PDA

View Full Version : Phase 2: What I'm really capable of.

Outshine
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Alright, here we go.

My Current Stats:

Height: 5'10-5'11
Weight: 158.2lbs as of yesterday.
Original Starting Weight: 120lbs my first day inside of a gym.
Recent Picture: Below (It's from a month or two ago, at the end of a cut. I was about 155lbs.)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/outshine8/start.gif

My Current Goals:
As if it even needs to be mentioned, at a massive 158lbs, my goal is increasing muscle. My ultimate long term goal is probably being 185lbs with a body fat near 10% or so. Whether or not my body is capable of that, I don't know. What I do know is that this journal will consist of me doing everything humanly possible to reach that goal.

My Current Training:
I'm currently doing an upper/lower split that steals a lot from a bunch of programs/advice I've come across, with the basic outline stolen mostly from BGB (thanks Built). It breaks down like this:

Day 1: UPPER BODY #1
Flat Bench Press - 4x6-8
Incline DB Press - 3x8-10
Flyes - 2x10-12
Bent Over Barbell Rows - 4x6-8
Hammer Strength Rows - 3x8-10
Bicep Exercise #1 - 3xwhatever
Bicep Exercise #2 - 2xwhatever

Day 2: LOWER BODY #1
Squats - 4x6
Barbell Lunges - 3x8
Seated Leg Curls - 3x12
Calves (Straight Leg) - 4x8
Abs (weighted crunches, hanging leg raises)

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: UPPER BODY #2
Pull Ups - 4x6-8
Overhead Barbell Press - 4x6-8
Lateral Raises - 3x10-12
Tricep Exercise #1 - 3xwhatever
Tricep Exercise #2 - 2xwhatever

Day 5: LOWER BODY #2
RDLs - 4x6
Lying Leg Curls - 3x8
Single Leg Press - 3x12
Calves (Bent Leg) - 3x12
Shrugs - 3x8-10
Abs (side crunches, planks, side planks, leg raises)

Day 6: OFF

Day 7: OFF

*EDIT: I have since changed up the upper body days. There is now a horizontal push and pull movement and a vertical push and pull movement on each day. One day the focus is more on the horizontal movements, and the other day the focus is more on the vertical movements. I also do a bi and a tri exercise on each day as well.

My Current Diet:
Rather than write up my entire diet, here's a general outline of what it looks like:
My goal is gaining muscle while minimizing fat gain. Therefore, I am eating about 300-500 calories above maintenance.
My diet is 100% clean from top to bottom. I know it doesn't need to be, but it is, and I like it that way. It's been like this for years and won't ever change. My interest in junk food/cheat meals no longer exists.
I'm getting near 1.5 grams of protein per pound, 30% of the total calorie intake comes from fat, and the rest is carbs.
Protein sources are chicken, eggs/egg whites, lean cuts of meat, turkey, fish and protein shakes.
Fat sources are almonds, peanuts, olive oil, and fish oil supplements.
Carb sources are brown rice, beans, whole wheat bread and vegetables/fruits.

My Current Supplements:

Whey
Fish oil

My History:

I first joined a gym in 1999 when I was about 17 years old... at a whopping 120lbs. That's at the same height I am now (5'10-5'11), by the way.
That whole first and second year was nothing but bicep machines and pec decks and making it to the gym once a week on average due to the lazy friend I joined with never wanting to go. I am no longer friends with this friend. :thumbup:
Sometime in 2001, thanks to my super awesome subscription to Muscle & Fitness, I learned that there was such a thing as "diet."
By sometime in the middle of 2002, I had bulked all the way up to 170lbs. A pretty fat 170lbs, if I may say so myself.
I knew I then needed to "cut" and cut I did. A combination of reducing my calorie intake by too much too quickly combined with doing fasted AM cardio 3 times a week (not to mention that fact that my training sucked balls) and I was back down to skinny-fat 140lbs in no time. If I had a time machine, this is the first place in my life I'd go back to... to redo that initial bulk/cut. What a dumbass.
From 2003-2005 I basically got no where. This was in large part due to personal reasons that basically took every single drop of focus I had at the time. For those years I was the absolute stereotype of the guy in the gym doing the same ****, lifting the same weights, getting the same reps, over and over again every day for years... with absolutely nothing to show for it.
Sometime in 2006 I started to "bulk" again, this time with some greatly improved knowledge.
Sometime at the beginning of 2007, I started to cut again, this time with some wayyyyy greatly improved knowledge.
In November of 2007 (last month), I decided to bulk again. This time I spent the previous 4 months reading every single thing I could possibly read about diet/training, and while I'm far from anything close to an expert, I think I kind of know what I'm doing now. I consider everything up to this point "Phase 1." What a ****ty phase it was.
That brings us up to today, where I'm currently 3lbs into what I have nicknamed "Phase 2." Phase 2 ends when I'm a lean 185lbs. This journal is where that will all happen.

(*NOTE* Sorry for the giant never-ending intro post. I was bored. Damn TV writers strike. :boring: )

Outshine
12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 30lbs - 8
BW + 30lbs - 7
BW + 30lbs - 6
BW + 30lbs - 5
Notes: This is a very slight increase from last week, when I got 7, 7, 6, 5.

Seated Overhead Press
115lbs - 7.9 (GRRR!)
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 5
Notes: This was a 5lb increase from last week, when I got 8, 8, 7, 6 with 110lbs. That first set was within inches of the 8th rep, but I couldn't lock it the **** out. I ended up fighting it for like 10 seconds before failing. I can't even remember the last time I accidentally went to failure overhead pressing. Blah. It totally destroyed me physically and mentally. Next week I will own that ****ing rep.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
20's - 12
25's - 10
Notes: Did that last set one arm at a time.

Overhead Dumbbell Extension
60lbs - 12
60lbs - 10
65lbs - 7

Cable Press Downs
3 Big Plates - 6
2 Big Plates - 8
Notes: I have no clue how much weight I'm using on this machine because the plates are not labeled. There's a bunch of smaller plates, and then a bunch of bigger plates. So, I just count plates. When I say "3 big plates" it means the pin is in a spot where I'm using all of the small plates plus 3 big ones.

Not too happy with this workout. That first overhead pressing set just completely ruined my day.

Outshine
12-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Lower Body #2

RDLs
Last week I got 215 for 4x6, and today was increase day. I went up to 220 and did one set of about 5 and felt the same way I have for the last bunch of RDL sessions... I'm just not happy with my form. I'm moving the weight, but I'm using wayyy too much back to do it and wayyy too little hams. So, my solution is to go back down in weight, fix whatever is wrong with my form, and start increasing from there. Today I played around with only 185lbs, but... it still needs some work.

Hammer Strength Leg Curls
45+45+45+10 - 8
45+45+45 - 8
45+45+45 - 6
Notes: Last week I got 7, 7, 5 with the same weight. so this is an increase. Next week I'm adding 5lbs to each set.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+10+10 (per side) - 12/12
45+10+10 (per side) - 12/12
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: Leg pressing one leg at a time is brand new to me as I have only ever done them with both legs up until 3 weeks ago. I've started pretty light (I was pressing 5-6 plates per side with both legs) and am adding 10lbs per week for 3x12. So far so good.

Seated Calves
90lbs - 12
90lbs - 10
90lbs - 10
Notes: This is up from 10, 9, 9 last week with the same weight, so this is another small increase. 3x12 is the goal here.

Barbell Shrugs
200lbs - 8
200lbs - 8
200lbs - 8
Notes: This is a rep increase from last week too. Next week I'm adding 5lbs.

Ab Stuff
Just 10-15 minutes of leg raises, hip thrusts, planks and stuff.

Outshine
12-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Rest day today and yesterday, but I did want to mention the sandwich I just ate.

