PDA

View Full Version : carbs.

aes1989
11-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I am a carb junkie.
I love Pasta and bread.
Since I am trying to lose weight this is a problem.
I've been searching here but I can't find anything because you guys are all trying to bulk.
What kind of carbs should I be eating to LOSE weight? I want to build muscle but lose fat at the same time.
I know I'm going to have to cut my carbs, but how much?
I've been reading built's stuff but I just don't get it.
Help please.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, especially with women having high estrogen levels...this does not allow for muscle mass to be easily attainable. Eating the right kind of carbs does not make you lose weight. Carbs don't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, and protein does not make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. In order to lose weight, you need to expend more energy (your total calories you burn in a day) than you are taking in (the calories you eat all day). In order to figure out how to do this, you need to start tracking your diet. Go to www.fitday.com and sign up for a free account. Start plugging in everything you eat.

Everyone has their on BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). The BMR is basically this: If you were to do nothing all day long and just lay there, you would burn a certain amount of calories. It's the calories you burn simply by being awake. Then the rest of the calories you burn come from the activities you do during the day (walking around, working out, the calories burned during digestion, etc.). You need to figure out what your maintenance calories are. Your maintenance calories are the calories you can consume during the day without gaining or losing any weight. Then you adjust from there. You have to find this caloric intake through trial and error and taking a few minutes a day to use FitDay. After a while, this will become easier and you'll get the hang of it and you'll learn a lot about yourself and your body in the process, which is always a bonus. [on a side note, as you obtain more lean body mass, your metabolism will increase, and your BMR will change, and it will be easier for you to burn fat in the future]

Track your calories for a week on www.fitday.com and after the week is up, come here and post a link to your diet journal so we can take a look at your current diet and figure out what your average intake is. Then we can go from there.

Let's say that you start at 2,000 calories and you eat 2,000 calories a day, every day for a week. At the beginning of the next week, if you did not lose any weight at all, you should remove 100-200 calories and try for another week eating like 1,800 calories a day. If you are losing weight at this intake, keep eating that much until you stop gaining weight, then repeat the process again.

If you have a scale, great. If not, get one. Weigh yourself once a week, every week. Weigh yourself naked first thing in the morning before you eat or take a shower. This will be the most accurate weight. Go to the bathroom first if you must, but don't do anything else.

As for dietary guidelines, you need to keep your protein relatively high
so you can hold onto as much muscle as possible while you're lifting and losing weight. The dietary guidelines are as follows:

~ 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass)
~ .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM (30% of your fat cals should come from healthy fat sources, such as fish, tuna, olive oil, peanut butter, avocados, fish oil, nuts/seeds, etc...) - the rest of these cals can come from saturated fat (milk, eggs, butter, etc...)
~ The rest of your calories to meet your daily caloric needs can come from protein, carbs, or fat...it doesn't matter which, just choose whichever makes you feel the most comfortable on a cut. But remember this...fat is the most satiating and you'll feel less hungry on a cut if you up your fat. Also, protein requires the most energy to burn during digestion, so if you keep your protein intake high, you will burn more calories simply by eating protein. Lovely, isn't it?

As for what kind of carbs to eat, you should probably eat most of your carbs before lifting because you'll want to have a good glycogen store for working out and also because carbs make you hungry, so if you eat a bunch of carbs the rest of the day, you'll be hungry quite often. Also, you might want to work out your diet to where you can eat more at the end of the day so that you won't be hungry when you go to bed. It's also important to have a good bedtime meal because most of your tissue repair and body regeneration occurs during sleep and you'll be fasting for 8 hours, so you'll want to stave off this period of catabolism. Something like cottage cheese or a protein shake or nuts and seeds or peanut butter should do the trick...or just fix up something you enjoy eating before bed that's relatively healthy.

So anyway...track your diet for a week on www.fitday.com and the come back here and we'll begin tweaking your diet. Ask as many questions as you need if you're confused.

If anyone would like to add something or correct the information above, feel free.

...and Amy, once you get the hang of things, it will become easier and seeing progress will motivate you even further. So, stick with it and keep that fiery motivation that you have right now. You look great already, despite your views of yourself, but I understand that you want to be healthier and feel better about yourself. Just remember that you are your own worst critic and we're all here to motivate you.

