PDA

View Full Version : excited to lift??

andrewnp
11-27-2007, 05:06 AM
like an adrenaline rush just thinking of squatting or improving your lifts? today is 3rd week 1st workout of rippetoe's and i am just psyched to go and lift. last night i was mad it was my off day.

might have something to do with my girl saying she can tell i am getting bigger every time i see her (see her like once a week)

garjagan
11-27-2007, 06:23 AM
I do know that feeling. I have only been dedicated to a regular like clockwork determined, planned, 3-day split for the past 4 months so maybe it's got something to do with that.

But I did read somewhere that "if you dont get a little nervous before you train, you dont train hard enough"

Cirino83
11-27-2007, 08:38 AM
give it a year or so and there will be many nights where you will have to drag yourself to the gym. Most of the time I enjoy it, but on occasion I have no motivation and have to just man up and go. Getting compliments about your size is great motivation though, especially from the ladies :D

Bergs
11-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Is it bad that the only times I can't wait to get to the gym are days when I'm maxing out on deadlift? Otherwise, the gym only represents pain and suffering.

brihead301
11-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I was really excited to go to the gym yesterday because I just got done taking a 1 1/2 week break, which I really needed. I'm usually pretty excited to go, but sometimes I do dread it.

andrewnp
11-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I do know that feeling. I have only been dedicated to a regular like clockwork determined, planned, 3-day split for the past 4 months so maybe it's got something to do with that.

But I did read somewhere that "if you dont get a little nervous before you train, you dont train hard enough"

that quote is in my AIM profile.

Keith
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
give it a year or so and there will be many nights where you will have to drag yourself to the gym.

A year? Damn, I consider myself lucky then. I've been training for 6+ years (2 1/2 seriously), and I enjoy it now then I ever have. I love training days and hate off days. Sure, you'll come across days where you'll lethargic and not wanting to train, but that is very rare for me and there's always a reason for it too.

Guido
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
On days I go to the gym, it's all I can think about all day till I get there. I live and breathe it. Sure, I get nervous when I'm going for a new PR, but I love the feeling you get when you reach that new milestone and the temporary high you get after you've lifted heavy iron and walk out of the gym.

FiveSpeedG
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Congrats! I'm going through the same thing...just entering my 4th week of Rippetoe's here. Around week 3.5 there was a disaster involving a day off and too much Turkey, but other than that, have been very excited each time I go in to lift.

So...here's to progress and a great lifting program!! :clap:

zztoproadster
11-28-2007, 07:51 PM
what is this rippetoe crap people keep talkin about?

Sidior
11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
what is this rippetoe crap people keep talkin about?

If you are going to insult it without even knowing what it is you must be ****ing ******ed expecting to get an answer. Do a search yourself.

andrewnp
11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
id be excited to lift tomorrow. but my knee is BEAT right now, i thought it would go away(killer pain whenever i get around parallel on ym squat or when i locked it straight, but now it just hurts at any bent point). going for an MRI tomorrow afterschool with my dad. will let it heal up for a minute then go back to lifting, hopefully be able to do SOMETHING while having a bum knee. can still get my bench in to advance that weight, sitting OH press, machine rows, and reverse hypers. no leg work until i know it is 100%

zztoproadster
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM
i wasn't insulting it, but i'm sorry that i hurt your sensitive feelings, oh master of the rippetoe workout.
i did look it up, though. it is crap. FYI

deeder
11-28-2007, 11:16 PM
i wasn't insulting it, but i'm sorry that i hurt your sensitive feelings, oh master of the rippetoe workout.

LOL!

You are full of wonderful information today! Care to explain why it's crap?

Edit:
I don't see your stay at WBB being a very long one.

zztoproadster
11-28-2007, 11:34 PM
because i'm tired of people ( ;) ) that dont know anything about powerlifting spreadin their crap all the time to young people that don't know any better. the rippetoe workout = sets of 5, more sets of 5, and then i stopped there. 5's are for bodybuilding, not powerlifting. i just meant it was crap for powerlifting, good for bodybuilding.

Sidior
11-28-2007, 11:59 PM
because i'm tired of people ( ;) ) that dont know anything about powerlifting spreadin their crap all the time to young people that don't know any better. the rippetoe workout = sets of 5, more sets of 5, and then i stopped there. 5's are for bodybuilding, not powerlifting. i just meant it was crap for powerlifting, good for bodybuilding.

The OP started a thread because his training was going well and he was excited, he did not ask for any advice. Ragging on his routine for no reason does not serve a single positive function.

Sidior
11-29-2007, 12:01 AM

FYI I don't train using Rippetoe.

Ryano
11-29-2007, 07:01 AM
I get depressed if I have to miss a workout. I love the competition between me & the weight as well as the comraderie with the other lifters.

samj
11-29-2007, 07:13 AM
5 reps is not bodybuilding

garjagan
11-29-2007, 07:33 AM
5 reps is not bodybuilding

No. It'd hardly give a pump. More like 15.

FiveSpeedG
11-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Rippetoe's book is actually hundreds of pages written about proper form on SQUATS, DEADS, PRESSES, and CLEANS. The programming section is very short and is geared towards beginners. If you can find a better book on form, let me know.

So, I can see how you'd disagree with the programming section. But you can't disagree with the fact that beginners are able to make very serious gains on a relatively simple program/routine using compound lifts as outlined in the book.

On behalf of all of us...shut up and go lift :lurk:

zztoproadster
11-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Rippetoe's book is actually hundreds of pages written about proper form on SQUATS, DEADS, PRESSES, and CLEANS. The programming section is very short and is geared towards beginners. If you can find a better book on form, let me know.

So, I can see how you'd disagree with the programming section. But you can't disagree with the fact that beginners are able to make very serious gains on a relatively simple program/routine using compound lifts as outlined in the book.

On behalf of all of us...shut up and go lift :lurk:

i sets of 5 are good for beginners, i didn't disagree with that. for the book, Louie Simmons has one coming out soon. or just read his articles for the last 15 years or so.

zztoproadster
11-29-2007, 11:35 AM
No. It'd hardly give a pump. More like 15.

pump doesn't mean bodybuilding. bodybuilding is about building as much muscle mass as you can and then cutting back for definition. sets of 15 will pump you up, and then go down after an hour...sets of 5 will build muscle mass, but not pump you up as much. sets of 15 would be to cut back for definition

Guido
11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
People, this thread is not about the pros or cons of Rippetoe. Keep it on topic.

zztoproadster
11-29-2007, 02:36 PM
sorry