PDA

View Full Version : New to the scene - advice appreciated

Totality
03-12-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm 6ft 6, weighing currently around 240lbs. I'm not well built, nor am I fat - I have an average body with extremely skinny arms in comparison.

My aim is to build the arms and chest up while toning my stomach. I have recently bought a set of dumbells and one of those electro body toners in an attempt to begin toning and building before I begin to use a gym.

I have begun cutting out high intakes of carbo/fats and have just began to take creatine capsules and amino acid supplements in tablet form.

Any advice on where I should go from here?

Cue-Ball
03-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Throw away the stomach-toner-gizmo and get a membership to a gym. "Toning" before going to the gym is going to get you nowhere. Don't be afraid about looking like a newbie and just get in there and work out! Everyone has to start somewhere. Go to the Journals or Training sections and see what other more experienced lifters are doing. If you look around you'll find about 35,000,000 different weight lifting routines and at least as many different diets.

You're on the right track as far as cutting down your carbs and fats, but remember that some of both are necessary for muscle growth and normal bodily function.

Totality
03-12-2002, 04:18 PM
To be fair to the gismo though, it's made a visible difference to my chest in the first week or so that I've used it - you guys think it's of no benefit at all?

Cue-Ball
03-12-2002, 06:24 PM
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who says those machines work (other than the people selling them, of course).

Complete Muscle
03-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Totality
To be fair to the gismo though, it's made a visible difference to my chest in the first week or so that I've used it - you guys think it's of no benefit at all? ...minimal if anything. Your progress is more likely from the dumbells. In the beginning you will gain strength/mass easily.