PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Formulas?

NewTriathlete
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi,
Being a software nerd, I am starting to play with Optimizers and Linear Programming solvers, and I wanted to apply it to nutrition (nutrition fits quite well into the problem space). Can people point me to where I can find some research, (academic research, not something “Muscle and Fitness” put out). I’m looking for anything on nutritional theory in general, but specifically:

Satiety,
Metabolic Rate,
Macronutrient Needs,
Micronutrient Needs,
Caloric Needs,
Recovery Time,
Nutrition Timing

The basic idea of these solvers is that one would plug in a bunch of possible foods, a bunch of rules that must be followed, things to optimize for, and the solver can come up with a near-optimal nutrition plan. This is purely for academic interest, and I wanted to explore a space I know somewhat well and can use.

grtrat1
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Have you tried searching on google?

NewTriathlete
11-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Tried, but I haven't found anything useful. Either people selling stuff, or formulas I already know like BMI or BMR.

VikingWarlord
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Have you read through John Berardi's articles yet? I think most of those topics get hit in his stuff.

Holto
11-29-2007, 11:30 AM
I wrote some software that accounts for most of what you listed. I googled all of it.

mc wb
12-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Have you read through John Berardi's articles yet? I think most of those topics get hit in his stuff.

Totally agreed.

mc wb
12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi,
Being a software nerd, I am starting to play with Optimizers and Linear Programming solvers, and I wanted to apply it to nutrition (nutrition fits quite well into the problem space). Can people point me to where I can find some research, (academic research, not something “Muscle and Fitness” put out). I’m looking for anything on nutritional theory in general, but specifically:

Satiety,
Metabolic Rate,
Macronutrient Needs,
Micronutrient Needs,
Caloric Needs,
Recovery Time,
Nutrition Timing

The basic idea of these solvers is that one would plug in a bunch of possible foods, a bunch of rules that must be followed, things to optimize for, and the solver can come up with a near-optimal nutrition plan. This is purely for academic interest, and I wanted to explore a space I know somewhat well and can use.

So, this is way cool sounding. As another poster mentioned below, I'd really encourage you to take a look at the posts and articles on the Precision Nutrition forum (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cmd.php?u=f&pageid=643033).
Some articles may only be available to the folks who have purchased Precision Nutrition (http://precisionnutrition.com/cmd.php?pageid=643033) or other PN products but the support and expertise and REFERENCES are worth every cent if you're into this stuff. The staff on the site are experts and researchers themselves

best
dr mc wb