PDA

View Full Version : Everything is going great! But one problem...

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
My bench has sky rocketed to 215 in a short period of time. The only problem is that I have trouble lifting the bar from the bench. It seems like im not strong enough/unstable. Anyone have any ideas to help me out here?

RhodeHouse
12-07-2007, 11:46 AM
This doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean you have trouble lifting the bar from the bench?

RickTheDestroyer
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I think he means unracking it?
Set the pins a little lower, don't get too far down the bench, and try to sort of pull the weight out rather than pressing it up and out. That'll help keep your upper back from loosening up.
Plus a liftoff from your spotter is always nice.

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I think he means unracking it?
Set the pins a little lower, don't get too far down the bench, and try to sort of pull the weight out rather than pressing it up and out. That'll help keep your upper back from loosening up.
Plus a liftoff from your spotter is always nice.

Yes, unracking.

And what do you mean by pull?
A liftoff is always nice, but I want to be able to do it by myself as well.

RickTheDestroyer
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Scoot up on the bench a little so that the hooks aren't too far from your head- so that racking it/unracking it isn't that far from where you end at the top of your lockout. When I unrack, it's almost like a tiny tricep extention or barbell pullover- I pinch my shoulders together, nearly lock my arms, and sort of try to just pull the bar forward off the hooks. I wish I had a video so I could show you what I mean.

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I think I get it, im gonna try it next time.

fpr
12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
That's awesome BF, were'nt you only hitting 190 a month or so ago?
What have you changed since? Or has it just been a matter of time/experience?

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Everything is the same, its just that my routine is working for me.
As well, getting my form right helps a lot.

Detard
12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Bryan, Dave, and me are gonna do a little bench training sometime in the next couple weeks when they're back from Uni. Your more then welcome to come out again.