PDA

View Full Version : TV Recommendations

BilltheButcher
12-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Anyone recommend a TV or a web site I can go to, to really get a good recommendation. I am reading up on whats important but between work and travel, I'm getting nowhere fast. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for anything between 42 and 60 inches. (thats what she said -- for all you Office fans).

Gunshow
12-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I have a 50 inch Sony Wega, I think it's a really solid TV when its in HD, it also has HDMI. In normal tv it doesn't look as good for some reason, it has this weird double vision thing unless i'm watching HD.. but it is an HDTV so what can you expect... I think its a pretty sick TV

cphafner
12-08-2007, 08:18 AM
check out cnet.com for electronic reviews.

Paul Stagg
12-08-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a 50 inch sony rear projection lcd 1080p.

It's awesome. In my shopping for rear proj hdtv, sony blew everything else away.

For flat panel stuff its more wide open, I don't think there is as much difference between brands.

cphafner
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM

It's awesome. In my shopping for rear proj hdtv, sony blew everything else away.

For flat panel stuff its more wide open, I don't think there is as much difference between brands.

We have a Sony rear projection and love it too. The only problem is we are on our 3rd or 4th bulb. The things blow out once a year.

Organichu
12-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey Bill,

what are you looking to spend?

WBBIRL
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
The way I usually do it when I'm looking to spend any significant amount of money is to go to all the local re and e tailers and see what the best deals are. Then search all those model numbers for reviews and occasionally you'll luck out and find forum posts full of information either good or bad on other sites.

That's what I did when I picked up this 32" LCD HDTV for $485

RBB
12-08-2007, 01:18 PM

same tv here. you can't beat the sony's if you're looking for a rear projection. i have a nice plasma too and i still prefer the sony's picture, it looks great and they're much cheaper.

Unreal
12-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Do you want a flat panel or projection? 1080p or 720p? What is it going to be used for? Video games? DVDs? What source of HD will you use?

My brother and I both have 50" Samsung 1080p DLPs. Hard to beat for the price.

shootermcgavin7
12-08-2007, 01:39 PM
We have a Sony rear projection and love it too. The only problem is we are on our 3rd or 4th bulb. The things blow out once a year.

That's kind of surprising - I've had mine since 2003 and had 0 problems with it.

Of course, now that I said this, I'm going to immediately have issues.

titanshogun
12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Anyone recommend a TV or a web site I can go to, to really get a good recommendation. I am reading up on whats important but between work and travel, I'm getting nowhere fast. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for anything between 42 and 60 inches. (thats what she said -- for all you Office fans).

i could probably give you a bunch of recommendations, but what's your price range?

RBB
12-10-2007, 07:27 AM
That's kind of surprising - I've had mine since 2003 and had 0 problems with it.

Of course, now that I said this, I'm going to immediately have issues.

you must not watch a lot of TV. Those bulbs burn out after a year and a half tops. it's not a problem, it's just how they work.

BilltheButcher
12-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey Bill,

what are you looking to spend?

I have to use $3k before Jan 1, or the company has to claim it and gets taxed. So I figure the TV and stand would be around that.

shootermcgavin7
12-10-2007, 02:03 PM
you must not watch a lot of TV.

I don't. But my wife puts in a good 40+ hours per week.

sharkall2003
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't. But my wife puts in a good 40+ hours per week.

Hahahahaha. So, what's your wife doing watching 6 hours of television everyday? Mooching off of you? I'd be pretty mad about that.

dday
12-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Samsung IMO are the best TV's on the market right now. When my Hitachi goes that's what I'm going after. Check out http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/ this is the best forum I've found for TV and home theater information. They are good people and VERY knowledgable.

titanshogun
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
For that price Bill you've got a bunch of options.

you can get a 1080p 50" Panasonic plasma for $2,799, get a stand or wall mount for $200 and call it a day. Panny plasmas are really good and you're getting 1080p. don't worry about burn in, there's 2 plasmas at my house and neither gets it. what i did was run the Planet Earth blu-ray for 100ish hours to "break in" the set. and with all Panasonic plasmas next week you get a free blu-ray player (which you can get 5 blu rays free by mail).

if you wanna go big, get the 1080p 60" Sony SXRD rear projection television. personally i think it's better than DLP and the price is unbeatable ($2199). that leaves you with $800 to invest in a stand or maybe a sound system. the downside is your have to replace the bulb every couple of years, but i think 2 are included in the box. hope that helps

shootermcgavin7
12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Hahahahaha. So, what's your wife doing watching 6 hours of television everyday? Mooching off of you? I'd be pretty mad about that.

No, I'm mooching off of her until I finish my PhD. Then she can mooch off of me as long as she likes.