PDA

View Full Version : Tryed doing some low bar squats

BFGUITAR
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
They feel A LOT different. The only problem was that I had to lean over forward more. As well, my wrists hurt from keeping it in position. I would post a vid but I dont have a camera.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: BTW I did find a certain groove to put it in if anyone wanted to know.

Indifference
12-11-2007, 10:45 PM
When I switched over I had similar pains in my wrists but they went away in 2-3 sessions, also you may experience a bit of shoulder discomfort (some people do). It is true you lean over a bit more to keep it upright but I find the actual squat motion more comfortable with it lower on the back.

Detard
12-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Try bringing your hands in on the bar or out to see if theres any difference.

brihead301
12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
About the wrist discomfort, make sure you rotate your hands over top of the bar so that your wrists are straight, not bent backwards. I'm also trying to learn how to low-bar squat now. It's pretty awkward, but I'm getting used to it. When I play pool, I always hold the pool stick in that groove that you're talking about when I'm not shooting. I do that just to pratice and stretch. Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy when you have a loaded bar on your back. But, I too just recently found that groove. It's still hard for me to hold the bar like that, but it's getting easier as my flexibility increases.

Stumprrp
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
its interesting how most people lean over more, i noticed i stayed more upright, maybe because i was doing crazy heavy squats with a high bar for a while.

BFGUITAR
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, ill try it again.
I know what you mean about keeping the wrists straight, will try that.

And good, leaning forward a bit is normal.

Once the session was over I was thinking of bringing my hands closer in, ill try it next time as well.

I also like the feeling with squating low bar, its a different feel.

Hazerboy
12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I low bar squat with cocked rists. I've hit 410 that way with no problems.

Chris Rodgers
12-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I wear wrist wraps when I squat heavy. I've had over 700 on my back. They help a lot.

Sensei
12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
They feel A LOT different. The only problem was that I had to lean over forward more. As well, my wrists hurt from keeping it in position. I would post a vid but I dont have a camera.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: BTW I did find a certain groove to put it in if anyone wanted to know.
You should have more forward lean w. a low bar position.

Your wrists should not hurt if the bar is in proper position and not slipping on your back (you should NOT have to bear the weight on your hands/wrists).

Watch Squat Rx #4.

BFGUITAR
12-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Will do master.

BFGUITAR
12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Ok, tried doing some low bar squats.

I kinf foudn the position, I know exactly what your talking about sensei. The only thing is my wrists are bent backwards while doing this.

I notice that your arms are very wide apart, is this critical when doing the low bar squat?

What I noticed as well is your thumb isnt going under the bar in either low bar or high bar. I never really noticed this detail and will try doing that the next time I squat. It seems like one of those small details that's over looked. Thanks sensei!

deeder
12-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Ok, tried doing some low bar squats.

I kinf foudn the position, I know exactly what your talking about sensei. The only thing is my wrists are bent backwards while doing this.

I notice that your arms are very wide apart, is this critical when doing the low bar squat?

What I noticed as well is your thumb isnt going under the bar in either low bar or high bar. I never really noticed this detail and will try doing that the next time I squat. It seems like one of those small details that's over looked. Thanks sensei!

You want your hands as narrow as you can get them while still maintaining a tight upper back and good elbow position. Thumbs around the bar is purely preference...

BFGUITAR
12-14-2007, 09:00 PM
So than why does sensei have such a wide reach?

Runty
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I think the idea is that the narrower your hands are the tighter it keeps your back. I started going with the low bar position and have had a similar problem with the wrists feeling pressure/discomfort. Just make sure you keep your upper back real tight (sensei says its like the double bicep pose i think) and move your wrists in a little at a time.

Sensei
12-14-2007, 09:43 PM
So than why does sensei have such a wide reach?I have fairly flexible shoulders, but I have issues on and off from my competitive swimming days - they never go away completely. I generally take as narrow a grip as I can. It's wider w. a low bar placement.

