PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Water Retention

Hazen
11-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Little background:

I've been carb cycling since July. About a week and a half ago I had to be admitted to the hospital with acute pancreatitis. While there I was constantly on a sodium/chloride IV and I swelled up like a water balloon. Entered 160lbs. and left 180lbs, all water. It was very uncomfortable, but it all came out within about 4 days.

So then over Thanksgiving weekend I ate a lot, and I've been eating normally this week. I plan to start a slow bulk next week. However, over this last week I've started retaining a ton of water again. Up to 176lbs from 160lbs.

What is up with all this water gain? Is it normal for this to happen after coming off a carb cycling diet? I drink a lot of water everyday, close to 3 gallons (11 liters). I know its only been a week, and I'm going to wait it out a few more days, but I miss my abs. lol

Any input?

deeder
11-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't know what carb cycling involves but I'm assuming very low carbs most days.

It's normal for you to retain more water when you're eating more carbs. 16lbs is a lot though...

arnoldsclone
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
you're drinking way too much water( shoot for a max of 1.5 gallons daily), start drinking tea's they're a natural diuretic and you should piss alot of the water out, do some strenuous cardio for like an hour and you should sweat out the water......i can lose 5 lbs in one intense cardio/ boxing session personally speaking

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Little background:

I've been carb cycling since July. About a week and a half ago I had to be admitted to the hospital with acute pancreatitis. While there I was constantly on a sodium/chloride IV and I swelled up like a water balloon. Entered 160lbs. and left 180lbs, all water. It was very uncomfortable, but it all came out within about 4 days.

So then over Thanksgiving weekend I ate a lot, and I've been eating normally this week. I plan to start a slow bulk next week. However, over this last week I've started retaining a ton of water again. Up to 176lbs from 160lbs.

What is up with all this water gain? Is it normal for this to happen after coming off a carb cycling diet? I drink a lot of water everyday, close to 3 gallons (11 liters). I know its only been a week, and I'm going to wait it out a few more days, but I miss my abs. lol

Any input?Your 3 gallons of water drinking might be the culprit.

Hazen
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
My readings have lead me to believe that more water intake = less water retention. I'm not drinking anymore water now than I was when I was carb cycling. I realize I'm full of glycogen at the moment, and thus should have more water in my body because of that, but as the above poster said 16 pounds is a lot...

VikingWarlord
11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Like anything, that has its limits. To an extent, you're right, but 3 gallons of water is hard to process and get rid of, so you'll bloat up. That's the short and simple version.

Back off on the drinking, your body will readjust and you should just piss out most of the bloat. It's possible that you've got a stool buildup as well. If you haven't taken a good dump in a while, that may be accounting for some of that weight.

FWIW, I have dropped 12 lbs of water in a 2 day period in the past, but I'm also a lot bigger than you.

Hazen
11-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Definitely no stool buildup at this point. My increased carb intake has me going almost twice a day :p

I will cut down the water for a couple days and see what happens.

RhodeHouse
11-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Way too much water. You should enjoy the bloat. That's a good sign that your strength is up. Abs are over-rated. Anyone can get abs. Not everyone can rock the bloat!

Hazen
11-29-2007, 06:23 AM
I've never heard that before. What's the correlation between bloat and strength?

RhodeHouse
11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know if there's a real correlation at all. All I know is the more bloated and miserable I feel, the stronger I am. My guess is because the muscles are so filled with water, they work they way they're supposed to. I don't know if that theory holds any water (no pun intended). I also think, although it's minor, your leverages must be improved because of the excess water gain. All theory. I like the bloat because my neck starts to push out my ears. It's always cool when a girl says, "Oh my god. Your neck is huge." It's gay, but I like it.

Holto
11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't know if there's a real correlation at all. All I know is the more bloated and miserable I feel, the stronger I am. My guess is because the muscles are so filled with water, they work they way they're supposed to.

When they are rammed with water they are also well stocked with glycogen & ATP.

This is probably part of why you advocate the aggressive bulking. I did a 'kitchen sink' bulk once and I got crazy strong in a very short time. The downside for me was the months of cutting that followed.

SpecialK
11-29-2007, 10:19 PM
My readings have lead me to believe that more water intake = less water retention. I'm not drinking anymore water now than I was when I was carb cycling. I realize I'm full of glycogen at the moment, and thus should have more water in my body because of that, but as the above poster said 16 pounds is a lot...

This is what I was thinking as well. I read that the best way to prevent water retention is to drink a lot of it. Your body decides to hold onto water when it isn't getting enough from what you drink.

Don't pro bodybuilders drink multiple gallons of water per day in the days leading up to the contest?

Con
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
This is what I was thinking as well. I read that the best way to prevent water retention is to drink a lot of it. Your body decides to hold onto water when it isn't getting enough from what you drink.

Don't pro bodybuilders drink multiple gallons of water per day in the days leading up to the contest?

Click (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showpost.php?p=591275&postcount=216)

You'll have to register if you haven't already done so, but its worth the two minutes. The above is from a BBer who placed second for a contest he wasn't preparing for, and just received his natural pro card and won the comp he was preping for.

Searching "water" and "sodium" by "Sporto" will get you some other posts with his thoughts.

Bergs
11-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Being bloated also makes your powerlifting gear fit tighter.