Pretty much every day lunch for me is a homemade grilled chicken sandwich on 2 pieces of whole wheat pita bread, with some olive oil thrown on for added calories.

I typically cook a bunch of chicken twice a week and store it specifically for use on these sandwiches.

So, I'm putting the whole thing together when all of a sudden disaster strikes... half of 1 sandwich worth of chicken falls on the floor. I would have gladly taken the 5 second rule into consideration if I didn't then step on it the second it hit the ground.

Funny the thing is normally I'm barefoot in my house (or just socks) but today I had sneakers on because I'm expecting the UPS guy with some Christmas stuff scheduled to come today. Wonderful.

So now my lunch is down in both protein and calories, plus I'm just plain hungry as it is. The first idea is just steal some from tomorrow's batch of chicken, but this was the last of this current batch. New chicken would be cooked today. This was the last of it. Wonderful again.

So, I figured I'd go to my backup food, tuna fish, and just have it replace chicken for this one sandwich.

That's when I got to thinkin... I wonder what a half chicken/half tuna pita bread and olive oil sandwich would taste like?

So I threw on the chicken, threw about half a can of tuna fish right on top of it, put some olive oil on top of that, and then closed it up with the bread.

It actually wasn't bad. The thing that made odd though was that the chicken was warmed up, and the tuna came right out of the fridge. So it was half cold/half hot, half tuna/half chicken.

It was ALL eaten, though. :thumbup:

MJay
12-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Looks tidy man, keep up the good work!

Some PB would have spread nicely on that sandwhich aswell!

Outshine
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Looks tidy man, keep up the good work!

Some PB would have spread nicely on that sandwhich aswell!

Thanks man. Has Tuna + PB ever been done before?

Outshine
12-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Upper Body #1

Bench Press
175lbs - 8
175lbs - 8
175lbs - 7
175lbs - 6
Notes: Goal here is 4x6-8, so I'll be going to 180lbs next week. This was also a 5lb increase from last week. I was recently benching 190lbs for 4x4-6 at the end of my cut and the couple of weeks after (was getting reps of 6, 5, 4, 4 most recently with that weight), but I wanted to up the rep range a bit when I started bulking... which is now. Plus, my bench was due for some type of change. So, I dropped the weight a little and upped the reps. Now I'm just increasing this **** as often as humanly possible. So far it's going quite well.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 8
70's - 6
Notes: Since upping my bench press volume right before it my incline DB pressing has been a bit tougher, which I guess is to be expected. The goal here is 3x10, possibly 3x8-10. Oh, and in case anyone wonders, "70's" is my way of writing a 70lb DB in one hand, and a 70lb DB in the other... not 2 35's.

Flyes
40's - 10
40's - 10
Notes: Sooo gay, I agree, but the curl jockey in me just loves his 2 chest isolation sets. ;) Plus, it's a nice intermission before switching to horizontal pulling.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
140lbs - 8
140lbs - 8
145lbs - 7
145lbs - 7
Notes: I'll be increasing the weight here next week. First two sets were too easy. Totally in the zone. I noticed I let out a VERY Dave Tate style grunt on a few of those reps. Definitely a sign that I've been watching too many of those videos in elitefts's youtube channel. It really is helpful watching guys like that train, though. Helps put me in the right mindset.

Single Arm Hammer Strength Rows
45+45+5 (each side) - 10
45+45+5 (each side) - 10
45+45+5 (each side) - 10
Notes: Never really used any of my gym's Hammer Strength back stuff before, mostly because chest supported rowing feels awkward as hell to me for some reason. Getting more used to it though. Will be increasing the weight next week.

Barbell Curls
65lbs - 10
75lbs - 8
85lbs - 6
Notes: Up a rep or so from last week. I'll be adding 5lbs to each set next week.

DB Preacher Curls (single arm, obviously)
35lbs - 8
35lbs - 6
Notes: Used 30's last week, so this is an increase. It may actually be my dumbbell preacher curl PR, lol. :D

All in all, awesome ****ing workout.

MJay
12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks man. Has Tuna + PB ever been done before?

Someones probably had a go but I wouldn't want to try it.

Outshine
12-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Someones probably had a go but I wouldn't want to try it.

I'm with you on that one.

Lower Body #1

Squats
175lbs - 6
175lbs - 6
175lbs - 4
175lbs - 3
Notes: Lost focus on those last two sets. Should have gotten 5, 4. Blah. First two were strong though. Oh, and for anyone interested, I'd fully agree with the opinion that my squat is pathetic. My body just wasn't built to squat. I've been trying for years to get form and everything down, but it just never happened... until recently. I watch Sensei's SquatRX videos on an almost constant loop and it has helped a ton. A few months ago I was squating 135lbs for 4x6, so I've almost made a 40lb increase. Still a pathetic weight, sure, but for me and my squat issues, this is AMAZING progress. Just figured I mentioned that.

Barbell Lunges
120lbs - 8 (per leg)
120lbs - 8
120lbs - 7
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week, and god did I feel it. I swear, nothing I do in the gym kills me as much as lunges. Physically and mentally, these just ****ing destroy me. Seriously, I finish a set and want to sit down and cry.

Seated Leg Curls
165lbs - 12
165lbs - 12
165lbs - 10

Calf Press (inside leg press)
45+45+45+35 (per side) - 8

Abs
3x20 of weighted crunches with a 65lb dumbbell on my chest, and 3x12 of hanging leg raises.

Outshine
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 30lbs - 8
BW + 30lbs - 8
BW + 30lbs - 6
BW + 30lbs - 6
Notes: This is an increase from last week, when I got 8, 7, 6, 5. Next week I'm increasing to 35lbs.

Seated Overhead Press
115lbs - 8
115lbs - 7
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
Notes: I ****ing owned these today. Last week I got 7, 6, 6, 5 with the same weight, so this is an increase. Next week I'm increasing to 120lbs.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
20's - 12
25's - 10
Notes: Did that last set one arm at a time.

Overhead Dumbbell Extension
60lbs - 12
60lbs - 10
65lbs - 7

Cable Press Downs
3 Big Plates - 7
3 Big Plates - 4 (dropset into "all small plates" for 6)
Notes: I have no clue how much weight I'm using on this machine because the plates are not labeled. There's a bunch of smaller plates, and then a bunch of bigger plates. So, I just count plates. When I say "3 big plates" it means the pin is in a spot where I'm using all of the small plates plus 3 big ones.

Damn good workout. Pullups and overhead presses get increased 5lbs next week.

Outshine
12-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Lower Body #2

RDLs
As I mentioned last week, I'm still playing around with form here. Did 135x10, 185x8, 195x8, 205x5 205x4, 135x6. Still not where I want it to be yet.

45+45+45+10+5 - 8
45+45+45+5 - 7
45+45+45+5 - 5
Notes: 5lb increase to each set from last week. Pretty darn good. I feel like I can lift an infinite amount of weight on that first set.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: That's up in weight from last week. Pressing 1 leg a time is becoming less awkward every workout.

Seated Calves
90lbs - 12
90lbs - 10
90lbs - 10
Notes: Same as last week, but rest times were reduced a bit due to lack of time.

Barbell Shrugs
205lbs - 8
205lbs - 8
205lbs - 8
Notes: That's a 5lb increase from last week.

Ab Stuff
Just 10-15 minutes of leg raises, planks and stuff.

North
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
nice romanians man. Good luck on ur goal

samadhi_smiles
12-20-2007, 03:59 PM
post a video if you can of your RDLs, there are some pretty knowledgeable folks on here that can critique you (I'm not one of them!).

Outshine
12-23-2007, 11:13 AM
nice romanians man. Good luck on ur goal

Thanks man.

post a video if you can of your RDLs, there are some pretty knowledgeable folks on here that can critique you (I'm not one of them!).

