PDA

View Full Version : 275lbs 35% BF Goal 210, under 20%

kevind345
11-29-2007, 09:59 AM
My friend wants me to help him loose weight and maintain what muscle he has now (not much)

hes 21 6'3 275lbs and i think around 35% body fat

he wants to be at 210, and 15-20% bf for now...

I figure his maintainance level is 4100 cals, so if he drops 500 a day and lifts/light cardio he could reach his goal in a year or so.

I dont know where to start tho, as far as good workouts, and frequency of these workouts, also any good tips or tricks as far as diet or exercise would be great, thanks!!

mickyjune26
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm no expert on cutting, but I do have some possible advice.

The biggest thing he can do is to learn to enjoy the process. If he can write down or think of what he likes about exercising and eating right, he'll be more likely to stick with it.

This is not a one-time thing, but rather a lifelong change.

Also, set small weekly goals with weekly rewards. Don't think about the long-term goal, except once in a whlie. Just work on reaching the goals for that week.

Can he get an account on WBB? A lot of people do better when they must hold themselves accountable in a community environment.

kevind345
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm no expert on cutting, but I do have some possible advice.

The biggest thing he can do is to learn to enjoy the process. If he can write down or think of what he likes about exercising and eating right, he'll be more likely to stick with it.

This is not a one-time thing, but rather a lifelong change.

Also, set small weekly goals with weekly rewards. Don't think about the long-term goal, except once in a whlie. Just work on reaching the goals for that week.

Can he get an account on WBB? A lot of people do better when they must hold themselves accountable in a community environment.

Thanks! i like that idea, yeah he can hes real into forums, he just knew i know more about weight loss/diet and all that stuff so he asked me what he could do, so I thought id post on here for some advise, but yeah I plan on having him keep a journal...i guess a weekly goal could be like 5 pounds a week, he said he wants to do more than 500 a day so it doesnt take a year...i said okay 750 then but thats pretty high, how much below his maintainance do you think he could go safely?

if he cuts 750 and works out that will prolly put him around 3100 a day is 900-1000 too much of a defecit...?

no_excuses
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
1-2 lbs a week is generally recommended which is 3500-7000 calories or 500-1000 calories/day.

As far as exercise, read thru the stickies. Lift heavy. Plenty of good routines around here...WBB, BGB, also starting strength and bill starr's. As you may already know, focus on the big compound moves. I'm cutting right now and do 5x5 sets and reps. Only cardio I get is thru rec soccer which is off right now so I'm really just lifting. Diet is the key.

BBB
11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
When you are that over weight you can safely loose more than a pound a week. At that weight I'd say that even 2-3 lbs a week would be good - at least to start. He could easily eat 2700 calories a day on not be starving my any means - especially if you help get his nutrition on track. That would net him 2.8 lbs a week to start. And again - when you are as overweight as he is that's not a problem.

scr5008
12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone...

I'm the subject of this thread... Kev posted this after we talked a little bit ago.

I've been reading this board the past few days, and i've learned a lot about cutting/bulking/maintenance/all that other good stuff...

But i'm setting my goal at around 3-5 lbs a week, i think (maybe too high to some people?????)

the one thing though that I'm really concerned about is the eating... I'm not picky AT ALL with food... and i know i can eat a lot less if i want, but I just want to make sure i'm not lying to myself...

for example... I just signed up for fitday.com and i put my meals in, so far (after lunch) i've had about 2200 calories (tall glass of 1% for breakfast, salad with ranch and italian hoagie and carrots for lunch)...

So my point is that I dont think I consume as many calories as I ACTUALLY do, so when I heard my maintenance is approx 4100, that surprised me because i thought i was consuming closer to 3000. But I guess it makes sense, after all...i'm the overweight one

I really think I can cut this down A LOT... since I am not picky I can just eat low fat foods and maybe have a protein shake or w/e for substance...

I just really need some guidance as to HOW much i should be eating to take a lot of the fat off, and not turning into a stick (which i dont think will happen since i'm a bigger framed type of person), but also how much cardio/lifting I should do... I'm completely new to this, I dont know how to effectively loose weight, and I think if i pair the diet with the exercise I can see results much quicker...

please let me know if what i'm saying is crazy or on track... i need all the help and advice i can get...

samadhi_smiles
12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Who told you your maintenance was 4,100 cals? Did they figure in that a LOT of your weight is fat and shouldn't contribute to maintenance. People that weigh over 200 and are LEAN have very high maintenance calories because they have a lot of muscle and muscle sucks up a lot of calories to keep them fluffed up with glycogen and such.

Your maintenance is going to be DRASTICALLY different from someone who is 10% BF, thats a given.

