PDA

View Full Version : Calories burned while lifting?

FiveSpeedG
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
How do you estimate/calculate the number of calories burned while lifting?

I've been following Rippetoe's program for the last month and started from ground zero. I know I'm seeing results...starting to look different, feel different, pants are a little looser, and the plates on the barbell no longer get bigger--they are starting to pile up! I'd like to control the results--cut or bulk accordingly, so I think it's about time I start really tracking my diet.

I have a Polar HR monitor that I wear, but I'm not sure if that is a good gauge. I'm trying to calculate my daily caloric need, and the unknown is how much energy I expend in the weight room....Any help is greatly appreciated.

Unreal
12-04-2007, 11:37 AM
It doesn't matter. Track your daily calories and weight over time.

FiveSpeedG
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
It doesn't matter. Track your daily calories and weight over time.

I'm not sure I understand... Are you saying to just eat and eat if I want to gain, and if the scale agrees, I'm okay? And vice versa?

I'm just trying to get an estimate of how many calories I should be feeding myself.

deeder
12-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand... Are you saying to just eat and eat if I want to gain, and if the scale agrees, I'm okay? And vice versa?

I'm just trying to get an estimate of how many calories I should be feeding myself.

Track how many calories you eat everyday for a week. If you've gained, you are above maintenance calories, if you lose weight, you are below. If you stay the same weight you are at maintenance calories. Pretty simple dude. There's no need to estimate.

Unreal
12-04-2007, 01:28 PM
No, I'm saying track your daily calories and weight. Keep training and living your life. It will all be accounted for in your calorie/weight. Worrying what an activie burns is not needed.