It's not so much that I need help figuring out what is wrong. I pretty much know... it's just doing it that seems to be my problem. When I go lighter (185lbs and under) it's pretty good. Any heavier and it starts to get bad. It's like the heavier weight controls me rather than me controlling the weight.

Upper Body #1

Last year I took this whole week off from lifting. This year I am only taking off tomorrow (lower body day) because it's Christmas Eve, and even more so, I need a break from that workout. Squats/lunges f'ing kill me.

However, after today's workout, I see why taking the whole week last year was a good idea. Being in the "Chirstmas spirit" totally interferes with my ability to be in the "I'm going to kill these ****ing weights!" spirit.

Not to mention, it was really nice out today for this time of the year (50+ degrees), and my gym had the heat blasting like it was 20 degrees out. I hate heat.

Ok... enough excuses for one journal entry. :whiner: Here's the workout:

Bench Press
180lbs - 8
180lbs - 7
180lbs - 5
180lbs - 5
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. First, second and forth sets were pretty damn good. Third set, not so much. Next week the goal is 8, 7-8, 6, 6.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 8
70's - 6
Notes: Sweating like crazy at this point while yelling "shut the ****ing heat!!!" in my head. :mad:

Flyes
40's - 10
40's - 8-10?
Notes: Too hot to count reps accurately here.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
145lbs - 8
145lbs - 8
145lbs - 6
145lbs - 6
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week. I think I want to repeat this weight over again next week even though this is when I'd normally increase. Just want to get those last couple of reps a bit better before adding weight.

45+45+10 (each side) - 10
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. I had to let go and re-grab the handle a couple of times due to it slipping out of my hand... due to sweat... due to the ****ing heat being on!!

Barbell Curls
70lbs - 10
80lbs - 7
90lbs - 4
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week. Not too shabby.

35lbs - 8
35lbs - 6
Notes: Same as last week, no energy to try any harder.

Not a terrible workout by any means (got a few increases), but I know I could have/should have worked harder. The combination of insane heat and Christmas being right here just kind of prevented it today.

Sure does suck driving home from the gym just wanting to go back and redo it all with more effort. Oh well. Next week I'm going to kill a mother ****er, though. :D

whiteman90909
12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
That looks like a nice long workout man, now you get to eat to make it count! Holiday bulking rocks!

Outshine
01-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Slacked on this journal a bit, but it was due to a combination of holiday stuff and the forum being down. Back to business now...

Upper Body #1

Bench Press
185lbs - 7
185lbs - 6
185lbs - 5
185lbs - 5
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. Felt VERY doable. Next week I'll be looking to add 1 rep to each of those sets.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 9
70's - 6.5
Notes: Got 10, 8, 7 last week. I guess getting the extra rep in the second set made me lose a rep in the 3rd. Although, I was half way to 7 and should have gotten it, but didn't. Next week, baby.

Flyes
40's - 10
40's - 8
Notes: Quick sets, nothing special.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
150lbs - 8
150lbs - 7
150lbs - 6
150lbs - 6
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week, and I'll be going up 5lbs again next week. I've been loving these lately.

45+45+10+10 (each side) - 10
45+45+10+10 (each side) - 8
45+45+10+10 (each side) - 8
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. Got a little sloppy towards the end of these sets today, will have to fix next time.

Barbell Curls
70lbs - 10
80lbs - 8
90lbs - 5
Notes: Got 10, 8, 4 last time, so it's a small increase.

35lbs - 8
35lbs - 6
Notes: I can never remember what seat setting I use on these. Note to self: Seat setting #4 = good.

Awesome workout. Totally in the zone as far as focus and effort go. Gotta bring that **** every single day.

Outshine
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Lower Body #1

Squats
145lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
165lbs - 6
175lbs - 6
185lbs - 2 (PR)
Notes: Made a change today that I've been thinking about making for a few weeks. That change is that instead of doing straight sets like I've been doing (like 100x6, 100x6, 100x6, 100x6) I'm gonna now pyramid the weight, but keep the reps the same. I made the same change to my RDLs last week. The reason is that I just feel better that way. When it comes to upper body stuff it's the complete opposite. I like staying with that one weight. With leg stuff I need to start a bit lower and then work up. Felt good today, will be adding 5lbs to each set next time. And for fun afterwards I gave 185lbs a try and got 2 up with very little problem. As pathetic as 185 is, it's my new PR. :)

Barbell Lunges
120lbs - 8 (per leg)
120lbs - 8
125lbs - 6 (PR)
Notes: Added 5lbs to that 3rd set, which is my new lunge PR. These destroyed me today, as they always do.

Seated Leg Curls
165lbs - 12
165lbs - 12
Notes: This is normally 3x12, but I'm dropping that 3rd set and doing 2x12 for now on. My hams get used a quite a bit when lunging, and with an RDL/leg curl day later in the week, its been feeling like too much for my hams. It's only a 1 set difference, but I'll see what happens. Adding 5lbs to both sets here next week.

Standing Calf Raises
135lbs - 8
135lbs - 8
135lbs - 8
135lbs - 6
Notes: Switched to these today instead of doing calves in the leg press. I've always been weak as **** with these, no idea why. Will be working on it, though.

Abs
3x20 of weighted crunches with a 65lb dumbbell on my chest, and 3x12 of hanging leg raises.

Another one in the win column. :strong:

Outshine
01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 35lbs - 8
BW + 35lbs - 7ish
BW + 35lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
Notes: That 7th rep in the second set was probably a bit short of a full rep. Like 6.8 reps. :)

Seated Overhead Press
115lbs - 8
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
120lbs - 2 (just for fun, could have done more)
Notes: That second set could have been 7 reps, but I stopped early. A guy walked in front of me and stood there for my last 3 reps trying to do something with a dumbbell. What? No idea. Annoy me is all I assume he intended to do, and he did it. Blah. I'm still increasing all the sets to 120lbs next time.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 10
25's - 8
Notes:

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 30lbs - 12
EZ Bar + 40lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 6-8?
Notes: No idea what the EZ curl bar weighs, so I'll be writing it like this. I lost count of how many reps I ended up doing on that last set as some other annoying dumbass stood close enough to me that I would have hit him with the bar if I didn't delay my reps and wait for him to move a little. These new year's resolution people should be put on a bus and driven off a cliff. :evillaugh:

Single Arm Reverse Cable Pressdown
36lbs - 10
36lbs - 10

Good workout.

Outshine
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Lower Body #2

RDLs
185lbs - 6
205lbs - 6
215lbs - 6
215lbs - 5
Notes: Still working on form. It seems to only become a problem when I go above 185lbs in weight.

45+45+45+10+5 - 8
45+45+45+5 - 8
45+45+45+5 - 6
Notes: Got an extra rep in each of the last two sets.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+35+5 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: These are starting to become fun, and by 'fun' I mean hard as ****.

Seated Calves
90lbs - 12
90lbs - 12
90lbs - 11
Notes:

Barbell Shrugs
185lbs - 10
205lbs - 8
215lbs - 6
135lbs - 12
Notes:

Ab Stuff
Just 10 minutes of leg raises, planks and stuff.

Outshine
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
This did not end up being the ideal day to get in the gym and make good **** happen. Was super busy yesterday (and well into the night) so I not only ended up falling short in the calorie intake department, but also being pretty tired today.

THEN, got to the gym and realized I forgot my watch. I'm pretty anal about rest times between sets, so I was pretty much lost without it. I ended up leaving the gym a bit early which shows didn't rest long enough somewhere. Gym was also hot and crowded like crazy today.

I failed at this workout before I even touched a weight. Blah.

