PDA

View Full Version : nalgene bottle - warning

Ricochet_kid
12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I remember a poll on here a few months ago that listed nalgene bottles amongst the most commonly used for protein shakes.

It seems as though the issue described in the article may not be isolated to nalgenes' but for many of those ridgid plastic bottles.

I'm thinking this article may be of interest to anyone using these types of bottles.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2007/12/07/recall-no-not-my-nalgene-water-bottle.aspx

BFGUITAR
12-07-2007, 07:20 PM
"The possible health risks, from the plastic's chemical compound "bisphenol A" leaching bad stuff into the liquid or food we consume in these containers, includes cancer and low sperm counts."

Not very scientific...

All plastic bottles go through rigorous testing to ensue leeching does not occur. This is bull.

smalls
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
It's absolute BS. Unless your burning the plastic and breathing in the fumes or cleaning them without a cleanser that changes the chemical structure then your fine. It's all hippie BS and my sister still wont beleive it, lol.

Ricochet_kid
12-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, you guys may be right, but something has prompted these guys to take action and do some more formal study.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not running around in circles, waving my hands around about this, but I hesitate to write it off entirely if a big company like MEC thinks it is serious enough to pull the whole line off of their shelves.

The article also quotes questionable findings from the U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, and the U.S. National Toxicology Program.
These lead me to believe that there is a worthwhile chance that the claims aren't just speculative and non-scientific.

FiveSpeedG
12-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I think I've got bigger worries--like watching out for buses while crossing the street. If you spend your life worrying about that same kind of stuff, it will most likely be for not--something you never expect will eventually get ya.

Those same kind of people crowing about Nalgene and plastic water bottles are the same ones that have sworn off deoderant because the aluminum compounds can cause cancer. You can smell 'em a mile away!

Invain
12-13-2007, 10:13 AM
So what about the thousands of other plastic containers people use every year.

Bahh, lets get rid of plastic all together.

testadura
12-18-2007, 01:38 PM
i pour boiling hot liquid into nalegene bottles when im hiking or camping and i havent died yet

dscarth
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
they recalled an assload of baby bottles not too long ago because of bpa in their plastics.

if you really care, just get an HDPE or LDPE bottle. if you dont, keep drinking out of whatever.

hefty_body
12-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I seem to recall this was resolved stating that the quantity of the chemical leeched was well below any potentially damaging threshold.