PDA

View Full Version : Lifting on limited protein intake?

TopCat
11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
So I am on a low iodine diet for treatment of some thyroid cancer. So here a quick summary of what I can/not eat.

No:
*Diary
*limited grain intake
*Only 6 oz of meat daily

Ok:
*6 oz of meat
*all you can eat fruits & veggies
*limited grains
*homemade breads etc.
*Nat PB (thank God)
*egg whites

Diet sucks, it is almost impossible for me to get my maintenance ~2700. Not to mention it is very hard for me to get in a lot of protein. Lifting is my hobby and I enjoy so mental it is very helpful. But I don't want to go lift knowing my body might not be able to recover.

What are your thoughts? lift or no?

deeder
11-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Can you eat nuts?

Since you can eat all you want fruits and veggies, look into what vegetarians eat.. Beans of all different varieties will help you get your essential amino acids. I don't know much more than that... Sorry!

deeder
11-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Oh, and yes... If you enjoy lifting, I would lift regardless. Your progress may slow but who cares. You're dealing with bigger things right now! Best of luck with the treatment!

Slim Schaedle
11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I need to research iodine content of foods, etc.

But, what about tuna?

You got a dietitian working with the doc?

deeder
11-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I need to research iodine content of foods, etc.

But, what about tuna?

You got a dietitian working with the doc?

I imagine tuna would fall under the category "meat" haha

A dietitian would definitely be beneficial :)

Slim Schaedle
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
I imagine tuna would fall under the category "meat" haha

A dietitian would definitely be beneficial :)

That's what I was thinking.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Typically, a dietitian works in conjunction with the docs. For example, there are typical cookie-cutter diet orders for conditions such as heart disease, etc. and the dietitian alters things accordingly. I was wondering what the case is here.

TopCat
11-28-2007, 10:54 PM
If you enjoy lifting, I would lift regardless. Your progress may slow but who cares.

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe if I attempt to keep the volume and number of muscle groups hit low it would be better. I'm thinking a hardcore full body day would be nasty with my restrictions.

I actually have a cook book so I know what I can and can not eat. It was more of a concern with the difficultly of getting protein. Raw nuts are fine as long as they have no salt or anything added. Only meat restrictions really are salt water fish and anything that is salted like lunch meats. I imagine a good day I will hit 100g of protein.

Part of me needs to just suck it up and eat, but damn is all the food bland. Wouldn't be so bad if I could use most condiments but I'm down to the basics of iodine free salt and pepper.

TopCat
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=Slim Schaedle;1831847]I need to research iodine content of foods, etc./QUOTE]

Ya there is a lot more to it than you might suspect. An example being that certain red food dyes are not alright for me to eat. So although I can drink juice and soda (hate pop anyways) I have to make sure it doesn't contain specific dyes... which is difficult. A lot of the foods fall into the category "I don't know" which means I don't eat it.

AKMass
11-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Is protein powder a no-no?

RedSpikeyThing
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Part of me needs to just suck it up and eat, but damn is all the food bland. Wouldn't be so bad if I could use most condiments but I'm down to the basics of iodine free salt and pepper.
Be creative! Google around for recipes and change them up to meet your needs. Berardi has a cookbook out called "gourmet nutrition" that might be of use to you.

Is protein powder a no-no?
There's a vegan protein supplement called Vega that could be useful, too.

Slim Schaedle
12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Soy Milk

cphafner
12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
egg whites = pure protein.

TopCat
12-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Soy Milk

It is a good idea! However soybeans are on the no good list. "Soybeans and soybean products such as tofu, TVP, soy milk, soy sauce. The NIH diet says to avoid some other beans: red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and cowpeas."

Either way I've got about 10 more days on the diet, just gonna suck it up. I eat a bit more meat than I should but I am very strict otherwise so I am not too concerned. In the future if anyone is curious about seeing this wonderful (:cry: ) diet and cookbook its free (http://www.thyca.org). Cookbook is on the left side, would directly link it but its a decent sized file.

Unreal
12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
I would be a lot more worried about the cancer then working out and gaining muscle. Follow what the doctors say then when your cancer free you can worry about other things.

samadhi_smiles
12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
as far as vegetable protein, you will need to research combinations of vegetables and grains that will provide you with a COMPLETE protein (all amino acids)-

Most are missing 3-4 types of aminos, but by combining them you get a complete (and therefore much more useful) form of protein for your body to repair with