You have to experiment with your diet because no chart could ever tell you what you need to eat to maintain, gain, or lose LBM, since everybody's metabolism is different.

mickyjune26
12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
275 at 35% bodyweight probably is around 3500ish for maintenance. Subtract 500 for your cutting cals.

HEre's how to start - put what you eat in www.fitday.com for 3 weeks straight. If you lose weight, then you are under your maintenance. If you don't lose weight, you are over.

Eat 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Eat carbs when you get up and right before/after a heavy workout - basically when your body needs energy.
Lift heavy weights to get your metabolism going.

blah, blah, blah - repeat of all the WBB articles and stickies. :)

mickyjune26
12-20-2007, 01:58 PM
also, as for lifting - do WBB routine #1. It's a good start.

most of all - learn to love the process. write down goals. tell yourself why you love this. print out unflattering pics of yourself and hang on your b-room mirror.

just do it, for the love of god!

scr5008
12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
thanks for the replies guys

I got my maintenance by taking BW x 15

I found some good meal plans that I think I can stick to and I really am looking forward to it

Anyone else on this board that has any story that's been thru what I'm starting? I'd be real interested to read about your progressions and challenges along the way

awp326
12-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I was 6'3'' 310. I began commited myself to cardio until I was around 270. I then added weight lifting into my regimen. I kept track of my diet on Fitday. I was consuming appx 1500-2000 calories a day, with the cardio and weight lifting. I drank nothing, nothing but water.(And of course protien shakes). I built up my running to go out and run 7 miles. I did that by sprinting a quarter and walking quarter. I was shedding the pounds. Currently, I weigh 204-211, depending on the day. I am gaining muscle and strength, with out gaining hardly any weight at all.

scr5008
12-20-2007, 07:26 PM
I was 6'3'' 310. I began commited myself to cardio until I was around 270. I then added weight lifting into my regimen. I kept track of my diet on Fitday. I was consuming appx 1500-2000 calories a day, with the cardio and weight lifting. I drank nothing, nothing but water.(And of course protien shakes). I built up my running to go out and run 7 miles. I did that by sprinting a quarter and walking quarter. I was shedding the pounds. Currently, I weigh 204-211, depending on the day. I am gaining muscle and strength, with out gaining hardly any weight at all.

wow that is awesome....

that is extremely similar to what I want to do

What were the challenges...mental and physical?

And what type of diet did you have (other than 1500-2000 cals)

ie - did you stick to a certain select foods? how many calories were you consuming before you started to cut down?

also what kind of cardio did you do? How long/often? which machines/sports/exercises?

sorry for the 20 questions... but i think a lot of these answers will definitely help to be an inspiration...

Maj. Office Gut
12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
I lost 60 pounds in 60 days in the beginning eating about 1200-1500 clean cals max.. usually 200+gs of protien.. avg of 75 gs of carbs and 50 gs of fats w/ lots of cardio, swimming, etc I certainly did not feel great and my diet theory was all ****ed up from what I learned and am doing now. I didn't have much muscle mass to lose so I was anal about everything I ate. Lean protiens ( fish chicken, turkey only) , green veggies, no fruit.. complex carbs only etc Then I upped it to 1500 calls.. 100-125g carbs.. 10g fats more protien etc the more I read here..

But I didn't know much about nutrition.. I found fitday and this website about half way through. I am trying to help my brother lose weight.. was the road I took bad or too big of deficit?

Now I am eating big, lifting as heavy as I can and getting my sleep. But lots of co workers, friends, etc bug me because they are impressed how big and fast I dropped. I do not want to tell them what I did if it is bad advice or harmful.

scr5008
12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Well yesterday (first day) i tracked my calories on fitday...

i tried to eat a normal day, to see what i have been consuming normally...

i came in at 2748 calories... and if you take my body weight x15 to define my maintenance...that intake is WELL below my maintenance...

Soo... i think i'm going to aim for 1300-1700 cals/day...

does anyone think this is too extreme?

i'm going to keep trying to track my cals on fitday...and since the holidays are coming up... i'm not going to enter the SEVERE cut until after the holidays and when i get back to school (mid jan) since its MUCH easier to eat what i want at school and i can get myself on a very strict schedule....

what do you guys think...

say my average intake when i'm not cutting is 2700-3000... is cutting it down to 1300-1700 an extreme deficit?

i'm a big guy....so keep that in mind...

samadhi_smiles
12-21-2007, 07:31 AM
closer to 2k a day would be ideal, but I'll let the more knowledgeable folks chime in. Cutting over 1k calories a day sounds too extreme to me, but maybe the convention of 500 goes out the window if you are more overweight than 20% bf.