Good luck.

arnoldsclone
11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
You can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, especially with women having high estrogen levels...this does not allow for muscle mass to be easily attainable. Eating the right kind of carbs does not make you lose weight. Carbs don't make you fat, fat doesn't make you fat, and protein does not make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. In order to lose weight, you need to expend more energy (your total calories your burn in a day) than you are taking in (the calories you eat all day). In order to figure out how to do this, you need to start tracking your diet. Go to www.fitday.com and sign up for a free account. Start plugging in everything you eat.

Everyone has their on BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). The BMR is basically this: If you were to do nothing all day long and just lay there, you would burn a certain amount of calories. It's the calories you burn simply by being awake. Then the rest of the calories you burn come from the activities you do during the day (walking around, working out, the calories burned during digestion, etc.). You need to figure out what your maintenance calories are. Your maintenance calories are the calories you can consume during the day without gaining or losing any weight. Then you adjust from there. You have to find this caloric intake through trial and error and taking a few minutes a day to use FitDay. After a while, this will become easier and you'll get the hang of it and you'll learn a lot about yourself and your body in the process, which is always a bonus. [on a side note, as you obtain more lean body mass, your metabolism will increase, and your BMR will change, and it will be easier for you to burn fat in the future]

Track your calories for a week on www.fitday.com and after the week is up, come here and post a link to your diet journal so we can take a look at your current diet and figure out what your average intake is. Then we can go from there.

Let's say that you start at 2,000 calories and you eat 2,000 calories a day, every day for a week. At the beginning of the next week, if you did not lose any weight at all, you should remove 100-200 calories and try for another week eating like 1,800 calories a day. If you are losing weight at this intake, keep eating that much until you stop gaining weight, then repeat the process again.

If you have a scale, great. If not, get one. Weigh yourself once a week, every week. Weigh yourself naked first thing in the morning before you eat or take a shower. This will be the most accurate weight. Go to the bathroom first if you must, but don't do anything else.

As for dietary guidelines, you need to keep your protein relatively high
so you can hold onto as much muscle as possible while you're lifting and losing weight. The dietary guidelines are as follows:

~ .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM (30% of your fat cals should come from healthy fat sources, such as fish, tuna, olive oil, peanut butter, avocados, fish oil, nuts/seeds, etc...) - the rest of these cals can come from saturated fat (milk, eggs, butter, etc...)
~ The rest of your calories to meet your daily caloric needs can come from protein, carbs, or fat...it doesn't matter which, just choose whichever makes you feel the most comfortable on a cut. But remember this...fat is the most satiating and you'll feel less hungry on a cut if you up your fat. Also, protein requires the most energy to burn during digestion, so if you keep your protein intake high, you will burn more calories simply by eating protein. Lovely, isn't it?

As for what kind of carbs to eat, you should probably eat most of your carbs before lifting because you'll want to have a good glycogen store for working out and also because carbs make you hungry, so if you eat a bunch of carbs the rest of the day, you'll be hungry quite often. Also, you might want to work out your diet to where you can eat more at the end of the day so that you won't be hungry when you go to bed. It's also important to have a good bedtime meal because most of your tissue repair and body regeneration occurs during sleep and you'll be fasting for 8 hours, so you'll want to stave off this period of catabolism. Something like cottage cheese or a protein shake or nuts and seeds or peanut butter should do the trick...or just fix up something you enjoy eating before bed that's relatively healthy.

So anyway...track your diet for a week on www.fitday.com and the come back here and we'll begin tweaking your diet. Ask as many questions as you need if you're confused.

If anyone would like to add something or correct the information above, feel free.

...and Amy, once you get the hang of things, it will become easier and seeing progress will motivate you even further. So, stick with it and keep that fiery motivation that you have right now. You look great already, despite your views of yourself, but I understand that you want to be healthier and feel better about yourself. Just remember that you are your own worst critic and we're all here to motivate you.

Good luck.

this is awesome advice, I'd follow it...

Kurgan
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey aes1989 i think scarz of pain has a crush on you.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
What are you, 12?

Con
11-27-2007, 05:34 PM
What are you, 12?

