PDA

View Full Version : need to get a lot bigger to be center/d linemen

titanshogun
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
well our coaching staff is pretty much gone thanks to no winning seasons in 5 years, but if you want to read up more on that look at my post in the intro thread (i can't link to it yet).

anyways, i'm a junior, center and defensive end, weighed 205 at the beginning of the season but now i'm at 190. 6' 0", and my maxes are probably a lot lower than they were in June when i had been lifting consistently for months.

Bench - 190
Squat - 345
Dead lift - 365
my maxes are nowhere near that right now, our offseason lifting has just started. i have 8 months to (hopefully) at the bare minimum increase my my maxes to 40 pounds more than they used to be last June. (so at the very least i can be in the 1000+ club).

i'm also pretty damn slow for my size, i lost my speed after 8-9th grade for whatever reason and i want to get my 40 to like a 4.9 or something, right now it's above 5. should i do distance running after school, or sprints, or both? we do (or did) speed training that was incorporated into our lifting but i'm not sure if the coach that does that is stepping down too.

i have morning lifting monday, tues, thurs, friday and i can go to the YMCA on the days i don't have it after school or in the morning on weekends (ideally i'd like 1-2 rest days a week so that i don't die with the amount of homework i'm getting). how many days a week should i lift? our program last year was built around 4 days a week in the morning. i drink protein shakes from time to time (with 18g of protein in them) but i should probably get some kind of mix.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Indifference
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
First off, Ill say your tall and could definitely hold a good bit more weight and muscle and you definitely came to the right place! I would recommend to you any of the routines mentioned on this site: WBB, BGB, Westside, Rippetoes, whatever. As a center I'd say your pretty light but if you eat and lift heavy for 8-9 months you could realistically gain 40+ pounds (not all lean muscle of course). Again because your tall and 190lbs is relatively light for a 6footer you would put on weight fairly easily and also not look like a blob (assuming you lift hard). Also, since your main concern seems to be gaining +40lbs on your big lifts, thats cake. If you eat ENOUGH you could easily put on +80lbs or maybe more to your squat and dead max. Also 4 days a week would be perfect with any of the routines I mentioned above.

Im not too versed with speed and conditioning training so hopefully somebody with more experience in that area will chime in on that.

But I guarantee if you eat big and lift heavy consistently you will smash the goals you set out for yourself.

titanshogun
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks that's encouraging. i'd link you to my journal to see what you think but i don't have enough posts yet (edit- nevermind it's in my sig). this first week is more of a warm up/burn out kind of thing before i start heavy lifting.

i'm sorta going off the Nike Gridiron workout, i'll see how that goes through the month.

BoAnderson71
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
i am also a highschool football player. i just fininshed up my sophomore year, i started at right guard. Indifference is right if u lift big and eat big u will get big. as far as speed there are a couple things you could do. you can do the sparq program, but that wouldrequire yo to buy some things and i dont know ur financial situation. Plyometrics are always good, jump training, jump roping, duck walks, one legged squats,glute ham raises, sprints (But practice good form. and last you can also do the combine tests. like the i test, 3 cone drill, 40 yard dash, broad jump. for speed there are alot of things you could do. i would definitely check out the sparq training though.

titanshogun
12-16-2007, 11:20 AM
thanks, lemme post my routine from my journal.

Mondays/Thursdays

Bench
Dumb bell incline
rows
Lat pull downs
high rows
flies (with 10 pound weights in each hand, front, side, "chicken wing style)
curls (sometimes)
nose busters, some call it skull crushers (sometimes)

Tuesdays/Fridays
Squat
Dead lift
Rack clean
leg extensions
calf raises
leg press
hamstring curls

that's all i can remember, the aux lifts depend on how i'm feeling, how much time i have, and how many people are in the weight room.

i do all the cores at the very least and i don't usually get all the aux lifts i listed up there just because of time/how i'm feeling. i just listed all the ones i could do. on leg days i do squat and rack clean, or squat and dead lift. i've yet to do squat, rack clean, and dead lift on the same day (should i?).

any input is appreciated.

Ben Moore
12-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Why not put in a third day - as in M, W, F and split it up like this:

Squat/Cleans/Aux Leg Movements - Monday

Bench/Overhead/Aux Arm Movements - Wednesday

Deads/Back Movements - Friday

You'll get more rest that way and you won't be in the gym forever trying to fit all that in 2 days. If I were you, I'd use the cleans as a way to warmup for the deads, and then move into deadlifts.

If what you're doing is working for you then keep at it! This is just my outsider's opinion.