Again, I'm curious what others have to say.

scr5008
12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
closer to 2k a day would be ideal, but I'll let the more knowledgeable folks chime in. Cutting over 1k calories a day sounds too extreme to me, but maybe the convention of 500 goes out the window if you are more overweight than 20% bf.

Again, I'm curious what others have to say.

yeah it just seems like 500 isnt that significant...

and since i've drafted a diet plan (welll actually stole it from another user here) that is about 2000 cals, i think that would be almost perfect... and would even think about cutting it farther

Maj. Office Gut
12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
As of about 12/05 I have lost 75% of the weight I wanted and now I am eating 3000 cals 350+g of protien/200+g of carbs/ and as close to 100g of fat as I can get while doing WBB 1.1. I have gained weight.. but it is good weight.

I do not know what my BF% was back when I first started.. but I am sure it was more than 20% for sure. The more I began the eat the better I felt and the weight still came off.

Thanks for the help WBB. I am just curious if what I did is possibly "bad" for others. I just don't want to give bad advice.

samadhi_smiles
12-21-2007, 07:56 AM
yeah it just seems like 500 isnt that significant...

and since i've drafted a diet plan (welll actually stole it from another user here) that is about 2000 cals, i think that would be almost perfect... and would even think about cutting it farther
Just remember that you are in this cut for the long haul at this point and you need something you can maintain for quite some time. The more drastic the diet is, the more harder it might be to maintain a long time.

Also, you'll want to ease into the caloric deficit over maybe a 1-2 week period at least, not just cut all those cals at once.

scr5008
12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Just remember that you are in this cut for the long haul at this point and you need something you can maintain for quite some time. The more drastic the diet is, the more harder it might be to maintain a long time.

Also, you'll want to ease into the caloric deficit over maybe a 1-2 week period at least, not just cut all those cals at once.

yeah I know what you're saying...

right now i go back to college on the 14th of jan... so i'm going to still track my cals every day...and watch what i eat...and try to keep it between 2000 and 2500 (assuming my average is 2700-3000)....then when i get to school...i'll be playin some bball and working out... as well as doing the main phase of my cut... so i'll be down to a lot lower calories once i get into school... also it is much easier to control that when i'm at school

awp326
12-24-2007, 07:28 AM
wow that is awesome....

that is extremely similar to what I want to do

What were the challenges...mental and physical?

And what type of diet did you have (other than 1500-2000 cals)

ie - did you stick to a certain select foods? how many calories were you consuming before you started to cut down?

also what kind of cardio did you do? How long/often? which machines/sports/exercises?

sorry for the 20 questions... but i think a lot of these answers will definitely help to be an inspiration...

I ate chicken.. alot of chicken... very often. I work at a police department. So throughout the entire process, I thought of how great it will be to lose all my weight to make my job easier in the future. I ran up to 3 miles on treadmill at one time. I kept carbs low. But the thing to look for, as in bodybuilding also, is to eat alot of lean meat, such as chicken, turkey, and tuna. Cans of 99% fat free chicken are great. I would wake up and toss back 2 scoops of protien. I would eat a some source of chicken every 2-3 hours.. My metabolism was sky rocketed. Once I saw the weight dropping, and the compliments incoming, I would strive harder and harder to keep moving forward. I loved the whole process. It's a very great motivation when you get to move down in pants size.. from around 42 to 40 to 38 to 36 to 34.

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask

Aspect
01-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Eating 1300-1700 calories per day will be very challenging over any length of time, particularly if you also start an exercise regime. I'm not saying it can't be done (there are people in this thread who've benefitted from this), or that you wouldn't thrive on it - just bear in mind that it'll be hard.

Be honest with your Fitday logging. Does that 2748 really represent a normal day? Many people - myself included - tend to eat better when they're tracking what they eat, as there's a feeling of guilt if you record that you ate a load of junk. It may well be that your normal intake is actually well over 3000 per day...

The best way to find out is to keep tracking every single thing you eat for a few weeks, as recommended before, then see what it averages out to and see what effect it had on your weight over that period. You can then tweak your intake as necessary to lose faster or slower.

At your weight there's no reason you can't lose 3 pounds per week for quite some time. But I'd advise not trying to lower your intake too far, because it's just so hard to stick to. Far better to lose weight slightly slower but consistently, than to lose loads in the first fortnight then have a massive binge and give it all up. Keep the intake at or over 2000 calories, make it as nutrient-dense and healthy as you can, and get exercising. Don't get on the scales every day, or even every week; just concentrate on eating well, exercising well, and enjoying what you're doing; get on the scales a month later and you'll be pleasently surprised.