PDA

View Full Version : book suggestions

Gonzo
12-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I am looking for new book to read. I figured i would look for one that is related to my health in some way. So if anyone has any recomendations on a book related to either; Diet/nutrition, weight lifting, or general health I would apreciate it.

thanks

andrewnp
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
i was just about to post asking for a book to read in general about diet/nutrition

for weightlifting i would recommend a book i am currently picking at:
Mark Rippetoe/Lon Kilgore's Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training

teaches you proper form on the most used compound lifts and accessory exercises. there is also "practical programming" and another, from another author called something to the effect of "the basics of lifting" ?

brihead301
12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Starting Strength +1 and of course - The new rules of lifting by Lou Schiller and Alwyn Cosgrove. Both books are equally as good in their own ways. A weightlifter's library is incomplete without both of those books in it.

I haven't read Practical Programming yet, but I surely will because I've heard so many good things about it.

As for a dieting book, Here's all you need to know:

Eat more and you'll gain weight, eat less and you'll lose weight. Eat healthy and you'll be healthier.

andrewnp
12-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Starting Strength +1 and of course - The new rules of lifting by Lou Schiller and Alwyn Cosgrove. Both books are equally as good in their own ways. A weightlifter's library is incomplete without both of those books in it.

I haven't read Practical Programming yet, but I surely will because I've heard so many good things about it.

As for a dieting book, Here's all you need to know:

Eat more and you'll gain weight, eat less and you'll lose weight. Eat healthy and you'll be healthier.

thats an easy way to apoprach it, looking for a general good read of best things to eat, carb cycling,pre/during/post workout nutrition different angles of approaching eating. but the basic "eat and gain" is workin.

Joe Black
12-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Nutrient timing (http://www.amazon.com/Nutrient-Timing-Future-Sports-Nutrition/dp/1591201411) and Scrawny To Brawny (http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/) were good reads!

RedSpikeyThing
12-17-2007, 02:33 PM
I can vouch for "Scrawny to Brawny" as well.

VikingWarlord
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I've got Nutrient Timing and New Rules Of Lifting. Both are great books.

dscarth
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I broke down and bought the 2nd edition of starting strength, like an hour ago.