11?

WRT the advice, is calorie tracking really necessary?

It seems begginers, and im included with these people, that when they are told to track, think thats the most important thing. IMO, thats wrong.

Being consistent, learning better eating habits, and focusing on getting in the gym are really important at her stage.

Just my .02 cents.

To the OP, I'd pick up Flexible Dieting by Lyle Mcdonald. Its not just about dieting, but good eating habits, and will tell you the truth - but it will not be all sugar coated.

GL.

VikingWarlord
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM

This is the important part and answers your specific question about how much. In your log, I told you how to determine your requirements. My bet is that you're thinking too hard about it.

VikingWarlord
11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
11?

WRT the advice, is calorie tracking really necessary?

It seems begginers, and im included with these people, that when they are told to track, think thats the most important thing. IMO, thats wrong.

Being consistent, learning better eating habits, and focusing on getting in the gym are really important at her stage.

Just my .02 cents.

To the OP, I'd pick up Flexible Dieting by Lyle Mcdonald. Its not just about dieting, but good eating habits, and will tell you the truth - but it will not be all sugar coated.

GL.

Weight loss is about caloric deficit. If you don't know what you're taking in, you don't know whether you're taking in what you need.

Tracking is THE most basic thing to learn about weight management.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Tracking is THE most basic thing to learn about weight management.Especially for an 18 year old woman who's trying to cut. Tracking is absolutely necessary. Guys get so wrapped up in what they're doing that they seem to forget that diet and fitness is a bit harder for women than it is men...especially in the department of gaining muscle. Women do not have the same biology as men. She also said she has the motivation and has no problem being strict with her diet. It seems like she's ready to do what it takes to reach her goals. Tracking is step 1.

aes1989
11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Well consider this.
For the past 6 months until the past week, I ate 200 calories on Mondays, 400 on Tuesdays, 600 on Wednesdays, Fasted on Thursdays, 800 on Fridays, 200 on Saturdays, and 400 on Sunday.

I would walk/jog MINIMUM of 2 Miles a day. I would pass out on the treadmill. On a regular basis.
Why wasn't I losing weight?
Because at night, I'd wake up and binge like hell.

I have no problem being restrictive, as long as I can eat no less than 1,000 daily.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I have no problem being restrictive, as long as I can eat no less than 1,000 daily.NO. You need to throw this mindset out the window. This is not healthy. This is not going to let you obtain your goals...and this is absolutely not going to allow you to gain any muscle whatsoever. You want to look better, you need a lifestyle change. If you're not willing to take the advice here, then you are not ready to change your life, to achieve your goals, to look the way you want. Your current dieting habits are unhealthy and dangerous. You need to cast out everything you've ever done in your attempt to diet and start anew...learning...and absorbing...and applying tried and true dieting principles that have worked time and time again...not your friends' unhealthy, uneducated fasting habits that only lead to worse problems than you could ever imagine if this is your daily eating ritual. There is no reason on this earth why you have to starve yourself all day long and then binge...and eating 1,000 calories a day is a great way to never build muscle the entire time you are taking on this new lifting hobby of yours. Throw out your current eating rituals. Cast out any advice your fasting friends give you. They don't know the first thing about a healthy lifestyle. It's one thing to achieve your goals and look good. It's another to look good and look healthy. Over time, if you keep doing what you're doing, you are not going to feel good.

Now is the time for change. Are you ready to change or are you going to have people who have done this time and time again the right and healthy way and only moments later cast out their advice? Do not say "I'm not going to eat more than 1,000 calories a day". This is approaching an eating disorder, and believe me...that is not a road you want to take. I've just finally convinced my anorexic friend about the benefits of eating right and dieting the right way. I told her how to eat, how to lift, and she's stuck with it to a T. She is now consistently losing the right amount of weight and she's never felt better in her whole life, which has motivated her to keep going. She used to eat close to nothing and she had the hardest time losing weight. When you barely eat, your body goes into "famine mode", which is your body's natural defense against you carelessly starving your body. Everything you do requires calories. Breathing, eating, blinking, sleeping, moving, your heart beating, etc. When you barely eat, this famine mode slows down your metabolism to almost nothing and begins storing anything you eat as fat because fat is the best source for energy. When you don't feed it, your body has to eventually eat itself alive to acquire the calories it needs to keep your heart pumping and your brain working. After it eats away your muscles and everything else, your body begins to leech calories from your internal organs to keep the most vital organs alive (heart, brain, etc.). Do not eat so little. Do not starve yourself. Do not do this to your body.