Upper Body #1

Bench Press
185lbs - 7
185lbs - 6
185lbs - 5
185lbs - 5
Notes: Exactly the same as last week.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 9
70's - 7
Notes: I'll be looking for 10,9,8 next time, and then looking for 75's.

Flyes
40's - 10
40's - 8
Notes: Quick sets, nothing special.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
155lbs - 7
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 5
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. Not too bad except for how crowded the gym was in this area. I had a crew of 120lb high school aged kids doing curls all around me.

Notes: Did a couple of sets, felt bored with it (felt the same way last week), and decided to replace these with seated cable rows with a V grip. Just tried to get an idea of what kind of weight I should be using. 120-140lbs seems about right for sets of 3x10 for me.

Barbell Curls
70lbs - 10
80lbs - 8
90lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last week.

35lbs - 8
35lbs - 7
Notes: 35lbsx7 is up a rep from last week.

Nothing completely horrible by any means, but still not what it should have been.

Outshine
01-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Official most embarrassing moment I've ever had in the gym happened today. See below for all of the hilarious (to everyone but me, at least) details.

Lower Body #1

Squats
150lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
170lbs - 6
180lbs - 4
Notes: Each set is up 5lbs from last week.

Barbell Lunges
120lbs - 8 (per leg)
120lbs - see below
125lbs - 6
Notes: Yeah so, it finally happened. Every once in a while when lunging I do a rep where I end up coming up a bit off balance. All of these times I've been able to re-balance myself and continue without any problem. Today however, I fell backwards on my ass like a complete dumbass. I somehow managed to dump the bar off behind me on the way down, not bang my head on the machines located right behind where I lunge, and generally survive this fall perfectly fine. The only thing that hurts is my ego and the fact that, while sitting on the floor like a dumbass, I had the whole gym giving me that "what a ****ing dumbass" look. Boy did that suck. I have no idea why, but I somehow had the balls to put the bar back up and actually ADD 5lbs to it and do another set right after. Of course it was a terrible set (similar to the set you'd do right after getting stuck without a spotter when bench pressing) where all you can think about is not falling again. This could be a pretty big mental block for me here, so I'm not sure what I'll do next week. Blah.

Seated Leg Curls
172.5lbs - 12
172.5lbs - 11
172.5lbs - 8-9ish
Notes: This is up 7.5lbs from last week. Felt strong. (I've already ignored what I said last week about only doing 2 sets here instead of 3.)

Standing Calf Raises
135lbs - 8
135lbs - 8
155lbs - 8
155lbs - 8
Notes: I noticed that my foot placement on the little platform makes a huge difference in how hard/easy these are. Today... easy. Gotta remember to put feet in same spot.

Abs

bjohnso
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Nice weighted pullups, you're at about where I am on those. I hardly ever see anyone do those.

And you look pretty stacked for being 158lbs in your picture, are you sure that's all you weigh?

Outshine
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice weighted pullups, you're at about where I am on those. I hardly ever see anyone do those.

And you look pretty stacked for being 158lbs in your picture, are you sure that's all you weigh?

Thanks man.

About the pullups, the other day I saw a guy doing them, and I almost went over to shake his hand. It was the first person I've ever seen doing them besides me in, ya know, non-YouTube form. It was amazing.

About my weight, yup. Actually in that pic I'm more like 154-155. I get a similar "is your scale broken" response every once in a while when I tell someone my weight.

I think it's a little because my legs definitely lag a bit, but I think it's mostly due to having a really tiny bone structure. I started at a crazy small 120lbs. I have a theory that me at 120-130lbs is equal in size to an average person at 150lbs at my same height.

Outshine
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 35lbs - 8
BW + 35lbs - 7
BW + 35lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last week. Grrr.

Seated Overhead Press
120lbs - 7
120lbs - 5
120lbs - 5
120lbs - 5
120lbs - 2 (just to test something with my form)
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. Somehow my 3rd set of 5 was easier than the first one. Better form groove, I suspect.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 10
25's - 10
Notes:

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 40lbs - 11
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 9
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 8
Notes: First two sets were up 5lbs, 3rd set might be up 1-2 reps. Either way, these were good today.

36lbs - 10
41lbs - 6
Notes: Finally came up with a way to add a smaller increment of weight to these (it goes from 36lbs to 48lbs which is wayyyy too much for single arm tricep nonsense. I put a 5lb plate against the stack of weights and then put the pin through it. Bingo, 5lbs added.

Pretty good day.

whiteman90909
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
That's still some fine intensity. It doesn't look bad dude, just keep going!

Outshine
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
That's still some fine intensity. It doesn't look bad dude, just keep going!

Thanks man, will do!

bjohnso
01-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Yep, you've got me beat on those pullups.

Built
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Small bones and joints make for a VERY jacked-looking physique. You get those legs caught up to those lats and you'll stop traffic!

Nice squatting - you're making serious gains lately! For the RDLs, lean your ass back and try to lift your toes off the floor. If you can't, you need to readjust. Try to push the barbell THROUGH your thighs as you lower.

Outshine
01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Yep, you've got me beat on those pullups.

That sounds impressive as long as no one mentions that you have me beat on probably every other lift. :)

Small bones and joints make for a VERY jacked-looking physique. You get those legs caught up to those lats and you'll stop traffic!

Nice squatting - you're making serious gains lately! For the RDLs, lean your ass back and try to lift your toes off the floor. If you can't, you need to readjust. Try to push the barbell THROUGH your thighs as you lower.

Thanks Built! About your RDL tips, I think you have helped me figure out my problem. When the weight gets a bit heavier, it kind of pulls me foward and puts most of my weight on my toes (and more lower back use than hamerstring use, I assume). Next week I'll try to keep my toes off the floor. If I can't, I guess I should be using less weight?

Lower Body #2

RDLs
185lbs - 8
195lbs - 6
205lbs - 6
215lbs - 6
Notes: Form seemed a bit better today, still not perfect though. Will try what Built mentioned above next time.

45+45+45+10+10 - 7
45+45+45+10 - 6
45+45+45+10 - 5
Notes: Added 5lbs to each set here, not bad. It's getting to the point though where the spot to put the plates doesn't have enough room with the 3 45's and 2 10's. It's totally at maximum full-ness then. I'm amazed a 10 didn't fall off during the set.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+25 per side) - 12/12
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
45+25 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: This is an on-purpose decrease. Didn't feel like I was going deep enough last time, and maybe did them a bit too fast. Fixed it all this time. Definitely slower and deeper than I was doing them. Adding 5lbs next week.

Seated Calves
95lbs - 11
95lbs - 10
95lbs - 9
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week.

Barbell Shrugs
185lbs - 10
205lbs - 10
215lbs - 6
Notes: That second set felt super easy. Adding 5lbs next week to each set.

Ab Stuff

bjohnso
01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
That sounds impressive as long as no one mentions that you have me beat on probably every other lift. :)

Meh, weighted pullups are a tricky exercise. Sometimes I'm feelin' them, sometimes I'm not. I'm getting back into them now, we can have a race or something, lol.

Outshine
01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Meh, weighted pullups are a tricky exercise. Sometimes I'm feelin' them, sometimes I'm not. I'm getting back into them now, we can have a race or something, lol.

lol, I'm down for that. First person to add 10lbs to their current weighted pullup wins an imaginary trophy.

Outshine
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Made a routine change mid-workout. :) I had planned to do it within the next month or two, but... after benching I said **** it and made the switch.

Upper Body #1

Bench Press
185lbs - 7
185lbs - 6
185lbs - 5
185lbs - 5
Notes: Once again, same as last week. This is what fueled my mid-workout routine change decision.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
155lbs - 8
155lbs - 7
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
Notes: Nice, 3 of those sets are up 1 rep from last week. I'll be upping the weight to 160lbs next week.

