PDA

View Full Version : pushing the glutes out

jtteg_x
12-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I saw one of elitefts' youtube clips where Dave instructs the squat giving a tip on "pushing the glutes out" on the squat. I tried this technique today and I never felt my lowerback/glutes work so hard on squats. The issue with me is that it is difficult to hit depth using this technique. I feel confident until I hit paralell where I break loose and lose my tightness. My glutes/hamstrings feel like there gonna explode at this specific point. Is it something that I will adapt to or is their a weakness of me?

Detard
12-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Link to the video?

jtteg_x
12-12-2007, 04:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyGIeV5R61Q

RickTheDestroyer
12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Do you mean when Jim's talking about leading back with the hips? Sitting back that hard pulls in the glutes and hammies and the whole posterior chain more, but an added benefit is that it's supposed to make it hard to hit depth. That tightness and borderline painful stretch reflex helps you launch out of the hole. Unless your hamstring flexibility is really good, you're going to have a hard time doing more than just kissing parallel (at least without your ass tucking under in the hole).
Honestly, sitting back hard just takes some practice. If you try to tap your sack on the back corner of the box, that will help. Your hammies may also be real tight and/or weak.

Stumprrp
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
that tightning is a good concept, especially if your a fairly wide squatter the key is to sit back hard, and on the way up squeeze your glutes, spread the floor apart, and push your abs hard.

Jason Pegg
12-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Sitting way back also helps load your suit up. Its hard to explain, but its why a guy can slide a canvas on himself and need 3 guys to help him get it off.

Jason

jtteg_x
12-15-2007, 11:40 PM
i normally squat shoulder width stance, but went a little wider this time. im still deciding best feet placement so i was just expirencing. this was done raw so i take it equipped lifters get MUCH benefit using this technique.