You need a lifestyle change and the time is now. Don't listen to the uneducated about what to do to your body. Listen to those who have been there or have helped people who have been there and are educated in the matter. It is so important that you do this the right way. If you're going to cast out our advice, there's nothing we can do. There is no way I will help support you in eating 1000 calories or less. I cannot help you if you're not willing to help yourself.

aes1989
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
^^right, and thats why i said i wouldn't eat less than 1,000 calories a day. Read it again. NO LESS than 1,000 daily.

Sorry babe, but you just went on that rant for nothing. Not that I wasn't listening and I don't appreciate it... but I agree,and I was saying the same thing. :D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 07:33 PM
^^right, and thats why i said i wouldn't eat less than 1,000 calories a day.I'm actually thankful that I read that wrong. :thumbup:

Carry on. :ninja:

Sorry babe, but you just went on that rant for nothing. Not that I wasn't listening and I don't appreciate it... but I agree,and I was saying the same thing. :DLOL. It's okay. I type fast. My bad, though.

aes1989
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
sowwy i made you mad :(

Kurgan
11-27-2007, 07:36 PM
haha

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 07:39 PM
hahaDo you post anything worthwhile?

sowwy i made you madI wasn't mad, I was concerned. I've dealt with a lot of friends with eating disorders before. It kind of hits home on that subject.

aes1989
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I wasn't mad, I was concerned. I've dealt with a lot of friends with eating disorders before. It kind of hits home on that subject.

i actually have a friend who is a mem here, his name is absolut and he is how i found this place. he yelled at me alot, kinda like you just did. except on AIM. lol. and so here i am.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 07:48 PM
i actually have a friend who is a mem here, his name is absolut and he is how i found this place. he yelled at me alot, kinda like you just did. except on AIM. lol. and so here i am.Whatever works, I guess. =P

Con
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I just read through the entire topic.

Althought I still think you'd be better served to learn habits rather than dieting, I know(from experience) that people will only stay motivated to their goals, no one elses.

That being said, I think Scarz addressed everything you need, except two things. If you'll notice, he took 200 calories from 2000 calories, assuming thats your maintenance. This, which I doubt is by simple coincidence, is a 10% reduction. That is a safe reduction, escpecially for smaller individuals - you being a female are by definition smaller.

The other thing Scarz failed to point out, is that you need to be flexible and give yourself some slack, escpecially after hitting a benchmark towards your goals. Perfection isnt required nor a reasonable thing to strive for. Having a slice of pizza with the family now and again will not derail your progress, and helps to keep you sane.

Anyway, GL with your goals. I wish I had someone who took such an interest in me when I first posted.

PS: Scarz, feel free to pick apart my post and check for grammatical errors. Im trying to use some of the techniques in my writing class, but I doubt I did that effectively since I was typing kind of fast. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
The other thing Scarz failed to point out, is that you need to be flexible and give yourself some slack, escpecially after hitting a benchmark towards your goals. Perfection isnt required nor a reasonable thing to strive for. Having a slice of pizza with the family now and again will not derail your progress, and helps to keep you sane.Agreed. It's okay to enjoy yourself now and then.

Scarz, feel free to pick apart my post and check for grammatical errors.:p

I don't do that as much anymore.

Unreal
11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Anyways, try replacing bread and pasta with high fiber veggies and stuff like oats. They are more filling and lower in calories. Eating a huge stack of brocolli, green beans, spinach, celery is a great way to stay full, get great carbs, fiber and tons of vitamins and minerals.

Sidior
11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
carbs are delicious

CrazyK
11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
What are you, 12?He does have a point. Any guy who's asked a question like this has been given the "Use the search!@!#!$!#!" response by you. Just a thought :hello:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
He does have a point. Any guy who's asked a question like this has been given the "Use the search!@!#!$!#!" response by you. Just a thought :hello:I don't have to explain myself to idiots.

