PDA

View Full Version : How many calories to lose some pounds?

dday
12-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone, Iím new here, just found this forum today and already love it, the way everyone supports everyone is awesome!

A bit about me first, Iím currently 6-2 270ish got a nice gut from sitting on my rear all day, for the last 6 months Iíve been back to lifting again pretty serious, 4 days a week for about an hour a day. Iíve already lost about 15lbs but more importantly my pants went from 42 down to a 38 so I think Iím gaining muscle which is why the scale only shows 15lbs of loss. Iíd like to get down to about 225-230 which is where I was 6-7 years ago, pretty cut at the time.

My question is how many calories should I be taking in per day? My diet is where Iím suffering, I know how to eat to gain mass (more or less) but I have never tried to lose weight before. Thank you all in advance.

FiveSpeedG
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
You can find some pretty good calculators online that take into account height, weight, sex and will produce a caloric "spread" for you to include maintenance calories, and ranges for bulking or cutting weight accordingly. You also need to keep in mind your activity level, as that will affect what you need to maintain, gain, or lose weight.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of dropping lots of weight instantly...My rule of thumb is no more than 2-3 lbs/week, although I'm sure some who aggressively cut on here will disagree.

Unreal
12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Track your intake and find out. It is the only accurate way.

dday
12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys, I'll search for a calculator.