PDA

View Full Version : Squat - Suit bottoms

deeder
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
455lbs in suit bottoms and a belt. It was a little high. Just couldn't get down anymore... I'm going straps up and with knee wraps next week. Looking for 500lbs :thumbup:

cjFN1-f3Y60

Chubrock
12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Pretty solid walkout and the depth looked pretty good. You seem to GMing a good bit at the bottom as you search for depth. Really work on keeping that chest up. Your knees also drift inwards, or so it seemed from that. I'm worn down from squatting today so I could be seeing ****. Nice job tho man.

Lones Green
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
nice squat. what kind of suit is that?

deeder
12-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Pretty solid walkout and the depth looked pretty good. You seem to GMing a good bit at the bottom as you search for depth. Really work on keeping that chest up. Your knees also drift inwards, or so it seemed from that. I'm worn down from squatting today so I could be seeing ****. Nice job tho man.
I've always been pretty bent over when I squat. When I was going through the video frame by frame to see if I hit depth, there was a point that I hit and I didn't get any lower, just bent over more... I don't think my knees come in. That's never really been a problem for me. I'll get a video from the front next week when I'm doing full gear.

nice squat. what kind of suit is that?

Metal Viking Squatter :thumbup:

Chubrock
12-09-2007, 08:49 PM
You keep your elbows under pretty well but are leaning over quite a bit. I used to squat almost the same way. One thing Will has had me doing is breaking at the knees first and then going back. That along with setting the bar a tad higher really helped me keep the chest open at the bottom.

RedSpikeyThing
12-09-2007, 09:07 PM
you made that look like cake!
Forgive my ignorance, but was it the suit that was stopping you from getting any lower?

deeder
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
You keep your elbows under pretty well but are leaning over quite a bit. I used to squat almost the same way. One thing Will has had me doing is breaking at the knees first and then going back. That along with setting the bar a tad higher really helped me keep the chest open at the bottom.
I've always been told that you're supposed to break with the hips first?

you made that look like cake!
Forgive my ignorance, but was it the suit that was stopping you from getting any lower?

Thanks man. Yes, it was the suit that was stopping me from getting lower. If I could stay as upright as chub does I'd make depth a lot easier.

Chubrock
12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Will and I had a big discussion on this. Karl Tillman and Donnie Thompson are starting to talk a lot about breaking at the knees first and have put a video up. Will talked about how beginner have got to be taught to kick the hips back first because most don't do it at all. As you get to be a more experienced squatter you already do it quite a bit, so if you put a lot of focus into shoving the hips back you end up leaned over a bit. By having an intermediate lifter break at the knees first (his hips are already set back during the unrack/walkout), the lifter can stay a bit more upright and as he reaches the hole he starts to shift the hips back and maintains an incredible amount of tightness at the bottom.

Chris Rodgers
12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Looked strong! 500+ should be no problem in full gear.

Detard
12-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Solid squat deeds. You'll hit 500 next week no problem.

Sidior
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Real strong work with the straps down man. How tight is your suit? I never had an issue hitting depth with the straps down in the metal squatter.

500+ for sure with the straps up.

deeder
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Looked strong! 500+ should be no problem in full gear.

Solid squat deeds. You'll hit 500 next week no problem.

Thanks guys!

Real strong work with the straps down man. How tight is your suit? I never had an issue hitting depth with the straps down in the metal squatter.

500+ for sure with the straps up.

The suit is really tight. It fit me great when I was closer to 200lbs. I'm right around 210-213lbs now. Do you have the viking squatter? The viking vs. regular material makes a big difference too.

Sidior
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys!

The suit is really tight. It fit me great when I was closer to 200lbs. I'm right around 210-213lbs now. Do you have the viking squatter? The viking vs. regular material makes a big difference too.

I have the regular material. If that is the viking then ignore my question as I have no idea what I am talking about lol.

deeder
12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I have the regular material. If that is the viking then ignore my question as I have no idea what I am talking about lol.

Have you ever felt the viking stuff? It's sooooooo much stiffer than the regular material. I'm really excited to try out the king material. I'm getting a king sumo deadlifter asap :cool:

Sidior
12-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Have you ever felt the viking stuff? It's sooooooo much stiffer than the regular material. I'm really excited to try out the king material. I'm getting a king sumo deadlifter asap :cool:

I hear the king stuff is awesome too.

Nope I have never felt the viking material so I am going to take your word for it.

TommyBoy
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Looked strong bro.

deeder
12-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Looked strong bro.

Thanks big man :thumbup:

Bohizzle
12-10-2007, 07:38 AM
nice man, looked good! Man, I didn't realize there was a giant mirror there at first, I thought you had like 8 racks lol

Andrew

Stumprrp
12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
sweet squat deeder

Sensei
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Will and I had a big discussion on this. Karl Tillman and Donnie Thompson are starting to talk a lot about breaking at the knees first and have put a video up. Will talked about how beginner have got to be taught to kick the hips back first because most don't do it at all. As you get to be a more experienced squatter you already do it quite a bit, so if you put a lot of focus into shoving the hips back you end up leaned over a bit. By having an intermediate lifter break at the knees first (his hips are already set back during the unrack/walkout), the lifter can stay a bit more upright and as he reaches the hole he starts to shift the hips back and maintains an incredible amount of tightness at the bottom.
In the Karl Tillman/Donnie Thompson video, the cue to break at the knees is to encourage outward rotation at the hip, further engaging the glutes/abductors.
I don't think everyone should be following every cue... Cues aren't necessarily what you want the athlete to do literally, just a prompt to get them to do something properly.
I talked with Mark Rippetoe about this and the example we discussed was Dave Tate giving the cue to "get the shoulders behind the bar" when setting up for the deadlift - the point is not for the lifter to literally have their shoulders behind the bar, just to emphasize a straight back and get the hips into the lift. The problem is that people confuse a cue with technique.
Long story short, if the cue helps you do it correctly use it. If not, don't.

Deeder,
Great lift. Looked easy to me.

Chubrock
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't think everyone should be following every cue... Cues aren't necessarily what you want the athlete to do literally, just a prompt to get them to do something properly.

I agree that not every cue should be followed, but at the same time the more I think about that cue the more it makes sense. A lot of lifters (especially me) tend to focus on sitting back so much at the start that the bar gets out in front, the chest closes up, and the squat turns into a GMing. By breaking at the knees first, as long as the hips are already set back, it allows me to focus on spreading the knees and THEN sit back into the lift towards the bottom. I can keep an arch but at the same time increase the amount of tension through my hips and groin.

deeder
12-10-2007, 12:00 PM
nice man, looked good! Man, I didn't realize there was a giant mirror there at first, I thought you had like 8 racks lol

Andrew
Haha, yeah it does look like the place is way bigger than it is. Technically though there are 8 racks ;) 4 double sided racks to be exact.

sweet squat deeder

Thanks Stump!

In the Karl Tillman/Donnie Thompson video, the cue to break at the knees is to encourage outward rotation at the hip, further engaging the glutes/abductors.
I talked with Mark Rippetoe about this and the example we discussed was Dave Tate giving the cue to "get the shoulders behind the bar" when setting up for the deadlift - the point is not for the lifter to literally have their shoulders behind the bar, just to emphasize a straight back and get the hips into the lift. The problem is that people confuse a cue with technique.
Long story short, if the cue helps you do it correctly use it. If not, don't.

Deeder,
Great lift. Looked easy to me.

That totally makes sense about using cues if you need them. I'll get my squat from the front next week and you guys can tell me if you think I need to work more on driving my knees out.

It was pretty quick coming up but I wouldn't call it easy :p I think that's just all the speed squats paying off.