Seated Overhead Press
120lbs - 6
120lbs - 5
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 5
Notes: The fact that I'm now overhead pressing after benching is the only thing I'm not 100% happy about in this new routine. It definitely has a negative effect compared to overhead pressing as the first pushing exercise in the workout, which is something I've done for as long as I can remember. I'll leave it for now, but it's possible I'll make a small change that brings this back to the first pushing lift of the other upper day.

Lat Pull Down (underhand grip)
84lbs - 10
84lbs - 10
Notes: Easy as hell and light on purpose. It's been probably 1-2 years since I've even touched a lat pull down, and it's been infinity since I've done them with an underhand grip (never have). Wanted to make sure form is good, so I'll just slowly add weight from here. My original intention here was hammer strength high rows (a Built suggestion) but, my gym has decided sometime within the last couple of days to remove the seat padding. They do this to all hammer strength stuff every few months when the padding gets ripped, and then it takes god knows how long to replace it. Idiots. So for now, I'm doing these.

DB Flyes
35lbs - 12
40lbs - 9
Notes: None.

Barbell Curls
70lbs - 10
80lbs - 8
90lbs - 6
Notes: Felt pretty strong here... will be increasing these next week.

35lbs - 8
35lbs - 7
Notes: Had to work in with 2 people (other preacher bench was having it's pad replaced, :rolleyes:).

New workout seems nice, and I for some reason felt like I had a ton of more energy when leaving the gym. Although, the overhead pressing still may need to go to the other day. We'll see.

Outshine
01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Lower Body #1

Squats
150lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
170lbs - 6
180lbs - 5
Notes: 4th set was up 1 rep from last week. I think I could have gotten 6, but, just like I knew it would, my little lunge "incident" last week is all I can think about as soon as I have weight on me in that position. Grrr. This is going to take me some time to get out of my head I think.

Barbell Split Squats
75lbs - 10 (per leg)
85lbs - 10 (per leg)
95lbs - 8 (per leg)
Notes: Yeah, no more lunges here for a while. Did these light today to get used to form and the fact that whatever leg goes second is now already a bit fatigued. With lunges it was left, right, left, right. Now it's left, left, left, etc. right, right, right, etc. Gotta get used to that. But, I'm really liking these.

Seated Leg Curls
172.5lbs - 12
172.5lbs - 10
Notes: I think I may up the weight next week here.

Standing Calf Raises
155lbs - 8
155lbs - 8
175lbs - 8
175lbs - 8
Notes: Up a bit from last week, will be going up more next week.

Abs

Outshine
01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 35lbs - 8
BW + 35lbs - 7
BW + 35lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last week yet again. Something tells me that if I just added on some more weight (2.5 - 5lbs), I'd probably get the same reps with this new heavier weight. It's similar to my bench which is stuck at similar reps. I'm struggling to get these little 1 rep increases in each set, but I may be able to get the same reps with an extra 5lbs of weight. Will give it another shot next time as is. If I get the same reps, I'm just going to add weight the next time and see what happens.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 10
70's - 9
Notes: Wow, first time I ever did these after pullups. The weight felt light as hell, but keeping it stable was wayyy tougher after pullups which completely destroy my hands/wrists/forearms and grip in general. Still, these were crazy strong and form was a thing of beauty every single rep. Going to give 75's a shot next time... getting them up will be the only hard part.

Seated Cable Rows
120lbs - 10
120lbs - 10
Notes: Will be adding 5lbs next week.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 10
25's - 8

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 8-10?
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 6-8?
Notes: First set was up 5lbs, last 2 sets I forgot how many reps I ended up doing.

36lbs - 10
41lbs - 6

This new arrangement is interesting. The only possible change might be to switch the overhead press on the first upper day with the lateral raises from today. Upper days would end up being:

Upper #1:
Bench Press
Barbell Rows
Lateral Raises
Lat Pulldown
Biceps Stuff

Upper#2:
Pullups
Overhead Press
Cable Rows
Incline DB Press
Triceps Stuff

Right now I'm doing the above with overhead pressing and lateral raises on opposite days. Will give it another week or two to see if I like it any better, if not, I'll switch.

Outshine
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Lower Body #2

RDLs
190lbs - 6
200lbs - 6
210lbs - 6
220lbs - 5
Notes: All sets are up 5lbs from last week. Form was definitely better today, most of the time. First 2 sets were lovely, felt light as hell. Second 2 were a little bit more like it's been, but still slightly better. Overall, an improvement.

45+45+45+10+10 - 8
45+45+45+10 - 7
45+45+45+10 - 4
Notes: First 2 sets were up 1 rep from last week, 3rd set was actually down a rep (put everything I had into those first 2 sets). One of the 10's fell off at the end of the first set (after the 8th rep). Not sure what I'm supposed to do there, there is just not enough room for the weights to fit well.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+30 per side) - 12/12
45+30 (per side) - 12/12
45+30 (per side) - 12/12

Seated Calves
95lbs - 10
95lbs - 9
95lbs - 8
Notes:

Barbell Shrugs
195lbs - 10
205lbs - 8
225lbs - 4 (PR)
Notes: Up quite a bit from last week. I honestly thought I was going to look down at my hands after that 3rd set and see no skin. Hurt like hell, and my hands are still hurting now. I have like 4 calluses per hand.

Ab Stuff

bjohnso
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Nice RDLs, I haven't gotten the hang of those yet. Also, you've still got me beat on those pullups! I thought I might be able to hold my own last night, but I only got 5. I'll have to try them fresh sometime!

Outshine
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Nice RDLs, I haven't gotten the hang of those yet. Also, you've still got me beat on those pullups! I thought I might be able to hold my own last night, but I only got 5. I'll have to try them fresh sometime!

That's still pretty good, especially not fresh. Plus, I have less bodyweight to pull, so it's not really an even comparison. Although... I will gladly accept my status as the pullup champion of the planet. Bow down before me. :evillaugh:

bjohnso
01-24-2008, 06:52 PM
That's still pretty good, especially not fresh. Plus, I have less bodyweight to pull, so it's not really an even comparison. Although... I will gladly accept my status as the pullup champion of the planet. Bow down before me. :evillaugh:

I think Anthony is the pullup champion, he's done like 47 in a row (no joke) and maxed out with 160 some pounds hanging from his belt. It's scary. There was a guy posting on here for a while (ExtremistPullup) who was repping out 135 on wide grip pullups. Actually, he's probably the pullup champion.

Outshine
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I think Anthony is the pullup champion, he's done like 47 in a row (no joke) and maxed out with 160 some pounds hanging from his belt. It's scary. There was a guy posting on here for a while (ExtremistPullup) who was repping out 135 on wide grip pullups. Actually, he's probably the pullup champion.

Yeah, I've seen that guy's videos. It's nuts... he's doing like working sets in the 5-10 rep range with 100+ pounds. **** like that shouldn't even be allowed.

bjohnso
01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I've seen that guy's videos. It's nuts... he's doing like working sets in the 5-10 rep range with 100+ pounds. **** like that shouldn't even be allowed.

Who, Anthony?

Outshine
01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Who, Anthony?

Nah, that ExtremistPullup guy. They're on YouTube.

Outshine
01-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Upper Body #1

Bench Press
185lbs - 8
185lbs - 7
185lbs - 6
185lbs - 5
Notes: A small increase... about ****ing time. Those first 3 sets are up 1 rep from the last few weeks, 4th set was still the same. Next week I'm looking for 8, 7, 6, 6 and then adding 5lbs the next week.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
160lbs - 7
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 5
160lbs - 4
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week and should have been soooo much better. However, these completely sucked due to grip issues. Actually, that's not even accurate. My grip is fine, it's my hand size that sucks. My little girl hands hold me back on a bunch of stuff. I think I may have to start using straps here next week.

