PDA

View Full Version : This is making me mad...

yankeekd25
12-12-2007, 08:29 AM
So I've been bulking for a little while now. I graudally increased my cals and I am now at 3600. However, it feels like I am just gaining fat. At 3400-3500 cals I didn't gain any weight. But at 3600 I gain fat. 100 cals make that big of a difference? I have no muscle/ muscle tone at all on my body and it's making me mad. I used to be real fat, but I cut down to 168ish. I am up to 170 and I've been clean bulking for about a month in a half. NOTHING. 2 measley pounds. When I do gain I go right back down to 168. I just don't get it. I've been stuck at the same bench press for a while. I don't want to gain too much fat on my bulk so that's why this is making me mad. I'd figure the fat that I do have to come with muscle (that I don't have). Comments? Answers? Ideas?

Avg Macros:
140-150 fat
300-300 carb
220-240 protein

Torrok
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
WHOA id say lower that fat income just a tid bit ther mate
i try to make fat 20% daily cals and make em good fats. 1g fat=9 cal
so in ur case 3600 x .20=720 , 720/9=80 so about 80g fat
thats all i would say, wait for some super experienced guy on here to answere but i know diet should be around 35-40% carb and protein, 20% fat

and whats ur routine like?

RedSpikeyThing
12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
100 calories shouldn't make that much of a difference. You said you gained 2 lbs in 6 weeks eating 3400-3500, but how fast were you gaining at 3600?
I think you may be experiencing "former fatty syndrome" where you're afraid of getting fat again. You have to understand that you are in control, you're gaining weight intentionally and you will get rid of it later.

Except no because fat doesn't make you fat and there is a recommended minimum amount of fat 0.5 g / lb of bodyweight.

yankeekd25
12-12-2007, 09:23 AM
100 calories shouldn't make that much of a difference. You said you gained 2 lbs in 6 weeks eating 3400-3500, but how fast were you gaining at 3600?
I think you may be experiencing "former fatty syndrome" where you're afraid of getting fat again. You have to understand that you are in control, you're gaining weight intentionally and you will get rid of it later.

Except no because fat doesn't make you fat and there is a recommended minimum amount of fat 0.5 g / lb of bodyweight.

It's really too tough to tell how quickly I am gaining weight because it fluctuates way too much. I literally went from 168 to 171 back down to 169. I've never been more than 172 pounds on this clean bulk. Believe it or not, I checked my weight yesterday and I am back down to 168. This sucks. Could there be an underlying problem? Perhaps a thyroid issue?

Bohizzle
12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe ur not working out hard enough? I know nobody wants to ever think that they're not working out hard enough, but if all the weight ur putting on is fat, and and ur diet seems good, maybe u should try exerting urself a bit harder.

yankeekd25
12-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe ur not working out hard enough? I know nobody wants to ever think that they're not working out hard enough, but if all the weight ur putting on is fat, and and ur diet seems good, maybe u should try exerting urself a bit harder.

I'm doing wbb1.1 and I can tell you I am working hard. I've been following the program exactly, increasing the weight exactly how it's telling me to. My squat and d/l have increased but not my bench or any other upper body exercises.

AKMass
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
You didn't mention how you know all the weight you're putting on is fat...And your sig implies that you haven't measured it. Are you just judging by looking in the mirror? Also, how often are you weighing yourself? Everyone's weight jumps around from day to day/during the day. I hope I'm not telling you stuff that you already know...

ADT
12-12-2007, 03:28 PM
thats all i would say, wait for some super experienced guy on here to answere but i know diet should be around 35-40% carb and protein, 20% fat

If there were scientific evidence behind your advice I would weigh about 700 pounds currently. I regularly eat 175-200g of fat each day. What's your point?

Furthermore, advice on recommended nutritional percentages is so yesterday.

Macro analysis should be examined in this chronological order for gaining size:

1) Calories
2) Protein
3) Fat
4) Carbohydrates (these come with increased calories - explains last place)

Everything else will fall into place. It is as simple as that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

yankeekd25 has very detailed instructions on what to do - and when - in order to get larger. He is going to grow all together versus seeing one muscle grow in size versus another. The opposite same scenario as losing weight. Your bench may not be increasing but you told me your squat is - there's your proof.

