PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you do it?

WhiteMonkeyKing
12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
OK so I understand the basics, that your suppose to consumer somewhere around 2500-3000 calories a day while working out. Consuming approx. 6 small meals a day with about a 1.5grams per pound of protein. Before I even research the details as far as what I should and should not be eating I just want to know How the hell you people do it. The average chicken breast is only about 120 calories, so do you just make like 4 per "small" meal? The amount of food eaten must be huge. And the cooking as well, most foods that have nutritional value don't come from a freezer so where do you find the time to be cooking all this food? And my last question is money, I live on my own and I just turned 21, I'm not exactly dirty poor but at the same time I don't have the funds to be spending 100$ a week on groceries. I was just wondering how you people perform your diets and if you have any tips.

mickyjune26
12-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Where there's a will there's a way. If you want it bad enough, you'll do it. For an example of a bulk on 75% healthy foods, click on the diet link in my signature.

BFGUITAR
12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Buy peanutbutter, eggs, milk in bulk, burgers...
And you dont need 6 small meals, 3 bigger meals are fine. What ever your comfortable with.

I like 3 bigger meals with snacking in between on some cheese, a PB sandwich, some milk...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-10-2007, 01:12 AM
that your suppose to consumer somewhere around 2500-3000 calories a day while working outWhere did you get this from? You're supposed to figure out your own caloric needs through trial and error and tracking your crap on FitDay. Everyone's needs are different.

RhodeHouse
12-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Don't overthink this. Just eat. Figure out what you want to spend each week, then go buy your food. Make 5-6 meals each time you cook. That way, you don't have to cook for every meal. It's not that hard at all. Just eat.

You have no goals posted, so it's hard to tell you what to eat and how much. Let me guess, though... You want to get bigger, but you don't want to get a belly.

Rusty
12-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Here are some tips.

- Beef is cheaper than chicken and has way more calories.

- The average baconator has 860 calories. Yet only costs 5 bucks.

- Search for the meat that expires the next day, it's usually 50 percent off.

- 2500-3000 calories???? This isn't grade school, if you want to get big, you have to eat big.

brihead301
12-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I spent $38 at the grocery store yesterday for a whole week of food. My typical day's diet looks like this:

7:30 am - shake
1 1/2 cup milk
1 scoop whey
3 tbsp PB
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 banana

~ 1000 calories

9:30 am
1/2 turkey sandwich with cheese
1 oz of almonds

~500 calories

12:00 pm
chicken sandwich w/ lettuce, tomato, and cheese
from the deli.
~ 500 calories

3:00 pm
1/2 turkey and cheese sandwich
1 oz almonds
~ 500 calories

5:30 pm - pre-workout
1 1/2 cup milk
1 scoop whey
3 tbsp PB
1/2 cup oatmeal
~ 750 calories

7:30
1 1/2 cup milk
1 scoop whey
3 tbsp PB
1 banana
~ 700 calories

10:00 pm
3 eggs
1 box of vegetables
~ 400 calories

Total for day ~4000 calories give or take a few hundred here and there.
~ 280 grams of protien for the day.

All I have to do is buy 1.5 lbs. of turkey, 1 lb of cheese, and a bunch of bananas every Sunday. The veggies I get are usually 10/$10. I buy oatmeal, whey protien, and peanut butter in bulk so it lasts me about a month. I buy milk, eggs and bread when necessary. Every monday I buy a weeks supply of almonds at the local store for about $8.

I'd say that I spend an average of $50 per week extra on food. That's not including the chicken sandwich I buy everday at lunch, which I would be buying anyway if I wasn't lifting.

It's really not that difficult. It just takes planning.

AKMass
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
10:00 pm
3 eggs
1 box of vegetables
~ 400 calories

:cry: Vegetables in a box!?!? You meant can right?

brihead301
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
:cry: Vegetables in a box!?!? You meant can right?

Well, they come in a plastic bag, which comes in a box. Green giant brand - microwaves in 5 minutes. I like the broccoli and carrots in alfredo sauce.

AKMass
12-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, they come in a plastic bag, which comes in a box. Green giant brand - microwaves in 5 minutes. I like the broccoli and carrots in alfredo sauce.

Awesome, I'm gonna have to get some. Wish I'd known about this sooner. Thanks!

brihead301
12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/green-giant/Green-Giant-Products.htm

My main source of veggies

WhiteMonkeyKing
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Hmm thanks, sounds like i just need to go to Costco and buy chicken/beef/eggs/vegies in bulk and cook only twice a week or so making meals a couple days at a time. The only thing now is what to cook ha. Another question, I read the protein powder article in this forum and couldn't find the answer, should I be drinking my protein shakes every morning even on the days that I do not workout? and why in the morning as oppose to before the workout or after?

brihead301
12-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Eat the same amount of stuff on workout and non-workout days. The only difference is that on workout days, it is usually good to eat something before and after your workout.

You can take your protein powder whenever you want. I like a big shake in the morning because I'm always in a rush, so I don't have time to cook. I also like to have a shake pre and post workout. Real food is the best though.

-Superman-
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
OK so I understand the basics, that your suppose to consumer somewhere around 2500-3000 calories a day while working out. Consuming approx. 6 small meals a day with about a 1.5grams per pound of protein. Before I even research the details as far as what I should and should not be eating I just want to know How the hell you people do it. The average chicken breast is only about 120 calories, so do you just make like 4 per "small" meal? The amount of food eaten must be huge. And the cooking as well, most foods that have nutritional value don't come from a freezer so where do you find the time to be cooking all this food? And my last question is money, I live on my own and I just turned 21, I'm not exactly dirty poor but at the same time I don't have the funds to be spending 100$ a week on groceries. I was just wondering how you people perform your diets and if you have any tips.

Last year I was spending up to $700+ a month on food. Over the past 1.5 years I have an average food bill of $450/month. I am still decreasing it while finding ways to eat cheaper.

I am currently consuming close to 5000 calories a day (last year I did 6000) and not spending anywhere near what I did last year. Cook your own food. Buy chicken in bulk. Buy beef in bulk. Learn to eat hamburger helper. I cook food when I get home from work. I eat until around 12am where I sleep until I wake up around 8am for work again. You should be able to eat like a bodybuilder for around $300/month (~$10 a day on food).

:thumbup:

Today I will spend between $50-$75 on food for a week or so:

-2 gallons of milk
-1 dozen eggs
-1lbs of ground beef
-hamburger helper
-Meat on sale (if buy one get one free, you best to believe I am buying 20)
-Apple juice
-Bottled Water
-Fruit

:D

VikingWarlord
12-10-2007, 06:05 PM

First thing...120 cals is 4oz of chicken. I find that the average whole chicken breast is usually 10-14oz. Get familiar with serving sizes and buy a food scale if you really want to know how much you're consuming.

I also cook almost an entire week's worth of food in big batches every Sunday.

As for money...tuna is cheap. Find good sales on meat and stock your freezer. I've got like 8lbs of pork loin, 12 or so lbs of chicken, 6lbs of Tilapia, 4lbs of Cod, some buffalo meat, and some other stuff I can't remember offhand. Just grab it, thaw it, cook it.