PDA

View Full Version : Cutting too Fast?

royboy99
11-28-2007, 05:37 AM
In the last 3 weeks have gone from 21% at 81Kg (178 pounds) to 17.2% at 76kg (167.2 pounds)

Fat loss = ~4KG (8.8 pounds) & Lean Body Mass lost = ~1KG (2.2 pounds). Is this about right, or did I lose to much muscle and need to increase calories a bit?

Aiming to get down to around 10 - 12% bf before bulking.

Kurgan
11-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Thats too fast man. Id say aim for around a pound a week.

brihead301
11-28-2007, 07:17 AM
From my experience, when you first start a cut you tend to drop a lot of weight real fast (water weight I guess, shock to the system??? I dunno), but then it kind of slows down to 1 lb./week. That's what happened with me. I cut once (only once, and I'll never do it again), but this is what happened.

Start weight 195

Week 1 - 195
Week 2 - 187
Week 3 - 185
Week 4 - 184
Week 5 - 183
Week 6 - 184
Week 7 - 183
Week 8 - 182

I was shooting for 175, but I never made it. I started bulking again, and I'm never gonna stop.

BFGUITAR
11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Im kind of iffy when it comes to this. After reading a lot abour PSMF and UD2.0, I dont think losing weight too fast is a big problem assuming your getting all your nutrients right.

On a PSMF people can lose 5 pounds (or more in my case) of fat in 1.5-2 weeks. If your diet is right (very high protein) you shouldnt lose much muscle at all. I dont see how this is any different assuming his protein intake is adequate.

I know many people are going to flame me, but ask yourself the question, why exactly is losing too quickly bad?

Con
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Im kind of iffy when it comes to this. After reading a lot abour PSMF and UD2.0, I dont think losing weight too fast is a big problem assuming your getting all your nutrients right.

On a PSMF people can lose 5 pounds (or more in my case) of fat in 1.5-2 weeks. If your diet is right (very high protein) you shouldnt lose much muscle at all. I dont see how this is any different assuming his protein intake is adequate.

I know many people are going to flame me, but ask yourself the question, why exactly is losing too quickly bad?

Those are extreme diets, used specifically for extreme cases or people who want faster/better results.

Assuming the OP is on a regular diet, but still loses that amount of weight, or more importantly maintains that amount each week, then it becomes cause for concern.

But the again, as long as his lifts or performance dont crater, then he is fine. Doubtful with such a big drop however.

deeder
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Because you lose a lot of LBM in the process. :)

leetuck
11-28-2007, 05:22 PM

Yep ... I read on the UD2.0 that most people when they diet lose 1lb of muscle for every 3lbs of fat they lose.

Reading the UD2.0 made me realise that the original way I lost weight was absolutely stupid and I won't be doing that this Jan when I cut again.

If you wanna lose fat fast i'd say definately carb cycle, it's probably gonna be the best way to keep as much lbm as possible.

BFGUITAR
11-28-2007, 10:49 PM

Im pretty sure I didnt lose much LBM on a PSMF or on UD2.0.

And UD2.0 has the ability to gain muscle and lose fat at different parts of the week... so if a person lost 1 lb of LBM for every 3 lbs of fat they did something horribly wrong.

deeder
11-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Im pretty sure I didnt lose much LBM on a PSMF or on UD2.0.

And UD2.0 has the ability to gain muscle and lose fat at different parts of the week... so if a person lost 1 lb of LBM for every 3 lbs of fat they did something horribly wrong.

I've never played around with or done much research about extreme diets like that. I'm not saying that they don't work because, frankly, I have only a very general understanding of them.

You say you're pretty sure. Did you measure your bodyfat percentage and track your weight throughout the diet to see how much fat and muscle you were losing?

All I know is that crash diets (lets exclude PSMF and UD2.0 as those are designed very specifically and scientifically to minimize LBM loss) generally result in a greater percentage of LBM lost than a longer, less extreme diet would.

royboy99
11-29-2007, 05:02 AM
Interesting comments. Will see how the next week goes and report back.

I have been eating clean foods at 2200 cals. In the week have been doing a 3x cardio in the mornings, 3 x weight sessions per week and 1 HIIT session.

Have only been doing weights for 2 months and still building strength - gonna be a bit of a lightweight when I get down to 10% body fat! Looking forward to the infamous bako shakes after this tho..

BFGUITAR
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I've never played around with or done much research about extreme diets like that. I'm not saying that they don't work because, frankly, I have only a very general understanding of them.

You say you're pretty sure. Did you measure your bodyfat percentage and track your weight throughout the diet to see how much fat and muscle you were losing?

All I know is that crash diets (lets exclude PSMF and UD2.0 as those are designed very specifically and scientifically to minimize LBM loss) generally result in a greater percentage of LBM lost than a longer, less extreme diet would.
A PSMF I could understand, but not UD2.0.

And a BF% wouldnt indicate LBM loss.

brihead301
11-29-2007, 09:10 AM
And a BF% wouldnt indicate LBM loss.

But you could use it to determine how much fat and LBM you lost.