Listen to RedSpikeyThing. He knows what he is talking about. You can always lean out afterwards.

Go back over the series of PM's I sent you. You'll be fine. As I told you before, patience is to be practiced to perfection. You are gradually changing. You will make it Justin - you will make it...

Best,
ADT

Notorious
12-12-2007, 04:15 PM
It's really too tough to tell how quickly I am gaining weight because it fluctuates way too much. I literally went from 168 to 171 back down to 169. I've never been more than 172 pounds on this clean bulk. Believe it or not, I checked my weight yesterday and I am back down to 168. This sucks. Could there be an underlying problem? Perhaps a thyroid issue?

Don't worry about a couple pounds, it's very likely just water weight. Happens to me all the time.

Paul Stagg
12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
on this clean bulk.

I have identified your problem.

RedSpikeyThing
12-12-2007, 04:42 PM

When do you weigh yourself?

McIrish
12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
If there were scientific evidence behind your advice I would weigh about 700 pounds currently. I regularly eat 175-200g of fat each day. What's your point?

Furthermore, advice on recommended nutritional percentages is so yesterday.

Macro analysis should be examined in this chronological order for gaining size:

1) Calories
2) Protein
3) Fat
4) Carbohydrates (these come with increased calories - explains last place)

Everything else will fall into place. It is as simple as that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

yankeekd25 has very detailed instructions on what to do - and when - in order to get larger. He is going to grow all together versus seeing one muscle grow in size versus another. The opposite same scenario as losing weight. Your bench may not be increasing but you told me your squat is - there's your proof.

Listen to RedSpikeyThing. He knows what he is talking about. You can always lean out afterwards.

Go back over the series of PM's I sent you. You'll be fine. As I told you before, patience is to be practiced to perfection. You are gradually changing. You will make it Justin - you will make it...

Best,
ADT

ADT, that is one of the best posts I've seen on here recently, and it didn't mention peanuts even one time! ;)

Patience is the key in this game, and I'm willing to bet the OP was just eyeballing his fat gain in the mirror. I suffer from FFS (former fatty syndrome), too, so I know that feeling. As for the bench not going up, have you considered switching to dumbbells for a bit to work around your plateau? I find that DB benching for 3 or 4 months helps my regular bench a TON.

yankeekd25
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Thank you all for your great responses. I weight myself every Monday before I do my squats. It's just frustrating when you weight yourself after increasing cals and you actually LOSE weight. Yes that happens at times. Either I'm losing weight or gaining what I am "eyeballing as fat gain in the mirror". Maybe I am a little too impatient? I just want to make sure I am gaining muscle and it just doesn't seem that way. But, I trust your guys judgement and I guess I will just shut up, keep eating, and not worry about a little fat haha.

Oh Andrew... speaking of peanuts. Do you watch Iron Chef America? The special ingredient last Sunday was peanuts/ peanut butter. One of the chefs (Bobby Flay) made ribs with a peanut sauce, and chopped peanuts on top. Orgasmic looking. Just wondering if you caught it?

RhodeHouse
12-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Here's what's up - you haven't gained anything in 6 weeks - EAT MORE! It's that simple. You have to gain a little fat to gain muscle. I would make sure to get at least 200g of protein in everyday. Try to stay away from sugar. Bottom line, if you aren't gaining, you aren't eating enough.

As far as how you look - if you were a former fatty, it's gonna take some time to build up what you have. You expect weeks or months. Start thinking years before you start to get what you want. This journey is a marathon, not a sprint. Pack your lunch, it's time to go to work.

RedSpikeyThing
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I weight myself every Monday before I do my squats.
If you don't go to the gym first thing in the morning this will throw your measurements right out the window. I would suggest you weigh yourself in the morning after using the can.

Built
12-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Percentages? Have we not moved on from this archaic practice?