PDA

View Full Version : Great exercise for POWER using the Concept II Rowing Machine

BeefyGreens
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
For anyone who is interesting in an exercise on the Concept II machine that is great for building power (and is really f-ing tiring), listen up.

I rowed for my university all last year, and I've heard we have one of the most intense winter training schedules of any school in the sport. We did many days of 80+ minutes of rowing, but nothing kicked my butt as bad as these did:

What you do is set the units on the machine to Watts/hr, and the time for 10 seconds. Set the rest for one minute, as you need to fully recover after every one of these. The gist is to basically see how high you can get the Watts/hr in the 10 second interval. You do this of course by pulling like your life depends on it, and you want to get the flywheel spinning as fast as possible. You'll probably have time for 4-6 strokes in ten seconds. Do anywhere from 10-20 of these at one minute intervals, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

An average of 500-600 is pretty decent. Anything around 800, and you're definitely a haus. Above 1000...maybe you should do this for a living.

WillKuenzel
12-11-2007, 06:36 AM
While not exactly for power I can see it being utilized for metabolic conditioning. I'm sure that some of the more conditioned guys here can give this a good run.

Maki Riddington
12-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Sounds cool, I will give it a try.

ryuage
12-11-2007, 08:53 AM
ill have to give this a try... im still trying to hit sub 1:30 on the 500m row

BeefyGreens
12-13-2007, 10:43 PM
HomeYield I'm gonna have to disagree...this is certainly an exercise for power. I agree that the rowing machine is primarily for cardiovascular and muscular conditioning, but when used in this way, it feels quite similar to deadlifting.

As a reference, my teams's top rower pulled a 1:19 500m and a 5:58 2k, and I believe he was pulling up around 1200 W/hr on the last few of these :eek:

Fuzzy
12-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Remembers vomiting numerous times after ergos*

God I love rowing.

Fuzzy
12-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Remembers vomiting numerous times after ergos*

God I love rowing.

View 1
02-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I just started using the rowing machine a couple weeks ago and I love it, goona try this on one of my cardio days this week, I know im goona suck at since I just got back into the gym after a 4 months off ( been back almost a month now ) but hey gotta start somewhere.

Killa Kurt
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
ill have to give this a try... im still trying to hit sub 1:30 on the 500m row

That's ****ing fast, my best time is 1:32.4, and I was pulling like a madman (I threw up after the set). This is a staple of my routine now, I feel it builds power and is also good for conditioning. Fuzzy I've throw up from rowing before also.....IDK why this machine takes so much out of me.

Fuzzy
02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
HomeYield I'm gonna have to disagree...this is certainly an exercise for power. I agree that the rowing machine is primarily for cardiovascular and muscular conditioning, but when used in this way, it feels quite similar to deadlifting.

As a reference, my teams's top rower pulled a 1:19 500m and a 5:58 2k, and I believe he was pulling up around 1200 W/hr on the last few of these :eek:

Damn, sub 6 2k.

For the non rowers this is the equivelent of a 4 plate raw chest press.

Killa Kurt
02-24-2008, 07:50 AM
I wish I could finish 2k, lol.