PDA

View Full Version : Could I have asthma?

Invain
12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
I've never thought about it much, but lately I've wondered if I could have some mild asthma. It would make some sense looking back to when I was younger.

I was curious because: A couple weekends ago when I was home I took my dog out for a walk. After a few minutes I decided to jog some, pup never gets exercise anyways. I probably ran for 3 or 4 minutes, if that, and by the time I got back to my house I could barely breath. I wasn't necessarily exhausted, I was actually short of breathe, like something was preventing me from breathing at 100% capacity.

I've had this problem for a while but didn't think much of it. I can walk up barely 2 flights of stairs and me winded. If I have to quickly jog somewhere, such as to class because I'm late, after a couple minutes I feel like dying. I know I'm definitely not in perfect shape when it comes to endurance, I never have, but I definitely shouldn't be out of breathe after like 60 seconds.

When I ran track in highscool I had the the fastest 200m time, but I literally got beat by overweight shot-putters in the 2 mile run. Endurance was part of it, my body just can't run that great of a distance, but I also remember having trouble breathing while running. I could compare it to trying to go for a job with a pretty bad cold/stuffed up nose.

I'm thinking about seeing a doc over christmas break about the possibility of asthma. Anybody here have asthma that could share some input? Does it sound like a possibility or am I that friggen out of shape?

WORLD
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
You just described what I feel like all the friggen time. I have asthma; I get reactions to exercise, animals and change in temperature. You should get it checked out. I wouldnt say that its a good idea to start being dependant on inhalers if you really dont have to be. But, if you really cant deal with it, go ahead.
I went to a Naturapath once and tried finding solutions for my asthma through natural methods, but it involved cutting all dairy and even wheat from my diet. But everything you described I can relate to, and I consider myself to have mild asthma. Some people with more severe cases go into hospitals regularily for it.

deeder
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Maybe you're just in bad shape??

Asthma is terrible. I had very severe childhood asthma. Go get a straw and try to breathe through that and you'll have a bit of an idea of what an asthma attack feels like.

WORLD
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe you're just in bad shape??

Asthma is terrible. I had very severe childhood asthma. Go get a straw and try to breathe through that and you'll have a bit of an idea of what an asthma attack feels like.

That's actually a pretty good way to describe it.

Invain
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
That's what I feel like after running. Not quite that bad I guess, maybe like a big straw from Burger King, lol. I make wheezy noises too.

deeder
12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
That's what I feel like after running. Not quite that bad I guess, maybe like a big straw from Burger King, lol. I make wheezy noises too.

How often do you run?

Invain
12-13-2007, 09:44 PM
How often do you run?

Guess :hide:

deeder
12-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Guess :hide:

lol my point exactly... My girlfriend has been on asthma meds since she was little... I've never seen her have an asthma attack but she'll take her puffer if she gets out of breath running up the stairs. Guess how often she runs :cool:

Anyway... what i'm getting at is that you,re probably in worse shape than you are used to so it's messing you up... If you're worried about it start doing some cardio
;)

Invain
12-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah, that's actually what I think it is, in all honesty, but I'd still like to get checked out. I know I'm most likely in terrible shape, but I still don't think I should actually have trouble breathing. It's not like I'm 400 lbs.