Seated Overhead Press
As mentioned last week, I didn't like overhead pressing on the same day as benching. I gave it another shot today and hated it. So, I'll be moving these to the other upper body day and moving lateral raises here in its place.

96lbs - 10
96lbs - 10
Notes: Up 12lbs from last week. Will up it again next time.

DB Flyes
35lbs - 12
40lbs - 10
Notes: 40x10 is up a rep from last week.

Barbell Curls
75lbs - 10
85lbs - 7
90lbs - 4
Notes: First 2 sets are up 5lbs from last week.

36lbs - 10
41lbs - 8
Notes: Decided to do a bi exercise and a tri exercise each upper day rather than 2 bi exercises one day, and 2 tri exercises the other. Reason being my tris were still a bit sore today from the previous upper day. Will see how it goes.

Outshine
01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Lower Body #1

Boy did that suck. I'm not 100% sure yet (maybe 75% at this point) but, I think I'm sick. Either really bad cold sick, or fever sick. Whichever it is, I feel like ass.

Nothing in this workout warrants mentioning other than the fact that I didn't stop midway through and just go home.

Blah.

Outshine
01-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Upper Body #2

As mentioned the other day, I have indeed been sick. Had 100-101 degree fever all day Monday (which sucked balls, by the way).

Tuesday the fever was gone and I just felt like I had a bad cold.

Today (Wednesday) I feel slightly better than I did yesterday, so I figured I'd give the gym a shot. It would have been fine if only for the fact that I'm currently in the phase of a cold when breathing is pretty crappy. And sweating... I had a sweat going just from locking my locker. Made for one annoying workout. Still though, I pretty much maintained everything.

I'm thinking I'll miss tomorrows workout and have 3 straight rest days, then get back to business on Sunday.

Other than that, a tip for anyone reading this... try not to get sick. It ****ing sucks.

bjohnso
01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry to hear, man. Get better soon. I got 4 chins with a 45 lb plate, thought I could get at least 5. Didn't happen though.

I'll try again on Sunday.

Outshine
01-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear, man. Get better soon. I got 4 chins with a 45 lb plate, thought I could get at least 5. Didn't happen though.

I'll try again on Sunday.

Thanks man. BW+45lbsx4 is quite good. What kind of grip were you using?

bjohnso
01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks man. BW+45lbsx4 is quite good. What kind of grip were you using?

Neutral Grip. The handles are slippery and it's limiting my pulling ability. I'll have to get one of those eco-ball thingys.

Outshine
02-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Upper Body #1

First day in the gym since Wednesday due to fever/bad cold. Outside of the gym I feel like I'm about 90% better. Inside the gym I feel about 80%. Still a little stuffy/runny nose going on, and I'm still a bit hotter/sweatier than normal. All things considered, this was still pretty good.

Bench Press
185lbs - 8
185lbs - 7
185lbs - 6
185lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last week, although last week I barely got the 5th rep in the last set (spotter was there, said they didn't do anything). This week I got the 5th and failed on the 6th. However, I'm still upping the weight next week to 190lbs. I'm doing 4x6-8 here, which means I shouldn't go up in weight until all sets are within 6-8 reps. However, one thing I'm learning is that my work capacity is pretty sucky, and on a good day I tend to lose a rep on each set. (This explains why 5x5 and anything like it sucks for me, I just can't maintain 5 reps for 5 sets with the same weight). So, I'm thinking of widening my rep range for my primary exercises (the stuff I do 4x6-8 with) to 4x5-8 instead. This way I'll add weight when I get 8, 7, 6, 5. This could be a pretty good thing to have finally figured out about myself/my body. I think it will lead to being able to add weight to the bar a lot more often.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
160lbs - 8
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 5
160lbs - 5
Notes: My tiny girl hands made these terrible last week, so I decided to use straps for the first time. It made holding the bar easy as hell, but just the awkwardness of it threw me off a bit. It will take some getting used to.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 10
25's - 10

108lbs - 10
108lbs - 8
Notes: That's up 12lbs from last week.

DB Flyes
35's - 12
40's - 10
Notes: May start with the 40's next time.

Barbell Curls
75lbs - 10
85lbs - 8
90lbs - 5
Notes: Last 2 sets are up 1 rep from last week.

41lbs - 10
48lbs - 7
Notes: First set is up 5lbs from last week, second set is up 7lbs.

Outshine
02-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Lower Body #1

I missed my "lower body #2" workout last week because I was sick. So, this gave me a good opportunity to do something I've thought about doing lately which is switch the lower body workout days with each other. So, lower body #1 is now #2, and #2 is now #1. It makes sense, trust me. :)

RDLs
190lbs - 6
200lbs - 6
210lbs - 6
220lbs - 6
Notes: These felt a bit better. I'll be upping each set 5lbs next week.

45+45+45+10+10 - 8
45+45+45+10 - 6
45+45+45+10 - 4
Notes: This was sucky. Still have the last stages of my cold lingering, and it was annoying me big time during these.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+35 (per side) - 12/12
45+35 (per side) - 12/12
45+35 (per side) - 12/12

Seated Calves
95lbs - 12
95lbs - 10
95lbs - 10
Notes: This is up from reps of 10, 9, 8 last week.

Barbell Shrugs
200lbs - 10
215lbs - 8
225lbs - 6 (PR)
Notes: Up again from last week. My hands have been so ****ed up lately and they were absolutely killing my after the first set here. So, I came up with an idea. Straps + gloves. It may look a bit gay, but boy did it help. Hands felt great, grip felt great.

Ab Stuff

Outshine
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Upper Body #2

This was not fun. I wake up at 5:30am to hit the gym, so I try to get to sleep by around 11ish the night before. Last night, I couldn't fall asleep. This happens to me a couple of times a year. 99% of the time I hit the bed and fall asleep within 15 minutes. That other 1% of the time, not so much.

The last time I remember looking up to see what time it was, it was about 4:30. So, yeah... I sleep less than an hour last night. Easily my worst night of sleeping that I can ever remember having. Workout was bound to suck because of it, and it did.

Pullups
BW + 37.5lbs - 7
BW + 37.5lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
BW + 35lbs - 4
Notes: Stupid day to try to go up in weight here. Just had no energy or focus or interest. Sucked balls.

Seated Overhead Press
115lbs - 7
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 5
115lbs - 5
Notes: Same as above. Too tired to even maintain what I did last week.

Seated Cable Rows
130lbs - 10
130lbs - 10
Notes: The one exception for the day, these were up 5lbs from last week and felt good. I'll be going to 135lbs next time.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - ?
70's - ?
Notes: I think I got like 8 reps in the second set, but wasted a ton of energy trying to get them up for th first rep. Normally I have very little problem until some slight extra effort on the last set. Today the second set felt harder than the 3rd set normally feels. I knew I had no chance of getting them up for the last set, so I didn't bother trying. Instead I did a set on the hammer strength incline press machine. I haven;t done these in months. They're fun. I think I'm going to switch to them for a while in place of the DB presses.

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 7
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 5
Notes: Dead by this point.

35lbs - 10
35lbs - 8

The combination of being sick all last week and having the world's worst sleep this week has really ****ed up my progress over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully things will get back to normal next week (or tomorrow would be nice, too).

Outshine
02-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Upper Body #1

Bench Press
190lbs - 7
190lbs - 6
190lbs - 5
190lbs - 5
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week. Felt good. Will be looking to add 1 rep to as many of these sets as I can next time.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
160lbs - ?
160lbs - 7
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
Notes: Tried that first set without straps just to see if it was a fluke last time. It wasn't. Due to my LGH (little girl hands), I just can't hold the bar. Looks like it straps from here on out. Last 3 sets, with straps, felt great.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 10
25's - 10

108lbs - 10
108lbs - 9
Notes: I'll be adding 5lbs next week.

