PDA

View Full Version : The Protein Book

TopCat
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Received it in the mail a couple days ago! Needless to say, because of stuff going on I've had some time to read through quite a bit of it. So let me share some information about it because regarding nutrition... this is an amazing book! :bow:

First off about The Protein Book (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/), by Lyle McDonald:
This time it is a real book, not a small spiral bound read like his other books. The book from cover to cover is 233 pages with the actual read going to 190 (Last bit is references appendices and an index). In the book Lyle covers honestly everything there is to think about protein. Even better is that he always discusses both sides of controversies and, as you might imagine with 22 pages of references, presents a ton of research!

For those interested, here is the table of contents (Don't let the chapter names fool you though! They may seem simple but he really picks apart the subjects):

Introduction
Chapter 1: Definitions and Basic Background
Chapter 2: Protein Digestion and Absorption
Chapter 3: Basic Protein Metabolism
Chapter 4: Protein Requirements
Chapter 5: Protein Quality
Chapter 6: Amino Acid Requirements
Chapter 7: Meal Frequency
Chapter 8: Nutrient Timing Around Workouts
Chapter 9: Protein Controversies
Chapter 10: Whole Food Proteins
Chapter 11: Protein Powders
Chapter 12: Supplements
Chapter 13: Putting it All Together

Two Notes:
*Only warning I have is for the very young crowd or people that do not like scientific reads this might not be a book for you. I'm hoping someone else can chime in with their opinion though.
*So far from the book I understand why there are so many debates/controversies. Much of the research has not targeted athletes it seems and it is very difficult to extrapolate data for non-athletes to athletes or even from sport to sport due to requirements and ultimately goals.

P.S. I know there is another thread but I feel for discussion purposes it would best not to dig up the old one (was kind of derailed).

Slim Schaedle
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I might buy an extra copy and secretly put it on my professor's desk.

Hell, I might need quite a few then.

RhodeHouse
12-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Ha ha ha, Don't worry. I'm not gonna say anything about this, eventhough I should.