PDA

View Full Version : Consume Protein every two hours?

pr3
03-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Right now I'm trying to improve my diet. I read one of Yates' comments in an old thread that you should consume protein as much as possible, at least every two hours. The other day I talked to this big guy at the gym and he said the same thing. Now, can you guys tell me what sort of protein should I consume every two hours? Whey Protein shakes or what? Please list some meals with protein in it. Thank you.:D

Plus, is having too much protein bad for you?

MRJ
03-12-2002, 12:14 PM
I eat a meal (which includes protein sources) every three hours.

Protein sources include:

Turkey Breast
Chicken Breast
Lean Red Meat
Non-Fat Yogurt
Non-Fat Milk
Non-Fat Cheese

Check the labels of the foods you consume and build a diet according to the macro breakdown of your choosing.

(for example my current breakdown is 35p/20f/45c)

YatesNightBlade
03-13-2002, 02:44 AM
Too much protein will be converted to glucose, if not used. So in excess it can make you fat ..... if your having alot of carbs too.

KenShamrock
03-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Yates where did you get that avatar, that is some wicked shi*t man.....

SOrry for offtopic reply....

KenShamrock
03-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey yates, what should you be eating on off days, Should it be the same as training days,.....(bulking and cutting), should u be eating the same amount of fat/carb/protein on non training days.

Thanx man.

xxslicexx
03-13-2002, 11:03 AM
TUNA = LOTS OF PROTEIN (~45g a can)
BEEF JERKY! = low calories, low fat, ~14g protein each serving usually
Egg whites
Soy hot dogs

EasyGino
03-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Too much protein will be converted to glucose, if not used. So in excess it can make you fat ..... if your having alot of carbs too.

Thats a very generic comment. Whats too much, whats too little? Everything will turn to glucose if not used... Would it be better to eat more protein and have that turn to glucose or eat more carbs and an average amount of protein and let the carbs turn to glucose?

YatesNightBlade
03-14-2002, 03:00 AM
It's geberic because everyone is different. OK Eat 30g of protein per meal ........ anymore will be converted !!!! Is that what you wanted to hear ??

It is best to keep protein high(ish). 30 - 50 per meal. But again it depends on your body weight and the amount of muscle your carrying. If your not eating enough carbs ... then your bodys going to use your protein as a fuel source. Keep Carbs high ...... but if you start to notice your getting fat ...... lower them.

and KEN. I personally eat the same each day. Except on Sunday when I eat anything, so long as Im getting some quality protein, even if it comes from Burger King. lol

hemants
03-14-2002, 07:03 AM
Theoretically, I suppose the ideal diet would be to take your daily requirements and feed them intravenously throughout the day at the necessary rate. But this is not feasible.

As long as you're meeting your daily protein requirements and not taking more than, say, 50g at one sitting then timing is no big deal because what you eat goes into an amino acid pool that can be used throughout the day. (I don't know where I got that number but it seems to be fashionable ;) )

P.S. If anyone knows more about the amino acid pool, it might shed some light.

the_hall
03-14-2002, 06:13 PM
I always thought it was every 3 hrs. No wonder im not putting as much muscle on as i want to.

YatesNightBlade
03-15-2002, 03:59 AM
ever 2-3 hours .... but IMO it depends on the type of protein. Whey being fast acting for example.

Shocker
03-15-2002, 04:07 AM
[i]

and KEN. I personally eat the same each day. Except on Sunday when I eat anything, so long as Im getting some quality protein, even if it comes from Burger King. lol [/B]

are you serious? Can you actully even order quality protein from Burger King? eh

I was wondering about that cause there is a Burger king near my gym and I would grab a double whopper sometimes when nothing else was open so that I could eat right after training. Otherwise I would have to catch a train home for an hour or so and the food just doesn't seem as good then.

The other thing that I grab sometimes is milk, cause its cheap.

hemants
03-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Yates, the question is fast acting or fast digesting?

Certainly whey is digested faster but again, if someone knows anything about the amino acid pool and how it works we'd love to hear.

Shocker, I dunno about Burger King but a Big Mac has the same percentage of calories from protein as bread (both ~=12% protein by calories)

Tiare
06-15-2002, 10:32 AM
For the amino acid discussion, the issue with how much protein you should eat in 1 sitting is more focused on how much of the protein can be broken down to the amino acids. Your body breaks your protein down to amino acids and re-forms them into tissue or utilizes them in transport and any protein that it can't get to it breaks down into glucose. Your body stores a great weight in amino acids in various tissues (your blood alone may very well be carrying 100g of amino acids at any given time, just waiting to be used!) so the odds are even if you missed your protein intake for several days it would not have an adverse effect on your body.

There is a great deal of debate as to how much protein your body can break down into amino acids in a given time period. The lowest figure I've seen is 10g/hour (20 to 25g per feeding) and I've seen people saying that you can break down 50g per feeding. Most likely it's somewhere between the two figures. Remember though that your body being able to break them down and your body actually breaking them down and using them are two different things.

A good source for information on amino acids is at http://www.nidlink.com/~jfromm/chem301/chem302r.htm though it says there are 8 essential amino's and in reality there are 9 but one of them is only used by infants.

Holto
06-16-2002, 02:29 PM
just to add to the above

your muscle and liver store a large percentage of the amino acid pool I have read around 80g's I guess this dosen't include the blood protein levels

Also I think consuming protein frequently encourages your body to synthesize new tissue to "store" the protein