PDA

View Full Version : Mmm.. Mmm.. Chili

Keith
12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I still can't get over what you get out of this meal and it's very affordable and super quick to make. Only takes about 15 minutes to cook from scratch.

1 kg of lean ground beef
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of mixed beans
1 can of diced tomatoes
Garlic
Chili powder
Cheddar cheese
Sour cream

This will be good for 3 meals. Double this if you want to freeze 3 and refridgerate 3 if you want it to last you for the week.

For those of you who actually don't know how to cook this, well:

- Dump the canned ingredients into a very large pot and leave it to sit at a low heat
- Cook the ground beef and toss in (I love a ton) of garlic and chili pepper as you're cooking it
- Once the meat has finished cooking, dump that all into the pot with the beans and tomatoes
- If you're ready to eat a meal immediately after cooking it when it's piping hot, top it off with a ton of cheddar cheese along with sour cream (goes amazingly well with chili), if not, cottage cheese, it cools it down nicely

Each meal without cheddar cheese and sour cream/cottage cheese includes:

1050 cals
92g of protein
70g of carbs - 19g of that being fibre
50g of fat

Very easy and enjoyable to eat, especially on a cold winters day.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

mickyjune26
12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
ooooookay, you got me. I'm going to buy ingredients for chili the next time I'm at the store.

Cirino83
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
nice. thanks for the breakdown too. I love chili :)

getfit
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Nice.I make a similar one but veggie chili.

SDS
12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for different types of beans?......pintos, kidney and the like give me gas to the point that I just don't eat them. Any beans out there that can be sub'd for the pintos that won't do this to me? Anything that can be added to the recipe to counteract whatever it is in beans that causes the bad gas?

Stumprrp
12-03-2007, 06:41 PM
one of the healthiest meals to eat!

RedSpikeyThing
12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
I have all of those ingredients sitting in my house right now :drooling:

EDIT: Also very good with sausage instead of ground beef :nod:

ryuage
12-03-2007, 08:49 PM
any crock pot chili recipes

Keith
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for different types of beans?......pintos, kidney and the like give me gas to the point that I just don't eat them. Any beans out there that can be sub'd for the pintos that won't do this to me? Anything that can be added to the recipe to counteract whatever it is in beans that causes the bad gas?

I don't know of any, really. Look around on the shelf, I'm sure you'll find some. Maybe compare ingredients and look for one's that may not have as much fibre as others do.

one of the healthiest meals to eat!

For sure, and a ton of calories too depending on the serving. Great meal to bulk with because I don't stay full for that long after.

I have all of those ingredients sitting in my house right now :drooling:

EDIT: Also very good with sausage instead of ground beef :nod:

Sausage?? Never tried it but I'm sure ground beef has a good amount of protein compared to sausage.

Well, as I said this only takes 15 minutes to make. I would think the crock pot would be used more for time consuming meals to prep and cook that way you could just let it sit. But no, I'm not sure of any.

Unreal
12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Google chili recipes or goto www.foodtv.com and search for chili. There are tons of ways to make good chili.

WORLD
12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Chili Powder Keith......not pepper. You're going to get these guys throwing in whole peppers and dying lol

I've tried his chili, it was really good. I'm going to start making some soon.

Keith
12-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Chili Powder Keith......not pepper. You're going to get these guys throwing in whole peppers and dying lol

I've tried his chili, it was really good. I'm going to start making some soon.

Ahh, thank you, thank you. There's a difference between the two for those of you who think they're the same. I found out this the hard way.

VikingWarlord
12-06-2007, 06:45 PM

About.com has a huge slow cooker section.

Chili (just like beef stew) is always better when it's cooked low and slow.

cphafner
12-08-2007, 11:17 AM
thanks for sharing Keith.

cphafner
12-08-2007, 11:20 AM
About.com has a huge slow cooker section.

Chili (just like beef stew) is always better when it's cooked low and slow.

Stew in a slow cooker is awesome. Toss in some beef, stew flavor packet, veggies (carrots and potatos) in a crock pot in the morning. Come home from work and it's ready to roll. I might have to dust off my crock pot. I like tossing in a bottle of beer for some flavor.

VikingWarlord
12-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Stew in a slow cooker is awesome. Toss in some beef, stew flavor packet, veggies (carrots and potatos) in a crock pot in the morning. Come home from work and it's ready to roll. I might have to dust off my crock pot. I like tossing in a bottle of beer for some flavor.

I have a stew in my crock pot right now. Prepped it before the shepherd's pie.

I'm gonna start a thread about it.

j8715
12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
use salsa instead of the canned tomatoes, it has onions and peppers and such and makes a much more badass chili. I'm one of the foremost experts on chili, I'm kind of a big deal.

VikingWarlord
12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Depends on the salsa. The problem with that is that the primary ingredient in salsa (besides tomatoes) is vinegar. That adds a weird tang that might not sit with people. A lot of people also prefer to use as many fresh ingredients as possible.

I also find that someone who truly is a big deal doesn't need to announce it.. ;)

A twist I mentioned in the stew thread...if you're using beef of buffalo for your chili, throw in a cinnamon stick and remove it just before serving. It adds a very subtle flavor that will be noticed but that no one can really pick out.

WORLD
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Cinnamon may be a good idea.
I also throw in canned corn, used deer meat instead of beef, chopped onions, some beer for flavour, tomatoe paste(to thicken the sauce), and any hot peppers (dry or fresh) to add spice.....mmmmmmmmmm

VikingWarlord
12-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure how cinnamon would work with venison, I've never tried it. I could imagine that might be good though.

Dorikin69
12-13-2007, 01:54 PM
when you are adding cheese and sour cream at the end throw some gerkins in the bowl. Sounds crazy but believe me, so good.

BFGUITAR
01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
OMG this stuff is incredible! I added onions and bell peppers as well.

I asked my roomy to try it and he count help but take several spoon fulls afterwards. I made a large pot which should last the week, thanks!.

WORLD
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Ya BF the good thing about chili is you can make sooo much and just help yourself to as big of a serving as you want..
But I eat like 2-3 bowls a day so it lasts only 3 days max.

fuzzbecool219
01-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks gunna try this sat wish me luck I **** up eggs lol

Keith
01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I think it's time to switch it up. I'm getting quite sick of this now but I have been eating it everyday for the past.. 2 1/2 months now.

BBQ'd salmon, sweet potatoes and peas... very clean, very quick and affordable meal. Tasty too!

Genacide
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
I make a recipe close to the original, but I also cut up a green pepper, add cumin, and a pinch of red pepper powder. Also great with venison.

manowar669
02-01-2008, 02:38 PM
My chili recipe:

Brown 2lbs lean ground beef.
Done!
Makes one serving.

VikingWarlord
02-01-2008, 02:49 PM
While definitely a tasty dish, I don't think that really qualifies as chili.

Blanche_Soprano
02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't eat beef, so the family recipe is with ground turkey and chorizo. We use corn and also mushrooms (I know it sounds crazy, but it's delicious) to make it different from everybody else's. I also learned today that our secret ingredient is oregano. There are a lot of other things too, like cumin and insane amounts of garlic. But the same basic, tomatos and onions. And of course, the final touch when you have your bowl in front of you, a pour of the beer you're drinking. Mix it up and mmmm.

kcurrin
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds really good, and healthy.

dividend
03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the recipe.

Shouse94
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I'll be sure to give this a try, thanks

atmzsa
04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
gotta love chili, i was so happy when i found healthy recipes for it