PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Diabetic Dad

grtrat1
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Heres the story.. My dad use to be like me. Fat about 250. then diabetes came along and he beat it for along time. But I havent seen my dad in a year at least. My brother has been keeping me up to date on him. Well I went and saw him yesterday and MY GAWD... He looked horrible. He now is 150lbs soaking wet. All his muscle is gone. Nothing but skin and bones.

I talked to him yesterday and asked if I helped him, would he start exercising. He told me yes. So lastnight I went out and got him a 3 stage exercise band kit and 2 hands crimpers. Im good on the upper body, but dont know what he can do as far as the legs. He CANNOT walk too much at all( no strength). HE cant do an exercise bike yet (hopefully soon).

Can you trainers and nutrition experts help me on setting him up a decent diet and workout routine..

Thanks a million.

Hes on a strict fixed income, so he cant afford a personal trainer. Thats why Im helping.

Bohizzle
12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
What does his endocrinologist (if he has one) say about his blood sugar levels? Are they under control? Get him walking more and more and he'll start gaining strength in his legs. However, the fact that he has no strength and has lost alot of weight recently could be signs that his diabetes is not under control and he needs to get to a doc.

Andrew

grtrat1
12-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I beleive it is under control.. He lost alot of weight do to him not eating. Right now all he does is sit in his lazyboy chair or laying in bed. But I talked to him today and he is willing to try. (As long as Im there helping him) If I wasnt there, he wouldnt do anything.

Bohizzle
12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
People often make the mistake of pushing people into things that they are not ready for. From what you've told us about ur dad, he's not ready to start a training split. He needs to start walking. Get him walking around the block if ur in a warmer climate, or just try and get him to walk up and down the stairs. Once he gets to the point where walking and regular everyday things are easier for him, then start worrying about giving him exercises to do.

Andrew

grtrat1
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Thats basically my plan.. Start nice and slow.

tigo
12-11-2007, 08:17 AM
start him out swimming in a heated pull IMO.. a lot easier to get use to moving around in there.

add that with walking a little more and he'll slowly regain strength.