PDA

View Full Version : Diet and acne link?

Shouji
12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I hear from alot of people that diet plays a huge role in acne. Especially when it comes to breads, milk and chocholate. From my personal experience, I find that milk plays no role in acne, because I drink at least 1/2 gallon daily. But one thing I do find that does affect my acne is soda/energy drinks (not that I drink it alot, but when I do I usually find myself with a breakout the next day), coincidence or not I dunno.

But is there any scientific truths to diet and acne?

Cirino83
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I didn't search for this, but I would assume that greasy food would be more likely to cause breakouts than say chicken or steak.

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I hear from alot of people that diet plays a huge role in acne. Especially when it comes to breads, milk and chocholate. From my personal experience, I find that milk plays no role in acne, because I drink at least 1/2 gallon daily. But one thing I do find that does affect my acne is soda/energy drinks (not that I drink it alot, but when I do I usually find myself with a breakout the next day), coincidence or not I dunno.

But is there any scientific truths to diet and acne?

I wouldnt say it plays a huge roll, but for some people it affects them. The only way to really know is to drink 1 energy drink a day and see what happens.

Notorious
12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
It definitely does, but I think it varies from person to person. Some people are just mildly allergic to certain chemicals that may not be very common (for example, my mom gets acne from McDonalds, but not other fast food places).

Also, I heard that drinking a lot of water can reduce acne, but I dunno if that falls into diet.

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
It definitely does, but I think it varies from person to person. Some people are just mildly allergic to certain chemicals that may not be very common (for example, my mom gets acne from McDonalds, but not other fast food places).

Also, I heard that drinking a lot of water can reduce acne, but I dunno if that falls into diet.

Why wouldnt it? Water helps flush out crap from your body, it can help more than acne.

RedSpikeyThing
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I didn't search for this, but I would assume that greasy food would be more likely to cause breakouts than say chicken or steak.

I believe that's an old myth. The only things that have been strongly linked to acne are dair products.

BBB
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
The root of acne is inflammation. Kill the inflammation and kill the acne.

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Inflammation is caused by bacteria, so kill the bacteria :P

But the problem is deeper... the bacteria thrive on oil from your sebum glands. So shut down/lower your sebum gland output! How do you do that? Facial tretonoin or accutane.

Of course thats for more extreme cases...

To the OP
Do you use any medication? If you do please post your regimen.

Con
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM

How do you do that?

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
How do you do that?

1) Kill bacteria

Can be done with BP, benzoyl peroxide. This oxidizes your face killing everything including your top layer of skin to an extent (dry skin). Kind of like dropping a nuke on your face.

Can also be done with TTO, tea tree oil. Very effective for me back in the day. Smells odd, but you get used to it. Its like assassins on your face that only attacks acne bacteria. Very gentle on your face

Antiobiotics. DONT TAKE THIS STUFF. It can be oral or facial. Orally it ****ed you up because you generally take it for a long period of time. Facially isnt bad but they grow immune pretty quickly leaving you at square one.

2) Prevent bacteria by eliminating the oil they feed on

As I said above, accutane or some facial tretenoin that reduces the oil output of your glands

Salycyclic acid is a common choice. Its found in most medicated facial scrubs and basically cleans your face. Its like a mild acid facial peel, it kills your top layer of skin exposing a fresh layer and removing all the crap. Some people like it, I dont.

Mild soap. Using an unscented very mild soap is a great way to get rid of junk on your face. You can also use an unmedicated mild facial wash like spectro gel if you live in Canada. In the US there is cetaphil but that stuff is absolute crap IMO. Not as bad as proactive though.

Or you can just use water! Sometimes less is more.

Most people use a combination of the above, but dont over do it.

Con
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
1) Kill bacteria

Can be done with BP, benzoyl peroxide. This oxidizes your face killing everything including your top layer of skin to an extent (dry skin). Kind of like dropping a nuke on your face.

