PDA

View Full Version : Natural sources of casein and whey

nddillon
11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Other than in supplement form, what are healthy foods that are examples of whey and casein proteins?

I know Milk has some of both, would cottage cheese be the same? Which one is meat?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, whey and casein are only found in milk products. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Holto
11-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Milk and cheese and Muscletech.

nddillon
11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I guess I am looking for someone to say

Whey sources
this, this and that

Casein sources
those, these and this

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Whey and casein are both derived from milk.

Bergs
11-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Simple wikipedia search reveals that whey is the liquid byproduct of curdling milk. Casein is what's left and is a major component of cheese. Doesn't mention any other sources...

Unreal
11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
There are more then just those two. Whey and casein are both milk products, so you would get them from anything derived from dairy. Cream, cheese, yogurt, etc.

nddillon
12-01-2007, 11:16 PM
You all don't seem to understand what I am looking for. I am sorry for not explaining it better. I am looking for Non-supplement sources for both whey and casein proteins, not together. An ideal reply would be...

Meat is a source of ________. Eggs are a source of _________. Beans are a source of _________. and so on....

is meat whey or casein or both? eggs? beans? soy?

For some reason I can't find anything online that has this info
I found this- Casein Protein is a milk protein extract recognized for its excellent amino
acid profile and digestion. Studies have shown that casein proteins may be
the better protein with regards to muscle catabolism. Studies that compare
whey and casein proteins during workout periods found that whey protein
exerts a far stronger anabolic response. When casein is used at other
periods the strength gains are twice that of whey. So a blend of casein and
whey seems to be preferable.

Does that mean that casein is only dairy based???

Sorry and thanks

I hope Mr. Mason reads this

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Meat is not whey or casein. Whey and casein are derived from milk. Yes, it is only from dairy.

VikingWarlord
12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Meat is not whey or casein. Whey and casein are derived from milk. Yes, it is only from dairy.

But where does it come from?

;)

ndillon: The question was fine, you just didn't understand the answer. I think it's been cleared up though.

mickyjune26
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
If you want non-supplement sources, powdered milk is a pretty good replacement. ...But it's not "fast-absorbing" like whey.

Why are you looking for a replacement?

BBB
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Whey is found in cottage cheese aka curds and whey.

VikingWarlord
12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Whey is found in cottage cheese aka curds and whey.

And that's why Little Miss Muffet was buff as all hell.

RhodeHouse
12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Casein and whey are milk proteins. There aren't other sources because they are derived from milk. Drink milk and you'll be fine. Don't make this harder than it has to be. If you don't want to drink whey or casein, eat red meat, chicken, eggs, fish, nuts, and milk. Problem solved.

BBB
12-03-2007, 09:00 AM

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5354/weightliftvn9.gif

Isaac Wilkins
12-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Jesus, people. Give him the blunt answer.

Milk has two proteins as far as you need to be concerned: Whey and Casein.

That's it.

Milk (cow) protein is about 80% casein/20% whey.

When they make cheese, they are looking for the casein as it clumps. Whey is the thin, watery stuff left over. They used to throw it away, now there's a market for it.

So:

Casein: Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.

Whey: Milk, whey protein products, and anything that whey's been added to in small amounts (check the ingredients if you care).

Cow muscle protein is beef. Chicken muscle protein is chicken. The little slow kid next door? His muscle protein is human, and it's probably edible even if he has bad genes.

RhodeHouse
12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Jesus, people. Give him the blunt answer.

Milk has two proteins as far as you need to be concerned: Whey and Casein.

That's it.

Milk (cow) protein is about 80% casein/20% whey.

When they make cheese, they are looking for the casein as it clumps. Whey is the thin, watery stuff left over. They used to throw it away, now there's a market for it.

So:

Casein: Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.

Whey: Milk, whey protein products, and anything that whey's been added to in small amounts (check the ingredients if you care).

Cow muscle protein is beef. Chicken muscle protein is chicken. The little slow kid next door? His muscle protein is human, and it's probably edible even if he has bad genes.

Eat the fat kid next door!

brihead301
12-03-2007, 09:53 AM

HAHA you beat me to it.