PDA

View Full Version : To Mike G. about training

RhodeHouse
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Mike,

You are absolutely welcome. That goes for anyone else that wants to come in and train. We have about 10-12 guys who bench with us on Friday nights. We run 2 benches and a lot of work gets done. Even if your goal isn't powerlifting, and you just want to get bigger and stronger and learn some good technique, you should make the trip.

We will make fun of you. We will tell you to gain weight. We're right, but it's all in fun. You can learn alot from being in the environment. All we ask is:

1. Shut up and listen
2. Train hard
3. Watch EVERYONE else while they're lifting
4. Save big questions for the end

We're all there to train and get better. We'll bull$hit with you, but after the workout. Whoever is interested, PM me or call me. 413-433-9026 Just let me know you're from WBB if you leave a message. Otherwise I won't call you back. Unless, you have ahot girls' voice.

Stumprrp
12-04-2007, 10:22 AM
im going to be another victim of rhodes wrath this friday, lord help me :thumbup:

Cirino83
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
although we don't agree when it comes to diet, I wish I had a hardcore gym or bunch of big guys to train with sometimes. all I have around here are juicemonkeys who don't know anything except how to take 45324324 dbol and walk around hard or people going to a fashion show directly from the gym. Very rarely I see people that I would actually take advice from.

RickTheDestroyer
12-04-2007, 10:51 AM
****. I'm perfectly willing to make a drive to train with someone making an offer like that... I'd just be driving for a day to get there in this case. If my girlfriend goes to grad school up there it'll cut the drive down substantially, and I'll totally be there.
I really need to find some of the big PLers here in NC to learn from, I know there are several of them.

Chubrock
12-04-2007, 11:11 AM
****. I'm perfectly willing to make a drive to train with someone making an offer like that... I'd just be driving for a day to get there in this case. If my girlfriend goes to grad school up there it'll cut the drive down substantially, and I'll totally be there.
I really need to find some of the big PLers here in NC to learn from, I know there are several of them.

Go to Clayton, Rick. Liftism.com. They've got a couple of guys that can pull 700+.

Bergs
12-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Hmm, trying to figure out if the 3 hour drive would be worth it especially the week after a meet... or even possible what with work and all.

I should've thought about this before the week before I move back to Chicago, I guess.

Mike G
12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
That's great. Like I said, when I get back into a real routine I will be stopping down. Thanks a lot.

RickTheDestroyer
12-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Go to Clayton, Rick. Liftism.com. They've got a couple of guys that can pull 700+.
I'll check that out, thanks Andrew. I know that Joey Smith has a NC APF forum (which looks like it has some of the same members). I probably need to man up and just see if anyone's around who's willing to take Justin and me under their wing. I've kind of been holding off a little until I get something like respectable in terms of strength, but I'm probably doing myself a disservice by waiting.

WillKuenzel
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't care who you are, you won't get strong until you train with those that are stronger.

Rick, as close as you are to those guys, I'd be training there everyday. Look up Team Torture. Chris Clark is up in that area along with Joey Smith and Greg Cooke. Team Torture would be ideal as all those guys are balls strong and extremely nice.

I try to drive up to SCB a couple times a month to train with Marc Bartley and crew. I might alternate weekends if given the oppurtunity and train with Donnie Thompson. You want to get better, you do what you can to train with those that are better.

deeder
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Training with people that are stronger than you is an absolute must! I always made progress training on my own but I never imagined I could get stronger at the rate I am now :)

RhodeHouse
12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Learning from others is ALWAYS worth the drive. Vincent used to drive 3 hours each way to train with Bill Crawford on Saturdays, and 1 1/2 hours to train with Glen Chabot on Wednesdays.

i drove 2 hours each way to traoin with Vincent before I moved to CT. Right now, I drive an hour to squat every Saturday.

People spend hours reading about eating and the perfect training routine. And not nearly enough time finding people to train with. Reading will get you nowhere. Training will getyou going in the right direction. If it's worth it to you, you'll make the sacrifice.