Can also be done with TTO, tea tree oil. Very effective for me back in the day. Smells odd, but you get used to it. Its like assassins on your face that only attacks acne bacteria. Very gentle on your face

Antiobiotics. DONT TAKE THIS STUFF. It can be oral or facial. Orally it ****ed you up because you generally take it for a long period of time. Facially isnt bad but they grow immune pretty quickly leaving you at square one.

2) Prevent bacteria by eliminating the oil they feed on

As I said above, accutane or some facial tretenoin that reduces the oil output of your glands

Salycyclic acid is a common choice. Its found in most medicated facial scrubs and basically cleans your face. Its like a mild acid facial peel, it kills your top layer of skin exposing a fresh layer and removing all the crap. Some people like it, I dont.

Mild soap. Using an unscented very mild soap is a great way to get rid of junk on your face. You can also use an unmedicated mild facial wash like spectro gel if you live in Canada. In the US there is cetaphil but that stuff is absolute crap IMO. Not as bad as proactive though.

Or you can just use water! Sometimes less is more.

Most people use a combination of the above, but dont over do it.

Are some of those methods from that thread in the general health section?

There was like a recipe that was supposed to produce something to really wipe out acne.

BFGUITAR
12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Are some of those methods from that thread in the general health section?

There was like a recipe that was supposed to produce something to really wipe out acne.

Yeh, I posted it :thumbup:

Check it out, you might like it!

keltoids
12-05-2007, 02:11 AM
i used to have acne, my dermatologist said it had nothing to do with my diet. acne is a disease that affects everybody differently. some people may have mild case which can be treated with OTC meds. while folks with severe cases will have to go with antibiotics or like the other guy saidm, Accutane. i would read up on accutane. it really dries your skin out. very uncomfortable

BBB
12-05-2007, 04:35 AM
How do you do that?

With diet.

Funny. I had really bad skin until I learned to eat right. Now it's near perfect. I got a little bit of help in the bacteria department with nano cyclic soap - but I don't even use that any longer. I take of my makeup with mineral oil and I still don't break out. And when I did break out - I never had oily skin. Never.

Your diet and what you put in your body can and does affect you skin. To think otherwise is pretty foolish.

Google "anti-inflammation" diet and buy yourself some nano cyclic soap: www.nanocyclic.com

keltoids
12-05-2007, 06:30 AM
you can google it. i found about 3-4 sites saying they cant prove diet has anything to do with acne. There was also 1 or 2 sites that said diet does affect acne.

i wouldnt say if you dont believe diet affects acne, then you are foolish. just a difference of opinion. especially when Dr's cant even agree on the subject.

BBB
12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
you can google it. i found about 3-4 sites saying they cant prove diet has anything to do with acne. There was also 1 or 2 sites that said diet does affect acne.

i wouldnt say if you dont believe diet affects acne, then you are foolish. just a difference of opinion. especially when Dr's cant even agree on the subject.

If you look up the sources - the actually research that was done linking diet with acne - it was a couple of poorly designed experiments ages ago.

Insisting that what you put in your body has no effect on you skin is akin to saying what you put in your body has no effect on your health. You skin is an external indicator of what's going on inside.

BFGUITAR
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
With diet.

Funny. I had really bad skin until I learned to eat right. Now it's near perfect. I got a little bit of help in the bacteria department with nano cyclic soap - but I don't even use that any longer. I take of my makeup with mineral oil and I still don't break out. And when I did break out - I never had oily skin. Never.

Your diet and what you put in your body can and does affect you skin. To think otherwise is pretty foolish.

Google "anti-inflammation" diet and buy yourself some nano cyclic soap: www.nanocyclic.com

I highly doubt your acne was that bad if it can be controlled with diet. While diet does affect your skin, its only a minor part. Most is genetics.

I consider really bad skin as having nodules or cysts, and diet has NO big affect on these things. On mild-moderate perhaps it would.

jdeity
12-05-2007, 04:36 PM
didn't even read the thread, but will say that when I heavily researched acne a year or so back, there was still many, many questions as to the causes. I'm not sure there's gonna be any definitive answers in the sweat/diet/etc categories just yet.