Like Runty said, think "back double biceps pose" when you are setting up. The bar should rest on your posterior delts and, if you're tight, you shouldn't have to be holding the bar up w. your wrists. You want your grip to be tight, but it should be so because you are trying to generate tension throughout your upper body, not because if you don't the bar will slip.

I don't know if you watched the entirety of the video, but I make a point of showing how to check the bar for bends and frozen sleeves in it too. If the bar is bent, or the sleeves are frozen, it can put a helluva lot of strain on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

As far as the thumbless grip goes, I've been doing that for as long as I can remember and it probably started when I an elbow issue. Like Deeder said, it's just a preference.

Bohizzle
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I have fairly flexible shoulders, but I have issues on and off from my competitive swimming days - they never go away completely. I generally take as narrow a grip as I can. It's wider w. a low bar placement.

Like Runty said, think "back double biceps pose" when you are setting up. The bar should rest on your posterior delts and, if you're tight, you shouldn't have to be holding the bar up w. your wrists. You want your grip to be tight, but it should be so because you are trying to generate tension throughout your upper body, not because if you don't the bar will slip.

I don't know if you watched the entirety of the video, but I make a point of showing how to check the bar for bends and frozen sleeves in it too. If the bar is bent, or the sleeves are frozen, it can put a helluva lot of strain on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

As far as the thumbless grip goes, I've been doing that for as long as I can remember and it probably started when I an elbow issue. Like Deeder said, it's just a preference.

Agree with absolutely everything except... Back double bi... If it's done properly, u should be spreading ur lats to get as much width as possible, not pulling ur shoulder blades together.

I don't know if this is just me or not, but using low bar placement, I like to try and bend the bar around my back while I'm squatting to help keep everything tighter.

Andrew

Sensei
12-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Agree with absolutely everything except... Back double bi... If it's done properly, u should be spreading ur lats to get as much width as possible, not pulling ur shoulder blades together.

I don't know if this is just me or not, but using low bar placement, I like to try and bend the bar around my back while I'm squatting to help keep everything tighter.

AndrewI guess that just shows you how much I really know about BBing - thanks for the correction.

BearD
12-14-2007, 11:15 PM
One thing that might be a small problem is finding your shelf. Maybe your upper back just isn't big enough yet to get a large comfortable shelf. I'm sure you can do it with very little muscle on your upper back, but I believe it's a little harder to get the groove. Keep hitting upper back exercises hard.

I know when I squat, my shoulders are finally big enough that I feel more like I'm pulling the bar into my back rather than pushing it up with my wrists.

BFGUITAR
12-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Ok I squatted low bar again and it was A LOT better this time. My wrists didnt hurt and it was comfortable on my back.

The only problem here was I seemed to lose balance easy after I unrack. Once I get into position im fine though. Could this be because im not use to the different center of gravity?

HP666
12-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Andrew

I guess Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe and all the great strength coaches have been teaching it wrong. I better send them an email and let them know.

RickTheDestroyer
12-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I guess Bill Starr, Mark Rippetoe and all the great strength coaches have been teaching it wrong. I better send them an email and let them know.
You might want to double-check your reading comprehension. He's talking about a back double bi pose, not getting tight under a squat.

BFGUITAR
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
You might want to double-check your reading comprehension. He's talking about a back double bi pose, not getting tight under a squat.

:withstupi:

brihead301
12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I thought you are supposed to be bringing your shoulder blades together and sticking your chest out (just like in the back double bi pose).

Sensei
12-17-2007, 10:32 AM
The point Bohizzle was making was that in a bodybuilding back-double bicep pose, you DON'T adduct the scapulae (draw the shoulder blades together) as you would when setting up under the bar for a squat.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Ah, I see!

Bohizzle
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
yup, for those that could not read my post...

back double bi = shoulders spread
squat = shoulders pulled together

RickTheDestroyer
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I love it when everyone gets along! :D

HP666
12-17-2007, 02:26 PM

He said "think" back double bi pose as a way of explaining how to tighten up your back under a squat.

