PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Deadlift form

mickyjune26
12-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Could some seasoned deadlifters provide feedback on my form?
You can't see but my heels are slightly wider than the smooth ring and the toes pointed slightly outward, about 5 inches from the weights (sumo for most, but just wide for me. I wish I had a longer bar).

Here's the URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAbARo4nDk

mickyjune26
12-11-2007, 11:14 PM
2nd set, part 1 of 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7xQXEh8yIs

...still waiting on getting the last of the 3 vids....pretty much the same thing though.

deeder
12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Get shorts.

Don't jerk the bar. You're letting your hips fly up and turning it into a sumo stance straight leg deadlift. Sit back at the beginning and squeeze the bar off the floor with your legs while keeping your back tight and chest up high. This should help you keep your hips down.

mickyjune26
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah, i forgot my tall socks that day, i went with pants vs. skinning my shins more.

Thanks for the advice man.

deeder
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Your videos don't work btw. I only saw the first one because you put a link to it.

Remember, from this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAbARo4nDk

You only put the following between the youtube tags:

UOAbARo4nDk

Sidior
12-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Get shorts.

Don't jerk the bar. You're letting your hips fly up and turning it into a sumo stance straight leg deadlift. Sit back at the beginning and squeeze the bar off the floor with your legs while keeping your back tight and chest up high. This should help you keep your hips down.

:withstupid:

Also start with your hips a bit higher to begin with. This will make it easier to squeeze the bar off the floor and because they are already a little higher they wont have nearly the tendency to pop up. It did not look like you were taking air before you pulled, are you?

bigmoney
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
did u ever call BAG Gym?

mickyjune26
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
did u ever call BAG Gym?

just left a message on sean's phone this morning. Basically asked if they have people join for a session, maybe in exchange for me loading and unloading all the weights, lol. Told him I was between a beginner and intermediate, my deads wre at 375 and I probably have bad form.

I guess it's in his court now. If he doesn't respond, i'm calling the other guy listed on their site.

RedSpikeyThing
12-12-2007, 09:10 AM
It looks like you're doing a squat, but with the bar on the floor. Start your hips up higher and don't jerk it off the ground.
A piece of advice I got for hip positioning is to start with your shoulder blads of the bar. This will force you to lean forward a little more and raise your hips up.

mickyjune26
12-12-2007, 09:15 AM
:withstupid:

Also start with your hips a bit higher to begin with. This will make it easier to squeeze the bar off the floor and because they are already a little higher they wont have nearly the tendency to pop up. It did not look like you were taking air before you pulled, are you?

Thanks man, I'll try with my hips a little higher, but make sure my hips don't fly up without my back going up at the same time.

I didn't take air.
Should push my stomach out like in squats?

I'm going to search for a dead form thread, so I don't ask the same q's others have.

mickyjune26
12-12-2007, 09:17 AM
It looks like you're doing a squat, but with the bar on the floor. Start your hips up higher and don't jerk it off the ground.
A piece of advice I got for hip positioning is to start with your shoulder blads of the bar. This will force you to lean forward a little more and raise your hips up.

Do you mean shoulder blades over the bar?

Bohizzle
12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Agree with what's been said, and yes take air, just like in squats, will help keep ur lower back tight.

Indifference
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
take a deeeeeep breath right before you pull. it will keep you tight and exhale on the way or at the top. really helped me keep tight.

McVein
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Do you mean shoulder blades over the bar?

is this a joke?

anyway, as has been said youre jerking way too much and hips come up too soon.

mickyjune26
12-12-2007, 01:34 PM
no, not a joke. just trying to figure out what he meant concerning the shoulder blades...

mickyjune26
12-12-2007, 01:35 PM
it looks like i have enough ammo to tear it up again this Sat or Sun. I'll record again.

Dgro
12-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes, I'm pretty sure he meant over the bar (which is good advice), but I don't see how that's a joke.

CiteCollegiale
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
It's best you keep your shins as close as you can to the bar WHILE still having your shoulders behind the bar. When your shoulders are behind the bar you can pull backwards which is what you're supposed to do.