Maj. Office Gut
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
I noticed an increase in acne when I started taking cell tech creatine and drinking 5+ protien shakes a day. Did anyone else have similar issues?

I am a very clean person and scrub the hell out of my face, chest, and legs. But I have not had acne like this in probably 8+ years.

RedSpikeyThing
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I noticed an increase in acne when I started taking cell tech creatine and drinking 5+ protien shakes a day. Did anyone else have similar issues?

Shouldn't be correlated. When did you start taking these supplements?

BFGUITAR
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM

I am a very clean person and scrub the hell out of my face, chest, and legs. But I have not had acne like this in probably 8+ years.

Theres your problem. What are you scrubbing with? Abrasives are meant to be gentle, dont go rubbing in something grainy like theres no tomorrow.

Check out the general health board, I posted a lengthy post about a certain regiment that will prevent a lot of acne. Even ask scarz, he said he hasnt been this clear in ages.

garjagan
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I've read milk can be bad. Get omega oils from things like olive oil, that's supposed to help. And water of course.

A good nights sleep helps. Stress causes breakouts. A lot of it can be hormonal so there are a variety of things you should look at.

jdeity
12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Shouldn't be correlated. When did you start taking these supplements?
I have heard theories on inflammation and I'd presume there'd be a correlation with high GI stuff like cell tech, but that's just an assumption - it certainly isn't the only factor but I wouldn't be shocked if it played a part.

Theres your problem. What are you scrubbing with? Abrasives are meant to be gentle, dont go rubbing in something grainy like theres no tomorrow.

Check out the general health board, I posted a lengthy post about a certain regiment that will prevent a lot of acne. Even ask scarz, he said he hasnt been this clear in ages.
Yeah scrubbing hard is no good - irritation is bad. BF - got a link to that? I found a way myself, actually just altered someone else's way that worked, but it's essentially just about being religious on a 2X/day cleanser (salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide), and used at lower strengths (it's easier to sell a 10% benzoyl peroxide since your average customer thinks it'd work better, even though a 5% seems to work just as well but with less irritation, so better in the long run).

Maj. Office Gut
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I have been supplementing for about 6 weeks. I have had really bad breakouts on my neck for about 2 weeks. I am not scrubbing so hard it will irritate. 2x a day facial cleanser, morning and night.

I look like I am 16 again. 28 is too old for this kind of acne all of a sudden.

I eat like ZERO grease, all lean white meats, greans, only whole grain carbs etc. Very clean diet.. it is frustrating as hell. I even thought about seeing a Dr. about it.. its really pissing me off.

I looked for that link, can you provide it. Is it this one where you reccomend Accutane.

Built
12-06-2007, 11:51 PM
BBB's right. I went on Atkins and my skin completely cleared up - even stuff on my chest, back, and the backs of my arms. Gone.

As I understand it, insulin can have inflammatory properties. So can some foods, while others - such as fish oil - have anti-inflammatory properties. Read Perricone for more on this. Reduce systemic inflammation and any number of health problems will improve or even disappear.

I'm not saying you have to go on Atkins to clear up your skin, but it's a common observation among people who begin such diets that their skin clears up.

My .02

BBB
12-07-2007, 06:15 AM
I have been supplementing for about 6 weeks. I have had really bad breakouts on my neck for about 2 weeks. I am not scrubbing so hard it will irritate. 2x a day facial cleanser, morning and night.

I look like I am 16 again. 28 is too old for this kind of acne all of a sudden.

I eat like ZERO grease, all lean white meats, greans, only whole grain carbs etc. Very clean diet.. it is frustrating as hell. I even thought about seeing a Dr. about it.. its really pissing me off.

I looked for that link, can you provide it. Is it this one where you reccomend Accutane.

