PDA

View Full Version : Bulk/Cut Macro questions

Whoshot
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Alright, I am a little confused on a few things and was wondering if you guys would mind helping me out.

If I was bulking, eating 2500 calories a day, how many cals/grams should come from carbs, and also how many cals/grams should come from good fats?

If I was cutting, eating 2500 calories a day, ......................

Thanks for any help.:thumbup:

deeder
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
.5 grams of fat per pound of lbm
1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lbm

Fill in the rest with carbs.

mc wb
12-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Alright, I am a little confused on a few things and was wondering if you guys would mind helping me out.

If I was bulking, eating 2500 calories a day, how many cals/grams should come from carbs, and also how many cals/grams should come from good fats?

If I was cutting, eating 2500 calories a day, ......................

Thanks for any help.:thumbup:

Typically, cutting ratios are anywhere from 40 protein/30carbs/30fat.

For bulking, while i've seen 30/40/30 have great results, lots of folks go 30/50/20 (http://www.bodybuilderschoice.com/Easy-to-follow-nutrient-ratios-a-one-minute-lesson-a-388-.html) while some claim 55carb/30protein/15fat is "ideal (http://www.ironmagazine.com/article126.html)" for bulking. I'm not crazy about this latter article as it insists that fats should always be below 20%. Why? Doing fat is not about bulking: indeed if you're cutting and you cut fat, you're screwing with your system needlessly. We need fat to help burn fat. Take a look at research on fish oil and cla. Or take a look at the anabolic diet (that's extreme as it more or less eliminates carbs, but anyway, fat's important).

THere's no research i'm aware of that says a ratio of over 55% on carbs is a good idea for athletes. likewise, going below 15% fat at any time is not even judged either safe or useful. The NSCA recommends 50carbs 30%protein 20%fat for athletes as a regular diet.

To get the desired effect calorie intake can go up/down, but not change the ratios.

Hope that helps
best
mc

samadhi_smiles
12-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I would worry first about getting your protein and fats in and then fill in with some carbs.

Built says while cutting to up the fats so your apetite is not so disturbing (will curb hunger pangs).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Built says while cutting to up the fats so your apetite is not so disturbing (will curb hunger pangs).Keep the protein high as well. Eating high protein will spare your muscle on a cut. Protein is also more thermogenic (burns more calories to digest) than either protein or carbs, so that is also a plus.