DB Flyes
40's - 12
40's - 11
Notes: This is an increase from last week. Felt light as hell.

Barbell Curls
75lbs - 10
85lbs - 8
90lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last week.

41lbs - 10
48lbs - 8
Notes: Second set is up 1 rep from last week. I'm be upping the first set to 48lbs next week.

Had a ton of energy today... darn good workout.

bjohnso
02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
It looks like you're making some good gains on bench press.

Outshine
02-10-2008, 11:35 AM
It looks like you're making some good gains on bench press.

Thanks. It was kind of stalled for a while, but now I feel like it's starting to get somewhere.

Outshine
02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Lower Body #1

RDLs
195lbs - 6
205lbs - 6
215lbs - 6
225lbs - 5
Notes: Each set is up 5lbs from last week.

45+45+45+10+10 - 8
45+45+45+10 - 7
45+45+45 - 4
Notes: I fatigue on these really quickly lately. Was dead on that last set. I think it has something to do with my RDLs increasing a bit over the last few weeks.

Single-Leg Leg press

Seated Calves
95lbs - 12
95lbs - 12
95lbs - 11
Notes: This is up from reps of 12, 10, 10 last week. I'll be adding 5lbs next week.

Barbell Shrugs
155lbs - 12
205lbs - 10
225lbs - 6
225lbs - 6
Notes: Up again from last week. Probably could have gotten another 1-2 reps in the second set, but stopped for some reason I can't remember now.

Ab Stuff

Another good one. Energy has been pretty good these last 2 days.

Outshine
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 37.5lbs - 8
BW + 37.5lbs - 6
BW + 37.5lbs - 5
BW + 37.5lbs - 5
Notes: Last 2 sets are up 2.5lbs from last week, first set is up 1 rep. I changed my grip today, from a bit wider than shoulder width to just shoulder width. Not too shabby.

Seated Overhead Press
115lbs - 8
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 6
Notes: This is up from reps of 7, 6, 5, 5 last week. I'm going back up to 120lbs next time.

Seated Cable Rows
135lbs - 10
135lbs - 7
Notes: These were up 5lbs from last week.

Hammer Strength Incline Press
45+35 (per side) - 10
45+35+5 (per side) - 9
45+45 (per side) - 6
Notes: I was playing around with the seat height from set to set because I didn't feel positioned right. I think I got it now.

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 8
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 6
Notes: Second and third sets are both up 1 rep from last week.

35lbs - 10
40lbs - 5
Notes: First set felt very light for some reason, so I figured I'd give the 40 a shot. That's preacher curl a PR.

Pretty good day, everything seems to be increasing lately.

Outshine
02-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Lower Body #2

Squats
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
155lbs - 6
Notes: Squats have been crappy the last 3-4 weeks. Form felt off in some way, weight felt heavy... just not so good all around. This is what usually happens to me. I finally correct whatever sucks about my squat (I'm also learning I have weird hip imbalances), make some good progress, and then get to a point where I feel like to I need to go back down in weight and start all over again. Today though, the first 2 sets felt like this. The second 2 were a thing a beauty. I just wanted to do more sets, it was awesome. I paid very close attention to what I was and was not doing on those sets. If I can recreate that consistently, good things will happen for me in squat-land. :)

Barbell Split Squats
100lbs - 8 (per leg)
100lbs - 8 (per leg)
100lbs - 9 (per leg)
Notes: Still getting used to the switch from lunges to these. So far so good.

Seated Leg Curls
180lbs - 12
180lbs - 10
Notes: Up about 8lbs from last week.

Standing Calf Raises
175lbs - 8
175lbs - 8
195lbs - 7
195lbs - 7
Notes: Up from last week.

Abs
3x20 of weighted crunches with a 65lb dumbbell on my chest, and 3x12 of hanging leg raises.[/QUOTE]

Outshine
02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Upper Body #1

Bench Press
190lbs - 7
190lbs - 6
190lbs - 5
190lbs - 5
Notes: Ended up with exactly the same reps as last week. Only difference is last week these were much smoother. Stability was a little off today for some reason. I wonder if it has anything to do with switching from incline db presses to the incline hammer machine on the other upper day. Less stabilizers being worked after that switch.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
160lbs - 8
160lbs - 8
160lbs - 7
160lbs - 6
Notes: I beat the **** out of these today. Will be adding 5lbs next time.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 11
25's - 10

113lbs - 10
113lbs - 10
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week, and will be adding 5lbs again next week.

DB Flyes
40's - 12
40's - 10

Barbell Curls
75lbs - 10
85lbs - 8
95lbs - 3 (PR, ha!)
Notes: Decided to throw 25's on the bar for the first time just to see what happens. Not too bad, I think I'll stay with it and go for 4-5 next time.

48lbs - 10
48lbs - 8
Notes: First set is up 7lbs from last time. I'll up the second set 5lbs next week.

Im14SoWut
02-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Doin good man. I think I need to incorporate ur routine into my schedule, it soundz like it beats mine.

Outshine
02-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Doin good man. I think I need to incorporate ur routine into my schedule, it soundz like it beats mine.

Thanks man. Go for it, I've been liking it thus far.

Outshine
02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Lower Body #1

I would say that somewhere between 10-25% of the year, my gym is about 50 times hotter than it should ever be. Today was one of those days. It's winter and they have heat on, I get it (although no matter what season I have no interest in heat in the gym, but that's just me). However, today it is unseasonably hot (it's 60+ degrees) and the heat was on as if it was still 30 degrees. Idiots. Makes lifting borderline torture.

RDLs
195lbs - 6
205lbs - 6
215lbs - 6
225lbs - 6
Notes: Only got 5 in that 4th set last time. I will most likely add 5lbs to each set next time.

45+45+45+10+10 - 8
45+45+45+10 - 7
45+45+45+10 - 5

Single-Leg Leg press
45+45 (per side) - 12/12
45+45 (per side) - 12/12
45+45 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week and definitely harder than ever. I'm sure being damn near dead from the temp. had something to do with that. Will add weight again next time.

Seated Calves
100lbs - 11
100lbs - 10
100lbs - 9

Barbell Shrugs
155lbs - 12
205lbs - 10
225lbs - 8
225lbs - 6
Notes: Up a little in reps from last week. Will add 5lbs to that last set next time.

Ab Stuff

Outshine
02-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 37.5lbs - 8
BW + 37.5lbs - 7
BW + 37.5lbs - 6
BW + 37.5lbs - 5
Notes: This is up from reps of 8, 6, 5, 5 last time. Pullups are weird. Sometimes I get into a phase where I'm sick/bored of them and I think "Should I replace these with lat pull downs or something?" Other times there is nothing more I like doing than pullups and I feel like I can add reps/weight every workout. I think the switch just clicked that changes me from the first phase to this second one. Don't know what it is exactly, but I'll take it. :)

Seated Overhead Press
120lbs - 6
120lbs - 5
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 5
Notes: The first 2 sets are up 5lbs from last week. This sucked balls today. My gym has 2 places to do these, and I only ever use one of them because the other one is located is the dumbbest spot in the gym. Literally 1 foot away from a mirror (so that the mirror is directly in front of you) and 1 foot to the left of the entrance to the free weight area (so that every time a person walks in or out you get distracted as hell since you can see everything happening in the mirror just inches from your face). Today of course there was a crew of high school aged kids (no school this week) using the one I normally use, so I was forced to use this ****ty one. It sucked.

Seated Cable Rows
135lbs - 10
135lbs - 9-10?
Notes: Forgot if I got 9 or 10 in that second set. Either way, it's up from 7 last week. I'll be going up to 140lbs next time.

