PDA

View Full Version : fasting?

aes1989
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I have friends who swear by fasting as a way to lose weight. What does everyone think about it?

VikingWarlord
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
You'll lose weight, but most of it won't be fat.

Don't do it, especially since you're just starting. If you must know, read up on Intermittent Fasting and PSMF.

WBBIRL
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Your not FAT and you don't need to lose weight.

Why do you think you have to starve yourself? Have you seen how fat most people in america is these days?

If you want to lose fat, read all the info in built's signature and then go eat a ham sandwich ;)

chinaz
11-26-2007, 05:27 PM
You will lose weight,

but not your fat.

VikingWarlord
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
If you want to lose fat, read all the info in built's signature and then go eat a ham sandwich ;)

Actually, if you read all the info there, you'll eat the ham sandwich without the bread.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I have friends who swear by fasting as a way to lose weight. What does everyone think about it?I'll tell you this now: NEVER EVER GO TO YOUR FRIENDS FOR DIETING ADVICE.

:)

Plenty of helpful (and healthy) advice on this site.

Majestic
11-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I have friends who swear by fasting as a way to lose precious muscle. What does everyone think about it?

Fixed.

nhlfan
11-26-2007, 11:35 PM
it's a poor idea, especially for women, because they struggle to put lean muscle back on.

Built
11-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Thanks guys!

Another soul saved. :)

Max Thunder
11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Intermittent fasting + keto diet. You'll lose fat very fast while preserving the muscles.

brihead301
11-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Ya, you don't want to do that. That's the worst way to lose weight. My stupid a** roommate thinks the same thing. He's got a slight gut (because he drinks all the time, and he eats ramen noodles and strombolis for dinner everyday), so he decided that he's not going to eat anything for a whole week. What will end up happening to him is he will still have his gut, but the rest of his body will be all weak looking due to the muscle loss.

That also really f***s up your metabolism, so once you do start eating again, you won't burn fat nearly as easily as you would if you would've just kept eating like normal.

Don't fast.

brihead301
11-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Intermittent fasting + keto diet. You'll lose fat very fast while preserving the muscles.

Very unnessecary for her.

A good, healthy diet and some weights is all she needs.

Torrok
11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
lmao.. fasting is a religious deal, its a connection between god and yourself(not preaching here, im christian)

sry but its not fasting, ur friend is anorexic.....

and tell ur friend to vist the first site down below(signature)

235orbust
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
^^^agreed. Fasting is just a sexy name for starving yourself. But it does work to lose weight(have you ever seen a fat muslim)? but probably not is going to help you reach your goals(have you ever seen a ripped muslim)?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 09:06 PM
But it does work to lose weight(have you ever seen a fat muslim)?Please don't combine the word "work" with a narrow view. Yes, I've seen a fat Muslim before. That's like saying...yes...not eating works...just look at Ethiopia. Give me a break. That should be an example of how not eating is bad for your health.

mc wb
12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I have friends who swear by fasting as a way to lose weight. What does everyone think about it?

hi there,
I tend to go to the science to check out claims about results.

as others have said, it takes a long time to start accessing fat on a fast. here's what we know about how the body works, in a fast of any duration, after the carb sources are burned, protein goes before fat. That means muscle. easier energy source. Catabolism.

Also, fat doesn't like to burn without carbs present. So turning off the carb supply makes life hard for fat metabolism. And finally, your body will go into starvation mode when fasting for awhile, and that means it will horde those fat stores. Also, your body will start hoarding calories again once you start back eating initially, so you may even notice your weight going up after a fast.

Finally, there's no science -really none - to support fasting as a good way to lose weight.

I know of sports types who say fasting one day a week, too, is a good way to reset the system etc. Again, no science to show that there's any endrocrine benefit to denying your system, including your brain, nutrients to function.

it's a drag that there's no super fast magic strategy to lose weight. it takes a good program and discipline.

are you looking for a good strategy for your diet?

best
dr mc wb

Max Thunder
12-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Also, fat doesn't like to burn without carbs present. So turning off the carb supply makes life hard for fat metabolism.

LMAO!

Unreal
12-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Pee Wee's word of the day "Ketosis".

Slim Schaedle
12-05-2007, 07:57 AM
hi there,
I tend to go to the science to check out claims about results.

as others have said, it takes a long time to start accessing fat on a fast. here's what we know about how the body works, in a fast of any duration, after the carb sources are burned, protein goes before fat. That means muscle. easier energy source. Catabolism.

Also, fat doesn't like to burn without carbs present. So turning off the carb supply makes life hard for fat metabolism. And finally, your body will go into starvation mode when fasting for awhile, and that means it will horde those fat stores. Also, your body will start hoarding calories again once you start back eating initially, so you may even notice your weight going up after a fast.

Finally, there's no science -really none - to support fasting as a good way to lose weight.

I know of sports types who say fasting one day a week, too, is a good way to reset the system etc. Again, no science to show that there's any endrocrine benefit to denying your system, including your brain, nutrients to function.

it's a drag that there's no super fast magic strategy to lose weight. it takes a good program and discipline.

are you looking for a good strategy for your diet?

best
dr mc wb

As I asked in another thread, what field do you specialize in?

BBB
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Quit looking for a quick fix.

Eat a little less than you need.
More a little more.
Lift heavy to preserve lbm.

Wash, rinse, repeat...forever.

It's really is that simple.

shazoo123
12-05-2007, 09:04 AM
^^^agreed. Fasting is just a sexy name for starving yourself. But it does work to lose weight(have you ever seen a fat muslim)? but probably not is going to help you reach your goals(have you ever seen a ripped muslim)?

whats up with these huge generalizations about people of a certain religion? You have no credibility in your statements.
I'm muslim, i'm not fat, im not skinny. I like to believe in pretty good shape for my size.

Holto
12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
As I asked in another thread, what field do you specialize in?

I bet his last name rhymes with 'Chode' ;)