PDA

View Full Version : Beef stew, crock pot style

VikingWarlord
12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
My beef stew is so good, it actually brought one girl to tears. How many of you can say your cooking has made someone cry tears of joy?

Take a chuck eye roast and cut it into 1" cubes
For every pound of meat, marinate it in 1C Canadian whiskey, 1/8C soy sauce, and 1/8C worcestershire, minced garlic cloves, thyme (or Mediterranean basil), salt, pepper, and a hint of cinnamon and marinate it at for at least 6 hours, overnight is best

Put the meat and liquid in your crock pot along with cubed thin skin potatoes (Yukon Gold or red work fine), 8oz of sliced mushrooms, and some coarsely chopped onion, then 2 cans of beef broth. If you want, add carrots, celery, whatever else you want.

Cook it for about 7 hours on low, add a little corn starch, cook it down and thicken it up for another hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is awesome when served either in a bread bowl or a regular bowl with a fresh Italian loaf.

That whiskey based marinade is the absolute best I've found for beef. The alcohol just rips apart the fibers and makes it remarkably tender. Since it cooks off, you're left with the flavor of the whiskey, and since I use Canadian for that, it's fairly sweet. Irish works well too, but I'm not about to cook with a bottle of Jameson or Bushmills. Cinnamon is also an excellent flavor with beef. If you've never tried it, just a pinch will go a long way and will give your meat a little bit of a twist when someone tries it. They won't be able to place it.

McIrish
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Looks awesome, Viking - I will let you know how much the g/f cries when I try this next weekend! Thanks! :)

VikingWarlord
12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I forgot to mention bay leaves. One or two works well.

Stumprrp
12-16-2007, 07:42 AM
your recipes are always bomb, do you find them or are you a chef?

VikingWarlord
12-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks, Stump. I'm not a trained chef, though I did want to be one when I was younger...just spent a lot of time with my mom learning what she knows. Her family is from down in the heart of Georgia, so the southern tradition is to pass down recipes. Southerners love their food.

A lot of the time, I'll either make them up on my own or adapt someone else's to my own taste. Spend enough time in the kitchen and you just figure out what works together.

Stumprrp
12-16-2007, 08:21 AM
i wish i could, but my mom throws me out any time i try, haha.

i do cook well in the frying pan, and decent on the grill.

im going to print this out and have my mom try it, she does it the standard way in a big pot for a long time

VikingWarlord
12-16-2007, 08:26 AM
If she hesitates at the thought of the whiskey, remind her that the alcohol burns off as it cooks. Canadian Club or Canadian Mist are the two brands I use.

Doing it on a stove top for a long time is just as well, that's how my mom does it too. I just like the crock pot because I can do it overnight and not have to worry about it.

Stumprrp
12-16-2007, 08:32 AM
sounds good man, if she doesnt want to do it i will, because i love stew, especially in a bread bowl never tried it like that, such a healthy meal as well.

whiteman90909
12-16-2007, 07:38 PM
So you put all the marinade in the crock pot as well?

VikingWarlord
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Yup. That becomes the base for the stew itself. Some people will use canned tomatoes, others will use only beef broth, but I never really liked either of those options.

foodist
02-02-2008, 01:46 AM
sounds great. I need to get into this marinade business. It makes meat all the most tasty. If i had a crockpot i'd try this.

whiteman90909
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Just made it tonight, it turned out really well.

Next time I think I'll try bourbon... I think it goes better with beef, but I'm no Warlord.

VikingWarlord
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
It's a matter of taste, but some Beam would probably work well. I'm not real big on bourbon, though it makes a nice BBQ sauce. I'm from the school of thought where I only cook with stuff I'd actually drink, and I only drink Canadian and Irish whiskeys.

I like to keep my recipes open. I like the idea of someone taking my idea, changing it, possibly improving it, and then I can learn from them.

whiteman90909
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Haha, I probly wouldn't drink bourbon either... I'm 17 for one, and it probably would taste pretty bad straight, but as a marinade, from experience, it works pretty damn well. Its a bit sweeter and has more flavor IMHO. Ill try it sometime soon and tell you how it goes.

I don't like white wines much either, but in fondue or scampi, it's amazing. I would say that some drinks should only be used for cooking, some for both, and some only for drinking, but I think that the only way to find out is to play around in the kitchen.

Shouse94
03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks, ill be sure to give this a try.

Unholy
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Dude, I made this last night. In a bread bowl, with melted shredded cheddar on top. OMFG.