PDA

View Full Version : (Insert catchy title here)

MotoForester
12-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Howdy howdy.

I figured I would start a journal to track my personal progress and maintain a little accountability with my diet and gym habits.

About me in general

I'm a 21 year old college student studying forestry. Hobbies/interests include motocross, I love just about any outdoor activity, hiking, climbing, mountaineering, and the such. I stand at 6 feet 3 1/2 inches and last time I got on the scale I weighed 195lbs. That was with boots on and fully clothed. I'm guessing I weigh around 185. I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Weightlifting experience

I was a wrestler for 6 years from junior high into high school. My senior year I blew my shoulder up and had a reconstruction surgery and several months of very unfun physical therapy. I haven't lifted weights or exercised consistantly since then. At my peak physical condition I was about 6'2 and 175lbs. Long and lean build. I've spent the past year and a half working at a commercial printing factory which has been my main excuse for not getting in the gym. Working 12 hour shifts plus having a full class load really left me time for absolutely nothing. My diet and sleep was atrocious, as the majority of the time I was on the graveyard shift.

I've since been able to quit that job and I work for the US Forest Service now. Basically they're paying me a stipend to finish up school and I'll go to work for them when I have my degree. It's much nicer this way. Our tax dollars hard at work right here.

Goals

It's really ironic to be putting a journal on WBB since at this point in my life I don't have much desire to be a massive person. My main focus is overall physical fitness and health and ridding myself of unhealthy habits. My first plan is a bulk because I would like to gain some size. I'm shooting to gain as much healthy lean weight as possible. Not sure of a magic number, but I'm thinking in the 210-220lb range in a slow bulk. I think once my diet improves it'll come on a lot quicker than I think. My workout regime will be a mix of cardio, weight training, and stretching to improve flexibility.

I plan on hitting it hard from now until the end of the spring semester. I'm going to be working this next summer in northern Idaho and will be doing a lot of ground work in steep terrain with the good possibility of spending some time fighting wildfires. I'd like to do some hiking while I'm there too, and I don't want to be huffing and puffing so hard that it's not enjoyable.

So that's the real goal, overall fitness. I'm on a new medicine to help me quit smoking and it's working. I've been a pack a day smoker for the past 4 years and am only smoking about 5 cigarettes a day now. The real quit starts in a day or two.

That's about the jist of it.

MotoForester
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Here is how my workout went this past week. Didn't do much stretching except pre work out to loose up some. Before each lifting session I jogged a quarter mile to get the blood going some. The big picture this week is just to slowly get back into it without hurting myself or being so sore I can't move.

Monday - Chest and Back

Incline DB Press - 40lb - 3 x 8
Flat DB Flyes - 25lb- 3 x 8
Lat pulls - 115lbs - 3 x 8
Seated machine row - 70lbs - 3 x 8

Tuesday - Cardio

Run 1 mile

Wednesday - Shoulders, bi's, tri's

Seated DB Press - 30lbs - 3 x 8
DB Lateral Raises - 15lbs - 3 x 8
BB Curls - 45lbs - 3 x 8
Single DB skull crusher - 35lb - 3 x 8

Thursday - Cardio

Run 1 mile

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Legs and abs

Squat - 135lbs - 3 x 8
Leg Curl - 35lbs - 3 x 8
Calf Raises - Hell if I know, I just stuck two 45s on the machine - 3 x 8
Decline Bench Crunches - 3 x 15

Sunday - Rest

Overall it felt like a decent week. I really need to work on limbering up my legs. I have really tight hamstrings and the time I spent working in the plant standing on cement floors for 70 hours a week didn't help them. That's the main hold back on my squat. If I go heavy at all my groin ends up so sore moving is torture for me. Just gonna gradually work on them. Leg presses give the same result. Maybe my groin muscles are just really weak? I have no idea.

Going grocery shopping tonight for some good foods and picking up some protein mix tomorrow morning.

MotoForester
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Had a somewhat decent workout yesterday. In a couple weeks I'm going to start picking up the volume. Most likely try WBB 1, I like the way it looks.

Incline DB Presses - 45lbs - 3 x 8
DB Flyes - 27.5lbs - 3 x 8

Lat Pulls - 115lbs - 3 x 8
Seated Machine Rows - 70lbs - 3x8

Pre workout weight - 189lbs.

Diet is decent, could use a little improvement, but I'm satisfied.

Going for a 1.5 mile run today.

JUrb15
12-18-2007, 10:58 AM
looks good man keep it up. I like the intro and the whole idea with just getting into decent shape sounds like your headed in the right direction. Keep posting on here it'll keep ya motivated when you see people making quality comments about your workouts :-D

Nice Job on the down to 5 cigs a day too man!!! Keep it going.

MotoForester
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Tuesday

Run went terrible. Started at way too fast of a pace, back started to feel tight, made it about 3/4 of a mile and called it quit.

Luckily that night my girlfriend wanted to go for a walk with her and her dog, we ended up walking 6 miles, so I feel that equaled things out a bit.

Wednesday

Missed my workout. Spent all day working on paper work for the forest service and getting stuff together to get my passport. I'm spending a couple weeks working in Costa Rica in March. Getting paid to go on vacation is sweet.

Thursday

Combined yesterday's workout with today's run. Diet has blown the past couple days. Bad.

Weight - 188lbs

Seated DB Press - 35lbs - 2 x 8, 1 x 6. Don't know why I tired out so soon.
DB Lateral Raises - 17.5lbs - 3 x 8
DB Shrugs - 50lbs - 1 x 8
55lbs - 2 x 8

BB Curl - 55lbs - 3 x 8
Tri Pressdown, v - handle - 1 x 8 - 60lbs
2 x 8 - 70lbs

Feeling good about my lifts. After that I ran a 1.5 miles, felt pretty good.

Overall having trouble motivating myself with doing anything productive. I think it's because I don't get up early enough. I have a hard time getting up in the morning when I don't have class or work. Just need to work on my water intake and getting some food in me.

MotoForester
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
JUrb15 - Thanks buddy. I think my overall goal is to have awesome 'weekend warrior' conditioning. There's nothing much that I love more than having fun outside and trying new hobbies. When I'm finished with school and put into a permanent position, I'd love to do something like be on a volunteer wildland search and rescue team.

Friday

Had an excellent workout. I feel like I'm starting to fall back into a stride with lifting. I corrected my form on squats and there isn't any stretching or discomfort in my groin. I'm very pleased. I spent today playing around with some different weights getting a feel for what I can do comfortably. I think I'll stick with 165 for reps next go round.

Squats
1 x 6 - 135lbs
1 x 6 - 145lbs
1 x 6 - 155lbs
1 x 6 - 165lbs

Lying Leg Curl

3 x 8 - 40lbs

Standing Calf Raise

3 x 8 - Machine + 135lbs

Crunches

3 x 20

Sadly, this will be the last time to hit the weights until at least the 2nd of January. The gym at my University closes down for the holidays. I'm leaving tonight to spend about week at my parents. When I come back I should be working on a job in a town about an hour north of me when I get back. I think I should be able to make it back in town to get my lifts in.

The plan is to stick with the current routine until the end of the first week of January, then I'm swapping over to WBB #1.

While I'm at home, to keep some sort of shape I'm going to continue running, weather permitting, and just do some pushups and crunches. Not much else I can do.