PDA

View Full Version : Eating On Off Days?

Notorious
12-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I've heard that protein synthesis occurs for as much as 48 hours after working out.

So lets say that I work out in the morning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'm bulking at 500 calories over maintenance per day. So obviously, I eat the same amount of food Monday-Saturday, since my muscles are building/repairing on all of those days. However, the 48 hours of protein synthesis after the Friday workout will end on Sunday after breakfast.

So is there any reason to eat over maintenance on Sunday? I know it seems irrelevant, since it's only 500 calories. But over the course of the year, that adds up to over 7 lbs of fat.

Now if lets say on Sundays only, I were to eat 500 calories under maintenance. That's burning another 7 lbs of mostly fat in a year.

Does this work, or am I completely misinterpreting the meaning of protein synthesis? If you say it doesn't work, please explain to me WHY it doesn't work. Please don't just say "You're over thinking it, just eat," unless you're going to also tell me why this doesn't work.

Thanks!

mc wb
12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I've heard that protein synthesis occurs for as much as 48 hours after working out.

So lets say that I work out in the morning on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'm bulking at 500 calories over maintenence per day. So obviously, I eat the same amount of food Monday-Saturday, since my muscles are building/repairing on all of those days. However, the 48 hours of protein synthesis after the Friday workout will end on Sunday after breakfast.

So is there any reason to eat over maintenence on Sunday? I know it seems irrelevant, since it's only 500 calories. But over the course of the year, that adds up to over 7 lbs of fat.

Now if lets say on Sundays only, I were to eat 500 calories under maintenence. That's burning another 7 lbs of mostly fat in a year.

Does this work, or am I completely misinterpreting the meaning of protein synthesis? If you say it doesn't work, please explain to me WHY it doesn't work. Please don't just say "You're over thinking it, just eat," unless you're going to also tell me why this doesn't work.

Thanks!

Hi there,

not overthinking it, just focusing on only one part of the issue.

If you're trying to bulk up, you're not really trying to add fat, right? you're trying to add muscle. You're making fuel available to use.

my question would be a lot less theoretical - not knowing what your whole eating plan is:

are you happy with the weight/lean muscle you've been adding on your current course?

how long have you been monitoring your gains?

are you watching your BF% while bulking?

are you confident your workout regime with your bulking approach are giving you the muscle you want to build?

best

mc wb

Unreal
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Your body is constantly using protein and repairing all sorts of tissue. Your overthinking this. Keep your diet steady.

ZenMonkey
12-04-2007, 12:13 PM
his question was about unnecesary overeating. i think it is a legitimate question that was not anwsered in the above posts, i would be interested in hearing a real answer.

Notorious
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi there,

not overthinking it, just focusing on only one part of the issue.

If you're trying to bulk up, you're not really trying to add fat, right? you're trying to add muscle. You're making fuel available to use.

my question would be a lot less theoretical - not knowing what your whole eating plan is:

are you happy with the weight/lean muscle you've been adding on your current course?

how long have you been monitoring your gains?

are you watching your BF% while bulking?

are you confident your workout regime with your bulking approach are giving you the muscle you want to build?

best

mc wb

I've only been monitoring gains for about 2 months. I feel like I'm doing fine, but obviously I am also putting on fat (although I haven't been checking BF%). I can tell by looking in the mirror, and I'm just trying to minimize fat gain as long as I'm bulking (which will probably be well over a year).

his question was about unnecesary overeating. i think it is a legitimate question that was not anwsered in the above posts, i would be interested in hearing a real answer.
Yeah, I have yet to receive a good answer. I probably should have had a better thread title :(

Does anyone actually know the science behind this stuff? More answers/opinions would be appreciated.

Torrok
12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
now i cant tell you the science, but why dont you just solve this problem for the future? test it out, if it works GREAT! if not...yeah. that'll suck, but dont worry about it, 7lbs wont probably be all fat, and if it is..well then thats what cutting is for.
maybeh even this idea- dedicate sunday to getting in as much protein as possible with as little calories, maybeh load up on some protein powder. so you know ur still absorbing protein for you muscles and plenty of it, and not getting to many calories.

im no genius but i hope this can spark some..ideaS?

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I know what you mean here. I thought about it myself.

They say 48 hours bout our body doesnt work like that. By 48 hours protein synthesis rate DOES go down. But if your working out properly and religiously, youll always be in a muscle building state even for a week (althought I repeat, the rate goes down). It takes time for your body to come out of that state.

Its like running. If you run a lot and religiously than even when your not running your metabolism is still faster than it would be without. Your changing the way your body works.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and it sure as hell wont get destroyed in a day.

So do ya need to eat more? Why not! Its a bulk for a reason, use your time to your advantage and get as much muscle as you can while minimizing fat gain. In the long run, that one day wont make that much of a difference in terms of fat gains.

Notorious
12-05-2007, 06:01 AM
I know what you mean here. I thought about it myself.

They say 48 hours bout our body doesnt work like that. By 48 hours protein synthesis rate DOES go down. But if your working out properly and religiously, youll always be in a muscle building state even for a week (althought I repeat, the rate goes down). It takes time for your body to come out of that state.

Its like running. If you run a lot and religiously than even when your not running your metabolism is still faster than it would be without. Your changing the way your body works.

Rome wasnt built in a day, and it sure as hell wont get destroyed in a day.

So do ya need to eat more? Why not! Its a bulk for a reason, use your time to your advantage and get as much muscle as you can while minimizing fat gain. In the long run, that one day wont make that much of a difference in terms of fat gains.

Hmmm... alright, so for the of example, let's say that the muscle to fat ratio of excess calories is 75:25, 50:50, and 25:75 on workout days, off days, and the extra off day respectively (these numbers are completely out of my ass btw).

So if I worked out on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and ate 500 calories over maintenance every day the calorie breakdown would be:
Monday: Muscle-375, Fat-125
Tuesday: M-250, F-250
Wednesday: M-375, F-125
Thursday: M-250, F-250
Friday: M-375, F-125
Saturday: M-250, F-250
Sunday: M-125, F 375
Total: M-2000 (57%), F-1500 (43%)
Gaining 1 lb per week

Now if I ate lets say 700 over on workout days, 500 on off days, and at maintenance on Sunday, the breakdown would be:
Monday: M-525, Fat-175
Tuesday: M-350, F-350
Wednesday: M-525, Fat-175
Thursday: M-350, F-350
Friday: M-525, Fat-175
Saturday: M-350, F-350
Sunday: M-0, F-0
Total: M-2625 (73%), F-975 (27%)
Gaining just over 1lb per week

Would something like this work, since the rate decreases over time? I guess the flaw here is that we don't know the actual percentages, but do you think they're probably similar?

BFGUITAR
12-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I see what you mean but like you said we dont know the actual numbers.
Like I said, that one day wont make a difference either way. I would rather keep myself in a building phase than in a maintenance/losing phase.

While the rate goes down, definitely not as much as you put. And I would say protein synthesis would be higher on your off day than your workout day, or just as high.

jdeity
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

......... :bang:

Am I missing something? Just the phrase 'unnecessary overeating' pretty much explains everythign you need to know. Focus on the word 'unnecessary' if it's not making sense to you.

You wanna get big? Eat more than your body can burn off to sustain the skeletal muscle anabolism you so desperately seek. Eat *slightly* over that (which will be stored as fat), so that you don't short change yourself by eating less than what was needed to get the full anabolic results of your lifting. Cutting a little fat after a bulk is much more convenient than adding a few months to your bulk cuz you were pussy-footin your calories to add ZERO bodyfat.