Sensei
12-17-2007, 02:30 PM
HP,
I said "think back double bi pose" and Bohizzle was pointing out how a proper back double bi pose is performed (with scapulae spread) - I didn't realize that was the case and if someone were to "think back double bi pose" and get under the bar w. scaps spread, they would NOT be getting into proper position.

BFGUITAR
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Can anyone answer my question? lol

Bohizzle
12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Ok I squatted low bar again and it was A LOT better this time. My wrists didnt hurt and it was comfortable on my back.

The only problem here was I seemed to lose balance easy after I unrack. Once I get into position im fine though. Could this be because im not use to the different center of gravity?

Unrack slower. Take breath into ur belly before you unrack. Stand up with it, don't just use ur back to get it out of the rack.

HP666
12-17-2007, 06:30 PM
HP,
I said "think back double bi pose" and Bohizzle was pointing out how a proper back double bi pose is performed (with scapulae spread) - I didn't realize that was the case and if someone were to "think back double bi pose" and get under the bar w. scaps spread, they would NOT be getting into proper position.

Thanks Sensei, I was a little confused. I get it now.

My apologies to Bohiz and Rick.

Sensei
12-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Unrack slower. Take breath into ur belly before you unrack. Stand up with it, don't just use ur back to get it out of the rack.Exactly. Make sure your feet are centered properly under the bar and that you have the J-hooks set to an appropriate height that is not too high.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 07:23 PM
F-ing squats man, I tell ya!! I've been working on my form like crazy during my few weeks off while I was letting my knee heal. I finally start back on Saturday. I ramp up to 135 - very light - and I do great. My knees felt like a million bucks. No pressure whatsoever on my patella tendon. Today, I squat again...I ramp up to 140 - still very light - except today I took a nap before I went to the gym, so I was pretty tired during my warm-up sets. I get to my extremely light 140 lbs., which were going to be my working sets and I notice that my chest raised at a higher rate then my hips did - there's a form error. I finished my last set, which was where the form error happened, then I lowered the weight back down to 135 just to do one more practice squat before I moved on to my next lift, and BAM I pull some s*** in my stomach (If I had a six pack, it would be my top, right ab that hurts). My knees are cool though, but I go and hurt something else.

So not only am I a p***y that can only properly squat 135 lbs., but I hurt myself while doing it. This sucks arse. At least my knees are cool though. I guess I'll have to work on my breathing.

Oh ya, how it relates to this thread... I did get the hang of this low bar squat!! A wider stance was the solution to my knee problems. But I swear, if it's not one damn thing it's another with these damn squats. What the hell was I thinking before when I was trying to squat close to 300 lbs.??? No wonder I got hurt. My form licked goat testicles.

Sidior
12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I also find it easier to keep the elbows higher up when unracking. It seems to give a bit more of a shelf to unrack with. Once you are setup though tuck them back down before squatting.

Sensei
12-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Bri... I don't know how many different ways I need to say this, but rushing recovery is a very, very bad idea. You will compensate by putting more stress on other areas (often subconsciously and imperceivably) and could very well set yourself up for chronic issues.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I know it's a bad idea to rush recovery, but I thought I was doing the right thing by going much lighter on the weight and really working to perfect my form. My doc gave me the go ahead that I can start back up since there was no pain in my knee anymore. Do you think I should even go lighter then? Or should I just stop all together for a few months? Because the initial issue (knee) is taken care of.

My plan was to just start at 135 lbs., which is easy for me to control, but enough to make me have to focus, and I was just going to add 5 lbs. every workout. As soon as I felt my form start to slip, I was going to drop the weight back down. This stomach thing was just an out-of-the-blue thing that never happened before during squats. It's nothing serious though. I've felt this type of pain before. It's just a pulled muscle. It goes away in a few hours or maybe a day. I was just bitching that this damn squat is so damn complicated for me.