As for Cirino - you're in the boston area, right? Try Total Performance Sports in Everett. CJ Murphy is the owner. Tell him I sent you. There's also a place in Andover, MA run by Art McDermott. More of a Strongman facility, but I think they have all the PL stuff you'd need. A World's Strongest Woman competitor works there - Liane Blyn. Look in Wakefield, as well. I don't remember the name of the gym, but it's in the basement of the Town Hall, or something like that. I'v been to all 3 (Art's before he moved) Try them out. Boston is 3 hours from Southside, if you wanna make it a weekend. Drive in Friday and we'll bench. Then we can squat on Saturday morning and you can head home from there. Let me know.

Rick - Travis Mash is in NC. I'm not sure where. Check EliteFTS and i think it'll tell you where he's located.

BigCorey75
12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
i honestly dont undertsand why yall are trying to see eye to eye on diet with Rhodes??

hes a big powerlifter and could care less about seeing a 6 pack all he wants is more weight on the bar, and this requires lots of energy and eating tons, and if he chooses to eat this way then so be it, it suits his goal

if your goal is 6 pack and shiny muscles eat your way, and eating liek this is not for you, pretty simple if u ask me

its like going to a diesel engine mechnaic and asking about how to fix a rotary mazda gas engine

two different worlds here

and on that note, Rhodes i would love the chance to workout with you but unfoprtunately were to far apart to do so, so ill try and be their in spirit....lol

Cirino83
12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
As for Cirino - you're in the boston area, right? Try Total Performance Sports in Everett. CJ Murphy is the owner. Tell him I sent you. There's also a place in Andover, MA run by Art McDermott. More of a Strongman facility, but I think they have all the PL stuff you'd need. A World's Strongest Woman competitor works there - Liane Blyn. Look in Wakefield, as well. I don't remember the name of the gym, but it's in the basement of the Town Hall, or something like that. I'v been to all 3 (Art's before he moved) Try them out. Boston is 3 hours from Southside, if you wanna make it a weekend. Drive in Friday and we'll bench. Then we can squat on Saturday morning and you can head home from there. Let me know.

thanks for the suggestions. I am by no means a PLer or have any desire to do so, but training with accomplished PLers or even just watching them move big weight would be awesome experience, and would gain tons of knowledge. I'll check out those gyms soon, but I mean, all I need is a rack and I'm good. I don't need fancy stuff or chains or any of that.

I would consider taking a 3 hour drive sometime in the future, although I would probably be embarrassed to bench in front of you guys seeing that you all probably warm up with more than my max and can squat cars lol

fpr
12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Where is SSBC located? I'm interested in getting into some PL'ing, anyone know any groups in the Northern VA area?

RhodeHouse
12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
SSG is in CT, so you won't be making that trip. Put a post on EliteFTS.com asking for gyms in tyour area.

fpr
12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
SSG is in CT, so you won't be making that trip. Put a post on EliteFTS.com asking for gyms in tyour area.

Hey, you never know ;)
Thanks for the reference though.

TopCat
12-04-2007, 07:58 PM
not nearly enough time finding people to train with

You know what? That is the damn truth. Though I hate to admit it, I certainly fall into that category. Nothing sucks more than lifting with some buddies that could care less about it. Trying to carry a conversation while doing a working set is bull****.

RhodeHouse
12-04-2007, 08:23 PM
It's simple, but very overlooked. Training partners and atmosphere are huge. If the gym has a good vibe, work gets done. You'll thank yourself for finding like-minded people that share your passion for training.

elitepler
12-04-2007, 08:48 PM
People spend hours reading about eating and the perfect training routine. And not nearly enough time finding people to train with. Reading will get you nowhere. Training will getyou going in the right direction. If it's worth it to you, you'll make the sacrifice.

so damn true!. I drove 10 hours (one way) to attend the MM seminar with Sebastian. Worth every penny and the drive.

drew
12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I would consider taking a 3 hour drive sometime in the future, although I would probably be embarrassed to bench in front of you guys seeing that you all probably warm up with more than my max and can squat cars lol

We have guys that bench 300 and guys that bench 800 and everything in between. There is no reason to feel embarassed as long as you're busting your ass.

Bergs
12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
So... I see from EFS you're going to be at Lake George on Dec 15 for a meet. Does that mean no bench training Fri the 14th?

RhodeHouse
12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
No, I think we'll be there. Vincent, E-Bol, and myself are driving up on Saturday morning.