Grease isn't what's doing it. Back when I first starting lifting and eating "clean" I still broke out. As it turns out, I'm really carbohydrate sensitive. It wasn't until I raised my dietary fat pretty high that my skin cleared up. I was still dealing with 4-8 deep cysts per month. Now I have the occasional hormonal pimple when it's "that" time a month...but even that has cleared up almost completely. Nothing like before. Fish oil, avocado, nuts, eggs...I get a lot of my fats from these sources and my skin has never looked better.

Accutane is really hard on your system and I suggest that you try anything and everything else before going on it.

jdeity
12-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Read Perricone for more on this.

:scratch:
Isn't he known for a lot of bad info and a lot of expensive products? I thought he not only had the anti-acne stuff, but was quite into the whole anti-aging game as well..

jdeity
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Grease isn't what's doing it. Back when I first starting lifting and eating "clean" I still broke out. As it turns out, I'm really carbohydrate sensitive. It wasn't until I raised my dietary fat pretty high that my skin cleared up. I was still dealing with 4-8 deep cysts per month. Now I have the occasional hormonal pimple when it's "that" time a month...but even that has cleared up almost completely. Nothing like before. Fish oil, avocado, nuts, eggs...I get a lot of my fats from these sources and my skin has never looked better.

Accutane is really hard on your system and I suggest that you try anything and everything else before going on it.

I agree with you fully on the accutane front - but weren't you in another thread a couple weeks ago claiming that it was colloidal silver that was the trick for you?

Built
12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Perricone is commercial, no doubt about it. But he's done research on skin and inflammation.

And my own and many of my friends' experience with dropping carbs and increasing healthy fats have mirrored what Perricone says will happen - skin improved, acne cleared up.

You don't need his products though.

BBB
12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree with you fully on the accutane front - but weren't you in another thread a couple weeks ago claiming that it was colloidal silver that was the trick for you?

I credit the combo. I think that the colloidal silver helped with some of the deep bacterial stuff, but I credit my diet for keeping me clear. I don't use the soap any longer.

Katz
12-08-2007, 03:14 AM
The glands that secrete the oil are on a threshold. Everyone sits at different places on this threshold due to hormones (genetic basis).

Diet, stress, and changes in hormones (steroids, PMS, menopause) will affect how these glands change over time, but the baseline is predetermined.

Thus, if a person has genes which will cause these glands to secrete a low level of oil from the baseline, then diet, stress, or hormonal changes will have no effect on acne, no matter what. If a person is sitting on the threshold, then diet and other factors can cause acne, but only if they have the genetic predisposition - these slight predictors can bump the glands into acne mode. Also, if your genes determine it, you'll get acne no matter what the hell you do, and you'll need to shrink the glands (accutane).

Diet and other factors are very minimal predictors of acne, its almost completely genetic.

BBB
12-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Acne Vulgaris

A Disease of Western Civilization

Loren Cordain, PhD; Staffan Lindeberg, MD,PhD; Magdalena Hurtado, PhD; Kim Hill, PhD; S. Boyd Eaton, MD; Jennie Brand-Miller, PhD

Arch Dermatol. 2002;138:1584-1590.

Background In westernized societies, acne vulgaris is a nearly universal skin disease afflicting 79% to 95% of the adolescent population. In men and women older than 25 years, 40% to 54% have some degree of facial acne, and clinical facial acne persists into middle age in 12% of women and 3% of men. Epidemiological evidence suggests that acne incidence rates are considerably lower in nonwesternized societies. Herein we report the prevalence of acne in 2 nonwesternized populations: the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea and the Aché hunter-gatherers of Paraguay. Additionally, we analyze how elements in nonwesternized environments may influence the development of acne.

Observations Of 1200 Kitavan subjects examined (including 300 aged 15-25 years), no case of acne (grade 1 with multiple comedones or grades 2-4) was observed. Of 115 Aché subjects examined (including 15 aged 15-25 years) over 843 days, no case of active acne (grades 1-4) was observed.

Conclusions The astonishing difference in acne incidence rates between nonwesternized and fully modernized societies cannot be solely attributed to genetic differences among populations but likely results from differing environmental factors. Identification of these factors may be useful in the treatment of acne in Western populations.