PDA

View Full Version : Denatured protein?

MusangG71
03-12-2002, 01:27 AM
What exactly does this mean? I eat a lot of soft-boiled eggs (just the whites), does denatured protein have a lower BV than raw eggs, or no different?
I've heard that a good reason not to eat raw egg whites is Avadin, which destroys biotin, by cooking eggs you prevent this - one question about this, I soft-boil the eggs (bearing in mind that I don't eat the yolk) so does soft-boiling cook the egg white sufficiently to prevent the avadin from destroying the biotin?
Thanks.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-12-2002, 05:54 AM
Denatured means the structure of the protein changes. I don't think BV is affected by this either, cause proteins are broken down into aminos anyway.

Basically, when egg whites denature they go white (this is also the reason why chicken breast goes white and beef goes brown and tuna goes browny/grey and etc.....)

By denaturing the protein you deactivate the protein's active site. So you deactive avidin's ability to prevent Biotin absorbtion.

BV is only really effected if you burn the sh!t out of the food eg if you fry and egg and the white goes like a brown lattice on the edges.

MusangG71
03-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the good advice.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-12-2002, 06:00 AM
Where in the North West?

Carlise way?

Podium Kreatin
03-12-2002, 06:44 AM
as long as ur not overcooking proteins, it actually is easier to absorb denatured proteins. y? b/c our bodies can't break down all proteins w/ our NZ's, but heat is an "unnatural" way of breaking hard to digest proteins into easy to digest. anyway, our bodies want the aminos, not the proteins (our bodies can't use proteins such as albumin, we have to break it down first, then rebuild their amino acids into whatever proteins we need)

body
03-12-2002, 01:58 PM
if you burn the fu*k out of the protein then they will be unusable by the body. But this will often make the food not very nice aless you like charcoal. the process will also destroy lots of heat stable vitamins. but it will kill off salmonella on a good point.
Cook your food, just do not burn it to much.

chicken - do you like your food burn't? as you seem to like denaturaing your food?

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Do i?