PDA

View Full Version : Told Not to Squat or Deadlift Anymore

BilltheButcher
11-26-2007, 09:57 AM
So, I ripped some muscles in my back about 4 months ago and I have been dealing with bad back pain since and back pain for the last 5 years. My doctor has told me that squatting and deadlifting is only going to irritate it and with the complexity of the back muscles he is not sure if it is a good idea to ever do them again.

A little background. About 5 years ago I use to lift with an ex-Carolina Panther and we were doing leg press and I was really feeling it that day and lowered the weight to low and rolled my back up a little and pop, felt some stuff give way. Dealt with the aches and pain until this past AUgust I was digging some holes and moving some big rocks and I woke up the next morning unable to move, my stomach muscles were completely contracted and I could barely breath. Took about 2 weeks to get back to minimal pain. I took 2 months off from doing any squatting or deads. Then I went real light, nothing over 315. I dead 405 the other day and felt fine, woke up the next day and back was all locked up.

Basically, the doc is telling me to hang it up. Starting physical therapy this week so i am going to see what these guys say. May get an MRI, but my lovely insurance is saying that it is not necessary.

Bohizzle
11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
wait to see what the physio says. I'd agree with the doc in that in the short term squats and deads wouldn't be a particularly great idea, but in time, if u build ur muscles back up again, I see no reason why u couldn't resume them, starting from scratch. keep us updated!

Andrew

markdk86
11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
That blows monkey-chunks.

Paul Stagg
11-26-2007, 10:19 AM
What, exactly, is the medical diagnosis? 'Ripped some muscles' isn't specific enough.

RedSpikeyThing
11-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Any chance you can go to a sports medicine doctor?

mickyjune26
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
didn't the founder of westside bb hurt his back only to come back and set many new records?

drew
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Get a second opinion. See a doctor who knows something about reparing torn muscle. Then get a third opinion.

If you have torn muscle tissue, you need to repair it. Ceasing weight training seems like a bs solution.

RedSpikeyThing
11-26-2007, 12:39 PM
didn't the founder of westside bb hurt his back only to come back and set many new records?

Yes, Louie Simmons did come back from a "back injury" - he suffered two broken vertebrae.