PDA

View Full Version : What bands do I need?

Detard
12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
So my parents have agreed to buy me some bands for christmas but i'm not sure what I need. There is the band pack from EFS for $175 and it comes with 2 strong, 2 average, 2 light, 2 mini. The strongs are the most expensive and are what is jacking up the price. Do I really need the strongs? or can i just get 2 average 2 light and 2 mini's? I dont want to make my parents spend alot of money on me so i'd like to keep it under $200 total including shipping.

WillKuenzel
12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
At this point, I wouldn't think you'd need the strongs. Those are generally more for those squatting over 600, I believe. I might have the numbers confused. It was something lights up to 450, averages up to 600 and strongs up from there. But now that's not to say that you couldn't use them but they might not be a complete necessity. I might consider getting the averages, lights, monster-minis and minis. If that is too much, go with lights, monsters and minis. You can use more than one kind of band at a time so you can add them up together to get almost the equivalent of an average.

RickTheDestroyer
12-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm with Will on this one. I use the bands for a ton of **** in my little gym. Once in awhile you'll luck out and the Iron Woody bands go on super sale at APT... that's how I got most of mine. They seem as good as the jumpstretch bands, but I don't think they have a monster-mini equivalent.

Detard
12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
1 more question since I dont wanna start a new thread and you already answered my first one. I'm about 170lbs right now, looking to keep bulking to 200 in the new year but I can't decide what size suit to get. I'm ordering the Metal V-Type Squatter but not sure if I should get it in a 46 or 48. 46 would fit well now, but may be too tight at a heavier weight. The 48 would be kinda loose now but perfect fit around 190ish I think. Maybe even at 200 it would fit well.

Should I order it from Elite or straight from metal? Which will be faster?

Sensei
12-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Elitefts has great customer service. With your current numbers, there's really nothing you need the heavy bands for, and you could easily get by with just the minis and light bands.

RickTheDestroyer
12-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I've been pleased with ordering from Elite- and if you get the size wrong they'll exchange it. If you're planning on gaining weight I'd say go bigger. After gaining some weight, I can barely squeeze into the briefs I bought a few months ago, and I can assure you that I'm none too pleased.

Detard
12-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah i really liked the service from elite last time I ordered from them. Sounds good. I think i'll go with the 48 and 2 light, 2 monster mini's and 2 mini's.

Lones Green
12-04-2007, 04:15 PM
i'd definetely go with elite. my parents also agreed to buy me some bands for x-mas, i was thinking about going with the band pack. the v-type dosent have to be super tight to be effective, but some like to buy it small and stretch it out, so it fits perfect.

deeder
12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah i really liked the service from elite last time I ordered from them. Sounds good. I think i'll go with the 48 and 2 light, 2 monster mini's and 2 mini's.

I have a 46 V-type squatter (regular material) that fit me well at 195lbs. It's too tight now at around 210lbs. Even at about 205lbs it was very tight. So, if you think you'll be under 200lbs for a while I'd go with the 46.

I don't know what the viking v-type is like, but I have a viking squatter size 46 as well and it fits me like a glove right now at about 210lbs.

Detard
12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hmmm. Hearing that maybe I ordered abit too big? I already placed the order so when it gets here i'll try it on and see how loose/tight it is then decide if I need to send it back for another size? Or should I email them and ask if they can send a 46 instead?

Lones Green
12-04-2007, 05:43 PM
just gain some weight! :windup: nah, i'd just wait for it to come, try it on, and if its too big exchange it. (unless you need it by a certain date)

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I know this isnt the thread for it, but what are the differences between chains and bands? I know what they are and what they do, but dont they both get lighter as you go down and heavier as you go up?

Sensei
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I know this isnt the thread for it, but what are the differences between chains and bands? I know what they are and what they do, but dont they both get lighter as you go down and heavier as you go up?
Search.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=98284
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vAHvURlC3OA

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Ah ok thanks!
One thing I kinda picked up on was that bands may add weight at the top but drastically lowers as lift continues.

So bands are exponential and chains are linear... very interesting!
I think when im worthy of using chains I will, looks pretty badass.

deeder
12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Hmmm. Hearing that maybe I ordered abit too big? I already placed the order so when it gets here i'll try it on and see how loose/tight it is then decide if I need to send it back for another size? Or should I email them and ask if they can send a 46 instead?

My girlfriend just tried on my 46 v-type squatter the other day (I think I'm gonna give it to her for xmas along with her actual present) and it was a good fit, not really tight but a good fit for a first suit. She weighs 155lbs but has a pretty petite upper body. That might put things into perspective a bit.

I think a 46 might be a better choice. But if you're ok with starting off with a pretty loose suit and growing into it then stick with the 48. It will probably fit you nicely when you get around 200lbs.

In the end, you'll be able to use either suit. A 46 will probably fit you better right now but might be too tight when you get heavier. Whereas a 48 will probably be a little loose now but will fit you nicely when you get heavier.

Detard
12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Whereas a 48 will probably be a little loose now but will fit you nicely when you get heavier.

Thats basically what I want. I dont really want to have to buy another suit in 6 months or so.

jtteg_x
12-04-2007, 08:51 PM
id go through elitefts. plus, they are having a free shipping offer for orders $30 or more along with free t-shirt. http://www.elitefts.com/

at your numbers, i would do mini's for bench: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=138&pid=246
light flex for squat/deadlift: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=138&pid=247

later down the road, u can use the light flex for benching.

call them tomorrow or email them and request for a 46. i train at 205lb and i just barely got into a size 46 in the metal pro king deadlifter w/slippers. 48 slid on too easy. I wore the IPF squatter (single ply) in 48 and it was about right for me @ 200lb.

edit: you mentioned you're in process of bulking. 48 should be fine if you truly get to 200lb. assuming its your first gear of equipment, it should be a good leaner anyways.

Darracq
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Ironwoodyfitness has sale on them right now. Lots of poeple use them.