PDA

View Full Version : The tall deadlifter

Rawgrip
12-02-2007, 04:08 AM
I always had troubles int he compound lifts dead lift, squat and so on this is mainly of my height. I m 6'3-4 (a basketball player) long torso, medium arm length and medium- long leg length as you can probably see i wasant made the dead lifting type.

For the last couple years I've been trying to rack up the numbers whilst keeping an OK form. Now looking back at my videos in training i can clearly see rounding of the lower back ( a little) and rounding off the upper back. I've been doing allot to try and fix this, improving my flexibility, lifting lighter weights (form still ok but not the best)

I finally wondered could it be the way i lift. I use the conventional type mid leg spread and so on. I wondered should i try sumo, i haven't really tried it fully. Is there any major differences in both styles and is there any proper instructional videos or articles on this?

I would love to hear from any tall lifters

Lones Green
12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
i'm about 6'3, and deadlift is what i struggle with the most. naturally i started out conventional, but changed to sumo. i squat wide, so i'm trying to utilize my hips more and shorten the ROM with sumo. IMO i have a better chance of a big pull using sumo than conventional.

SDS
12-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Yep....I'm 6'2 with a 36+" inseam. I bang the bar into my knees everytime with conventional deads. They (knees) just stick out too far over the plane of motion. I do rack pulls off the bottom pin.

Sensei
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Gary Heisey was 6'6" and deadlifted 900+. It's not a height issue. As far as poor leverages go, sumo might help you out, but the only way to know for sure to give a honest effort to training sumo for 3-6months or more.

mickyjune26
12-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Record yourself and post it. There are many people that give good advice. I'll be doing that the next time I do deads.

dbc3po
12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
what do you weigh at 6'4. Im 6'2" and Im right at 295-300 right now and as I am putting on weight my leverages are getting better, im getting stronger and my pull is going up.

Hatred
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Im 6'0 and pull using sumo and squat wide. I could pull 500+ conventional but it was hell on my back.