PDA

View Full Version : Body weight advice

Invain
12-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I've been strongly thinking about powerlifting for the past couple months, and like usual I have more questions, most of which are probably pretty stupid.

I've still been lifting regularly and most of my lifts are still slowly increasing, but I haven't really stressed my diet much since I cut this last summer. I've been hovering around 190 for the last few months now, and I'm curoius as to where I should aim if I did want to compete in the future. I haven't bulked in quite a while now, should I go nuts again and see how much I can pack on over the winter, or, do I continue taking it slow and shoot for someday competing at a lower body weight. I'm sure I could easily peel off a few more pounds and still be pushing the same numbers at something like 180 or 175 if I took it slow for the next few months. Part of me wants to go for it though and try to move as much iron as possible, no matter what I weigh. The only problem I can see is if I did want to compete, It probably wouldn't be as beneficial to gain some solid progress in my lifts but weigh in at something like 220. I guess I'm afraid I'll gain more weight than strength and be further behind people in the weight class I lifted in.

I'm sure I'll get mixed answers, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say.

I may also need some routine guidance, but I haven't really started reading up on that stuff yet. I've been doing the same thing for months though, and if I want to do something like compete in the future I'd say my routine probably sucks.

RhodeHouse
12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Gain the weight. The last thing you should worry about is being competitive when you first start competing. Stop gaining weight when it no longer helps you get stronger. To give you an idea when that happens, you'll be a 275 or a 308 at the least. Depending on your height, possibly a SHW. If you really want to be good, forget about what you look like. Don't just get fat, but stop worrying about your belly and gay stuff like that.

The first 4-5 years of competing, maybe longer, should be against your own numbers. Don't worry about anyone else. As long as you keep getting PR's and keep getting stronger, eventually, you'll start being competitive. The first meet I won, I had no idea what my total was. I was packing up my gear when they called my name saying I was the Best Lifter.

Just start training and eating. Let everything else fall into place.

Chris Rodgers
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
It's funny, but I agree with Rhodes. I kinda wish I could go back to the start of my powerlifting and do it that way. It's hard after I have been competing for almost 6 years now in the same weight classes(148-165). My goal for my next meet which is in 10 weeks is to get my bodyweight up close to 175 and then cut the water out to weigh-in @165. That would be the heaviest I have ever weighed in my life and will be a small step in my eventual goal to move up weight classes. The thing is I know I can put up much bigger numbers @165 before I move up. I just need to get my head out of my ass and train right.

I would just really work on hammering your technique and trying to get as strong ass possible for a while. This will be easier if you are eating a lot.

Invain
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Haha, Rhode's reply was exactly what I expected.

Thanks though guys. I guess I'll forget about the little crap and just eat and lift. I think I'm ready for a good bulk anyways. I've been feeling kinda skinny lately :(

RhodeHouse
12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
At 5'8" you could be at least 330lbs. So, get to eating.

Guido
12-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I'd say closer to 360-400, Rhodes. I'd plan on at least doubling in weight by this time next year, Invain. :p

brihead301
12-11-2007, 09:11 AM
That's gotta be hard as hell to do - get up to over 350 lbs. at a height of 5'8" in one year!!!

RhodeHouse
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
That's gotta be hard as hell to do - get up to over 350 lbs. at a height of 5'8" in one year!!!

Not in 1 year. That would take 10 years or so.

Invain
12-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I was thining 225 would be pretty heavy for now, I'd be quite the tub of lard at 300 lbs, ha.

tyler
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
whats a good weight for a 6'-6'1'' tall guy? right now i way 220-226 depending what time a day it is.

RhodeHouse
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I was thining 225 would be pretty heavy for now, I'd be quite the tub of lard at 300 lbs, ha.

Not if you do it right

RhodeHouse
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
whats a good weight for a 6'-6'1'' tall guy? right now i way 220-226 depending what time a day it is.

It all depends on what you are willing to do and what you want to accomplish. But, at 6'1", you could probably carry 400lbs. That's what Brian Siders told us at a meet a few years back.

Invain
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
God I can't imagine being 400 pounds. That's easily like 2.5 average guys.

RickTheDestroyer
12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
God I can't imagine being 400 pounds. That's easily like 2.5 average guys.
Or one big strong totally awesome guy. Your call dude.

tyler
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
whats a good compition weight? im only 17 and im not going to be 400 pounds soon.lol probably never.lol i was thinking 230-240??

nhlfan
12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
whats a good compition weight? im only 17 and im not going to be 400 pounds soon.lol probably never.lol i was thinking 230-240??

just keep lifting, keep getting stronger, and keep gaining weight at a reasonable, steady pace until it no longer benefits you.