Itsnotaboutme
12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Hmmm you sound exactly like me. I'm 6ft tall and 210. I play center and d line. I have also mastered the art of the chop block.

WILD BILL
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Whats up bro. In h.s. I was a lineman as well. I was 6'0'' 245lbs everyone is giveing u good ideas for ur lifts but i have something that might help ur 40. I had a 5.4sec 40 my junior yr. When I started my senior yr it was down to a 4.9sec 40. What really worked for me was 3x a week id grab anywhere from 60lb Db's at the end of the school yr and up to 100lb DB's by the end of summer right b4 my senior yr. And try to run as fast as i could with them in my hand, maybe not a sprint cause its a ton of extra weight but still run as fast as u can for about 100ft. When i started i could go like a 100ft and then have to put them down. But i would go prob a total of 800ft and after every 100ft id put them down. By the end of the summer i was carrying the 100lb DB's for prob 400ft b4 I had to put them down. Doing that for months in months really helped my 40. Once u start trying to run as fast as u can without the dumbells after ur body is used to u running with an extra 200lbs it will show in ur 40 i promise.

titanshogun
12-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Why not put in a third day - as in M, W, F and split it up like this:

Squat/Cleans/Aux Leg Movements - Monday

Bench/Overhead/Aux Arm Movements - Wednesday

Deads/Back Movements - Friday

You'll get more rest that way and you won't be in the gym forever trying to fit all that in 2 days. If I were you, I'd use the cleans as a way to warmup for the deads, and then move into deadlifts.

If what you're doing is working for you then keep at it! This is just my outsider's opinion.

uhh by the way i do this across 4 days, but yeah i'll see if i can split it more so each day is focused on a different thing.

Hmmm you sound exactly like me. I'm 6ft tall and 210. I play center and d line. I have also mastered the art of the chop block.

indeed. i have found myself way too often against someone a hell of a lot bigger/stronger than me, going into my senior season i'd like for that to not happen. especially last season chop blocking was important like if i was going against some monster that was whooping my ass. i'm the only returning lineman (and captain) for next year though so i need to be the anchor of the line (both ways).

Whats up bro. In h.s. I was a lineman as well. I was 6'0'' 245lbs everyone is giveing u good ideas for ur lifts but i have something that might help ur 40. I had a 5.4sec 40 my junior yr. When I started my senior yr it was down to a 4.9sec 40. What really worked for me was 3x a week id grab anywhere from 60lb Db's at the end of the school yr and up to 100lb DB's by the end of summer right b4 my senior yr. And try to run as fast as i could with them in my hand, maybe not a sprint cause its a ton of extra weight but still run as fast as u can for about 100ft. When i started i could go like a 100ft and then have to put them down. But i would go prob a total of 800ft and after every 100ft id put them down. By the end of the summer i was carrying the 100lb DB's for prob 400ft b4 I had to put them down. Doing that for months in months really helped my 40. Once u start trying to run as fast as u can without the dumbells after ur body is used to u running with an extra 200lbs it will show in ur 40 i promise.

i'll try that, one question though isn't that bad for your knees? like really really bad?

thanks a lot it's cool to see others out there playing the same positions as me giving some tips out.

WILD BILL
12-24-2007, 05:36 PM
i'll try that, one question though isn't that bad for your knees? like really really bad?

thanks a lot it's cool to see others out there playing the same positions as me giving some tips out.

I did it my jr year and my sr yr and my freshamn yr in college. So i started doing it 7yrs ago. Its just like doing a farmers walk in strongman. Im 23 now still do farmers walk stuff and squat 750 right now and i have yet to this day have any knee problems.

titanshogun
12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
^ good enough for me. i'll definitely try that out thanks.

schmitty199
12-24-2007, 09:54 PM

I can see how that would make you a lot stronger, but your not going to be able to run in near the same motion with dumbells in each hand opposed to just running normal. It seems to me a sled would be more benificial to accomplish similair things. But then again im no expert, so take that for what its worth.

WILD BILL
12-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I can see how that would make you a lot stronger, but your not going to be able to run in near the same motion with dumbells in each hand opposed to just running normal. It seems to me a sled would be more benificial to accomplish similair things. But then again im no expert, so take that for what its worth.

Most kids dont have access to a sled. If I did thats what I woulda used but since hes in h.s. id think DB's are more accesable.

schmitty199
12-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Most kids dont have access to a sled. If I did thats what I woulda used but since hes in h.s. id think DB's are more accesable.

This is true, but a makeshift sled can be made pretty easily. Ive used a lifting belt and a tire connected by a rope and it's worked great.