PDA

View Full Version : Overeating on training days and undereating on nontraining days?

samadhi_smiles
12-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi,

Just want to hear your opinions on this - it sounds like doing little mini bulking cutting cycles all throughout the week-

You eat over maintenance on training days (with more carbs) and eat at or a bit under maintenance (depending on your goals, whether youre bulking, cutting, or maintaining for the long run) on non-training days (with less carbs)-

Is this a smart thing to do? I've just been eating over maintenance every day and my strength and mass gains are adding up, but also I am slowly accumulating some fat around the belly-

I'm sure I could cut my cals back and stop the fat, but I also want to keep up the strength and mass gains!

Just fishing for opinions with this post! :)

samadhi_smiles
12-04-2007, 08:21 AM
The idea as it was explained to me was that you get the surplus of calories when you need it (training days) and you cut the carbs and total cals back when you dont (nontraining days)

Bergs
12-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I see your reasoning behind asking this question, but I think what you're missing is that your gains are made during recovery days. Thus, if anything, wouldn't you want to overeat on nontraining days? I'm not condoning either method (I prefer eating above every day =p), just playing devil's advocate.

samadhi_smiles
12-04-2007, 08:27 AM
sure, thats one of the reasons I ask - I just don't know enough and hopefully others can shed their experience-

I did wake up today (yesterday I lifted) and REALLY enjoyed eating a bunch of carbs and protein, felt like it went straight into my muscles

KingWilder
12-04-2007, 08:49 AM
that's hardly a mini-bulk and mini-cut

the overall outcome is going to be largely dependent on what your average calories look like at the end of the week

if your average is above maintenance by the end of the week...you'll gain weight, and vice versa if it's below

now if you combine this with something like Intermittent Fasting (this is actually part of that) there is a small chance of body recomp taking place and improving your health (I don't believe there are too many studies on this yet, but a lot of people swear by it)

Slim Schaedle
12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
:withstupi:

There are ways of extreme micro managing calories during the day (or even the hour) where things change each day and training adjusts accordingly, where the end result each week is fat loss with muscle gain.

However, with regards to fat loss, the average calories for the week still come out to be below maintenance.

Unless you are an experienced dieter and know your body pretty well (and can be a strict-ass mother****er) I would not recommend it.

mc wb
12-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Just want to hear your opinions on this - it sounds like doing little mini bulking cutting cycles all throughout the week-

You eat over maintenance on training days (with more carbs) and eat at or a bit under maintenance (depending on your goals, whether youre bulking, cutting, or maintaining for the long run) on non-training days (with less carbs)-

Is this a smart thing to do? I've just been eating over maintenance every day and my strength and mass gains are adding up, but also I am slowly accumulating some fat around the belly-

I'm sure I could cut my cals back and stop the fat, but I also want to keep up the strength and mass gains!

Where did you get this information?

There's no value in "over eating" on training days and undereat on non-training days

The idea is to match your caloric intake to your goals. That means eating appropriately on all days you're alive.

On training days, however, you may need extra nutrients.

I don't know how you train, but if you're working out for 45 mins in the gym lifting weights, you'll want a pre-workout drink, a peri-workout drink to sip during the workout, and a post workout drink of some protein/carb combination. 2carb to 1protein has been clinically shown to be a good ratio in resistance work, if you're not in a low energy intake, get real ripped phase (i can't post links yet or i would point to the studies).

The rest of your meals (about 6 rather than 3) stay the same, assuming that those 6 are appropriately balanced, ie: protein and veg at each feeding; big carb meals only after a workout, like breaking or lunch (preferably not at night).

That sorta thing.

hope that helps

mc wb

mc wb
12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Where did you get this information?

There's no value in "over eating" on training days and undereat on non-training days

The idea is to match your caloric intake to your goals. That means eating appropriately on all days you're alive.

On training days, however, you may need extra nutrients.

I don't know how you train, but if you're working out for 45 mins in the gym lifting weights, you'll want a pre-workout drink, a peri-workout drink to sip during the workout, and a post workout drink of some protein/carb combination. 2carb to 1protein has been clinically shown to be a good ratio in resistance work, if you're not in a low energy intake, get real ripped phase (i can't post links yet or i would point to the studies).

The rest of your meals (about 6 rather than 3) stay the same, assuming that those 6 are appropriately balanced, ie: protein and veg at each feeding; big carb meals only after a workout, like breaking or lunch (preferably not at night).

That sorta thing.

hope that helps

mc wb

Slim Schaedle
12-04-2007, 09:19 AM
hope that helps

It doesn't, because he is not asking about the typical protocol for diet and training.