Jinkies
11-27-2007, 11:06 PM
What are you, 12?

hahahahaha that just made my day.

PWNED.

I would try to add something productive to the thread but you nailed it man.

deeder
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't have to explain myself to idiots.

Well I'm a senior nuclear reactor analyst supervisor trainer. That's right... I TRAIN the senior nuclear reactor analyst supervisors who supervise the senior nuclear reactor analysts who analize the umm... senior nuclear reactor...

My point is, you don't have to explain yourself to idiots but I am really really smart. So come on sCaRz... What's the dealio?:cool: :windup:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Are you kidding? Has WBB turned into a Kindergarten? And deeder, I've always respected you, but something's gotten to your head because you never used to act like this. :windup:

deeder
11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Are you kidding? Has WBB turned into a Kindergarten? And deeder, I've always respected you, but something's gotten to your head because you never used to act like this. :windup:

I'm sorry, I thought you'd realize I was kidding with that one... Have I been a goof in other threads too?

Anyway, I didn't really have anything to contribute so I thought I'd chime in with the idiots :bow:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2007, 01:47 AM
:p

I'm just tired today.

deeder
11-28-2007, 02:08 AM
:p

I'm just tired today.

Not me... Which sucks because it's 3am and I have to be up at 7am.... I seem to go through spurts of "insomnia". Once I'm asleep I sleep like a baby but it's falling asleep that is the hard part...

CrazyK
11-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't have to explain myself to idiots.Then you better explain yourself.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Then you better explain yourself.Are you going to be a troll or are you going to add something to the thread?

deeder
11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you going to be a troll or are you going to add something to the thread?

Looks like he was trolling to me... :windup:

May I ask what YOU added to this thread?

Oh, right.... Big long write-up... Uhh... As you were :)

CrazyK
11-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Are you going to be a troll or are you going to add something to the thread?You should stop being a girl and lighten up :)

deeder
11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
You should stop being a girl and lighten up :)

You came in 19 hours after me and tried to make the same joke. Stop being so lame.

CrazyK
11-29-2007, 12:42 AM
You came in 19 hours after me and tried to make the same joke. Stop being so lame.Aw you're on the rag too? :( Maybe you and Scarz can share some tampons. :idea:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Dude, is that the fat guy from Salute Your Shorts in your avatar?

CrazyK
11-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah. Donkey lips. Reminds me of myself right now :D

deeder
11-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Aw you're on the rag too? :( Maybe you and Scarz can share some tampons. :idea:

Hmmm... I was hoping to split a box with someone... They aren't cheap you know!

And Scarz, damnit.. Put the alien cat back as your avatar!!! lol!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm tired of that friggin' thing. Why does everyone love the cat so much? I didn't always have the cat, ya know. =\

It's like I can't escape the cat now. :whip:

Tree1
11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
For the past 6 months until the past week, I ate 200 calories on Mondays, 400 on Tuesdays, 600 on Wednesdays, Fasted on Thursdays, 800 on Fridays, 200 on Saturdays, and 400 on Sunday.
i hate people like that, sorry
i dont no how you could survive with so little food

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-30-2007, 07:04 PM
i hate people like that, sorryI hate people that don't know how to use the quote tags. :)

aes1989
11-30-2007, 07:15 PM
i hate people like that, sorry

well, im glad that you learned so much about me before you decided to make that sort of assumption.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-30-2007, 07:31 PM
well, im glad that you learned so much about me before you decided to make that sort of assumption.Don't worry. I wouldn't take much offense from someone that can't even spell their own country correctly.

http://i10.tinypic.com/8auodxv.jpg

Runty
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
^^ game, set, match.

VikingWarlord
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Don't worry. I wouldn't take much offense from someone that can't even spell their own country correctly.

http://i10.tinypic.com/8auodxv.jpg

Psst...it should be "his", not "their". Proper grammar is important if you're going to be criticizing spelling as well. ;)

Amy, is this stuff making any more sense than it was?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Psst...it should be "his", not "their". Proper grammar is important if you're going to be criticizing spelling as well. ;)Touché. ;)

aes1989
11-30-2007, 10:42 PM
yes! i am actually doing very well! check my journal for details!