Incline DB Press
70's - 9
70's - 7
65's - 9
Notes: So last week I switched from db presses to the incline hammer strength machine. It seemed like such a huge decrease in effort/work, which is the opposite of what you want when you're goal is hypertrophy. I did one set of them today and went right back to DB pressing.

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 8
EZ Bar + 50lbs - 6
Notes: Same as last time.

35lbs - 10
40lbs - 5
Notes: Same as last time.

Fantastic day for pulling, pushing could have been better.

Outshine
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Lower Body #2

Squats
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
160lbs - 6
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week. I'll be adding 5lbs again next time. These seem to get better as I go, as in the forth set feels a bit better than the first. Wonder if that means I should warmup better?

Barbell Split Squats
105lbs - 8 (per leg)
105lbs - 8 (per leg)
105lbs - 8 (per leg)
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week.

Seated Leg Curls
180lbs - 11-12
180lbs - 8
Notes: Blah... these sucked today.

Standing Calf Raises
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
Notes: Boy did that last set hurt. Will be upping the weight next week.

Abs

Outshine
02-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Upper Body #1

Bench Press
190lbs - 7
190lbs - 6
190lbs - 6
190lbs - 4
Notes: Well, there was a 1 rep increase and 1 one rep decrease. The 3rd set was up a rep from last week, but then the 4th set was a down a rep. I'm not sure if that should be considered progression, regression, or just breaking even and getting virtually the same thing I got last week. Either way, I'm going to beat the **** of out these next week.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
165lbs - 7
165lbs - 6
165lbs - 6
165lbs - 5
Notes: This is up 5lbs from last week and felt really good. This may be a PR, or at least ties one. Actually, if it ties a PR is was when I was pyramiding the weight (145lbs 10 reps, 155lbs 8 reps, 165lbs 6 reps). So, working with 165lbs for 4 sets most likely beats that.

Lateral Raises
20's - 12
25's - 11
25's - 10

120lbs - 10
120lbs - 9
Notes: Up 7lbs from last week, and will be adding 5lbs again next week.

DB Flyes
40's - 12
40's - 11

Barbell Curls
75lbs - 10
85lbs - 8
95lbs - 4
Notes: 3rd set was up 1 rep from last week.

48lbs - 10
53lbs - 5 (PR)
Notes: Second set is up 5lbs from last week. Another arm PR, lol.

Outshine
02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Lower Body #1

RDLs
200lbs - 6
210lbs - 6
220lbs - 6
230lbs - 4 (PR!)
Notes: Went up 5lbs on each set today. 230lbs is a PR for these. Looking to get 5 or 6 there next time.

45+45+45+10+10 - 8
45+45+45+10 - 6
Single leg set...
Notes: These have sucked lately. I don't know if my rapidly increasing RDL's are causing this, but either way, these sucked. I played around with a single leg set at the end... felt awkward as hell. Not sure what to do here next time.

Single-Leg Leg press
45+45+5 (per side) - 12/12
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week. These are getting tougher, especially since it is back to back 12 rep sets... feels like cardio. Will add 5lbs next time.

Seated Calves
100lbs - 12
100lbs - 11
100lbs - 9
Notes: First 2 sets are up 1 rep from last time.

Barbell Shrugs
155lbs - 12
205lbs - 10
225lbs - 8
235lbs - 5 (PR)
Notes: Hey... a shrug PR. Nice.

Ab Stuff

Outshine
02-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 40lbs - 8
BW + 40lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
Notes: First 2 sets are up 2.5lbs from last week.

Seated Overhead Press
120lbs - 7
120lbs - 5
115lbs - 6
115lbs - 5
Notes: First set is up 1 rep from last time, everything else is the same. Grrr.

Seated Cable Rows
140lbs - 10
140lbs - 8
Notes: Both sets are up 5lbs from last week.

Incline DB Press
70's - 10
70's - 8
70's - 6
Notes: First 2 sets are up 1 rep from last week. 3rd set is up from 65's for 9 reps. Less reps, more weight. I'll take it.

Skull Crushers
EZ Bar + 40lbs - 10
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 7
EZ Bar + 45lbs - 6
Notes: I went down in weight here due to my tris being all... uh... tried out from the incline pressing. Still felt real good though.

DB Curls
35's - 10
40's - 6
Notes: Switched to these from preacher curls. No special reason other than I just felt like it.

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Upper Body #2

Pullups
BW + 40lbs - 8
BW + 40lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 6
BW + 35lbs - 5
Notes: First 2 sets are up 2.5lbs from last week.

Bastard...

I'm trimming 30lbs of fat off my gut, so I can add 30lbs to my dip belt. That's pretty impressive, Outshine.

Outshine
02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Bastard...

I'm trimming 30lbs of fat off my gut, so I can add 30lbs to my dip belt. That's pretty impressive, Outshine.

lol, thanks man. See, one of the often overlooked pros of weighing in the mid 160's... the weight I don't have on my body... I get to throw it on the belt and look like a pullup badass.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to your pullup weight as you lose fat. Like what the ratio ends up being of pounds of fat lost to pounds added to your pullups.

Outshine
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Lower Body #2

Squats
165lbs - 6
165lbs - 6
165lbs - 5
165lbs - 4
Notes: Up 5lbs from last week. Left hip felt a little wacky.

Barbell Split Squats
95lbs - 10 (per leg)
95lbs - 10 (per leg)
95lbs - 10 (per leg)
(105lbs - 5, extra set, just for added fun)
Notes: This is purposely down 10lbs from the week before, but up in reps. I got 105 for 3x8 last time. I wanted to switch this to 3x8-10 to give myself a rep range instead of an exact rep number. I'll add 5lbs next week and probably be back to 105 the week after that... and so on.

Seated Leg Curls
180lbs - 12
180lbs - 8
Notes:

Standing Calf Raises
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
195lbs - 8
Notes: I'll increase the weight next week.

Abs
3x20 of weighted crunches with a 65lb dumbbell on my chest, and 2-3x12 of hanging leg raises.

bjohnso
02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
lol, thanks man. See, one of the often overlooked pros of weighing in the mid 160's... the weight I don't have on my body... I get to throw it on the belt and look like a pullup badass.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to your pullup weight as you lose fat. Like what the ratio ends up being of pounds of fat lost to pounds added to your pullups.

Yep. I've gotten 6 with 50lbs before, when I weighed about 170 or so. I can't remember how strict my form was though (it was a while ago).

Somehow I doubt it will be a simple -1 pound off the gut, +1 pound to the belt. I'm anticipating losing a fair bit of strength.

Outshine
03-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Yep. I've gotten 6 with 50lbs before, when I weighed about 170 or so. I can't remember how strict my form was though (it was a while ago).

50lbsx6 at 170 has me beat... for now. :evillaugh:

Outshine
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Alright, no log today. Went to the gym, did my workout, felt weak and tired and in need of a mental/physical break.

So, I'm taking a week off. It's the first time I've done this in like a year. I feel like I need it, so I'm taking it.

The only problem is, as much as I know this is a good decision, it ****ing sucks. I haven't even missed the first workout yet and I'm already bothered by the fact that I'm going to be missing workouts. This is going to annoy me until the second I'm back in the gym.

On the bright side, after a week of feeling like this, I should be ready to lift like a mother****er.

bjohnso
03-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Good choice. I haven't done any upper body in 3-4 weeks, and I'm going crazy. We'll both be ready to smash some ****ing weights when we get back to it.

Outshine
03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Good choice. I haven't done any upper body in 3-4 weeks, and I'm going crazy. We'll both be ready to smash some ****ing weights when we get back to it.

**** yeah. That's a good way of explaining why I feel like I need to take a week off too, my desire to smash some ****ing weights just hasn't been as consistent as it should be lately.

When will you be back to hitting upper body again?