View Full Version : Sometimes Living Down Under BITES

tomv
12-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Firstly... We don't normally have high school gyms... that small matter aside

I wanted to order

Starting Strength
Practical Programming
Supertraining

as these books have been recommended to me by a number of people and I am looking to start a library of strength and fitness training materials. I love to read.. I love to read about strength training.. It seems like a logical step.

The grand total of these 3 marvellous books is about $110 AUD. A bit steep but it's almost Christmas and I consider books a worthy investment...

BUT

D'you know how much the shipping is?
$115.

That's killing me. I'm essentially paying double for these books and I can't find them anywhere in Australia.

Well that's my rant over... But I'll end on a question. If any of you kind souls out there could verify if that's the cheapest I'm going to be able to get them shipped for? I was considering asking someone on this board to perhaps have it shipped to their household... and then ship them for me (I would of course pay for shipping and their effort) if it would work out to be cheaper. I just can't see why shipping is so much.

jdeity
12-02-2007, 07:47 AM
usps.com, ups.com, and fedex.com should all have shipping calculators. Play around with box size/weight and you'll see what it would cost for a shipment to your house from wherever.

tomv
12-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah... I myself tried doing that and... I got $290 :(. I know it's not _that_ expensive to ship from America as I've had some stuff sent out before, but I also have no idea if I was doing it right, how much the carton will weigh and how big it needs to be.

Looks like they might have to be a long term save.

Invain
12-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Any chance you could find e-books for any of those?

jdeity
12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
or scout libraries, pop into aus bb forums, or find some way of getting copies made locally? (not that I'd condone an illegal bootlegging of material, that was just for theoretical purposes :) )