PDA

View Full Version : 2 cheat meals a week?

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Is it ok to cheat twice a week? Lately I've been cheating on Friday night with my buddies, and Saturday night with my girlfriend. Each of these meals are just random restaurant meals with a house salad and water. Some are worse then others, but none of them I would consider "clean". Usually a chicken or a steak dish...But not a total binge, just a meal out.

Can I stay lean/cut using two back to back cheat meals over the weekend? Friday is a training day, and a Saturday is an off day. I use to only cheat Friday night, but I started to cheat Saturday as well. Friday is a higher carb day, and Saturday is a lower carb day usually. I haven't noticed any differences in my BF levels, but it's only been 2 weeks I've done it for. I'm wondering if I can keep doing this, and stay fine.

Does anyone else have two cheat meals a week, and are you staying lean? I'm not really bulking right now, more so a slow cut. At about 8% bf right now at 190lbs, and would like to atleast maintain/cut a little more.

arnoldsclone
12-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Is it ok to cheat twice a week? Lately I've been cheating on Friday night with my buddies, and Saturday night with my girlfriend. Each of these meals are just random restaurant meals with a house salad and water. Some are worse then others, but none of them I would consider "clean". Usually a chicken or a steak dish...But not a total binge, just a meal out.

Can I stay lean/cut using two back to back cheat meals over the weekend? Friday is a training day, and a Saturday is an off day. I use to only cheat Friday night, but I started to cheat Saturday as well. Friday is a higher carb day, and Saturday is a lower carb day usually. I haven't noticed any differences in my BF levels, but it's only been 2 weeks I've done it for. I'm wondering if I can keep doing this, and stay fine.

Does anyone else have two cheat meals a week, and are you staying lean? I'm not really bulking right now, more so a slow cut. At about 8% bf right now at 190lbs, and would like to atleast maintain/cut a little more.

just have an entire cheat DAY, I make it sunday since football is sunday.....

Notorious
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
It seems fine to me. Chicken and steak are by no means "dirty" in my book.

If you really don't want to cheat, why not just eat less throughout the day before these meals? Do you count calories?

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 06:26 PM
It seems fine to me. Chicken and steak are by no means "dirty" in my book.

If you really don't want to cheat, why not just eat less throughout the day before these meals? Do you count calories?

I dont actually count calories, just carbs...but my weekly diet is perfectly clean and EXACTLY the same every day. I usually do about 3300 on workout days, and 2700 on off days...With carbs making up the difference in calories on those days. I know chicken/steak aren't dirty, but at a restaurant they aren't prepared clean and I usually have them with bad fats, and lots of junky carbs.

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
just have an entire cheat DAY, I make it sunday since football is sunday.....

The cheat day doesn't negatively effect you? I figured 2 seperate isolated cheats, we're better then a full day binge...Most of my cheats are more social then anything, as I could probably go a few months without cheating...Seems weird, but that's just the way I am.

RedSpikeyThing
12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
What the hell are you eating that chicken and steak aren't considered clean?

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
What the hell are you eating that chicken and steak aren't considered clean?

I'm just saying those are the meats, usually with 2 horrible sides made with butter, etc. A chicken breast or steak you eat out is no where near clean, lots of oil/butter/etc. Usually with some bad sides...

brihead301
12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I think you'll still live with 2 cheat meals a week.

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I think you'll still live with 2 cheat meals a week.

Difference between living, and being shredded.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I still think you can get "shredded" with 2 cheat meals a week. You can still get shredded with 10 cheat meals a week. It's much easier then most people make it out to be.

beachmuscles
12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I still think you can get "shredded" with 2 cheat meals a week. You can still get shredded with 10 cheat meals a week. It's much easier then most people make it out to be.

For the next month, I'm going to cheat 2 meals a week. Both weekend nights to see what happens.

What do you mean by its easier then people think? I don't think I could have 1 bad meal out every day (7 cheat meals) and look the way I do now.

Chubrock
12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
For the next month, I'm going to cheat 2 meals a week. Both weekend nights to see what happens.

What do you mean by its easier then people think? I don't think I could have 1 bad meal out every day (7 cheat meals) and look the way I do now.

I know several guys that eat cookies, brownies or pancakes before they train and still stay at a low level of body fat. It's not that difficult to reach a lower level of bf even while eating "unclean" foods. Will you be stage ready, no, but we're not really talking about that.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 08:54 PM

If you say so. I'd be all fat and out of shape if I didn't lift my ass off. That goes to show you what type of body type I have - one that puts fat on easily (endo???). I eat like 4000 calories a day now in a bulk, and I have maybe 14% bodyfat. I drink my ass off on the weekends. I eat pizza and fried foods when I feel like it. If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I have a candy bar. I don't go nuts on the junk food, but I don't avoid it purposely because I think it's going to mess my body up. I'm eating on a bulk right now, and I only have 14% bodyfat, around 200 lbs. If I were to drop my calories to maybe 2500 or 3000, and still eat the same way I do now, just smaller main meals, I think it would be safe to say that I'd be pretty shredded.

That's what I mean by it being easier then people think. Just work hard in the gym. Try to eat right, and don't worry about eating junk sometimes.

I dunno, that's just me though. Do what you gotta do to get shredded. I just don't think it's that hard.

Slim Schaedle
12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Do what you gotta do to get shredded. I just don't think it's that hard.

Shredded is a pretty intense word to be throwing around....

Titanium_Jim
12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes, two cheat meals a week is fine. My fiancee did that very successfully, on the same days. She would eat extremely clean during the week, and then we would have fast food one friday and saturday nights. I think she lost 30-40lbs in about a 6 month period, and she has hypothyroidism. If you want to be very precise, try to figure out your caloric intake requirement for maintenance, and then count how much you take in a week, counting the 2 cheat meals. If you are still enough under maintenance at the end of every week, then no worries.

brihead301
12-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Shredded is a pretty intense word to be throwing around....

Ya I guess you got a point.

Slim Schaedle
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Ya I guess you got a point.

:hello:

trim_jim
12-18-2007, 02:42 AM
I think that cheating will only give bad result. If you want to be lean and cut, just avoid cheating and must have self-control in your diet.

Optimum08
12-18-2007, 08:07 AM
I think that cheating will only give bad result. If you want to be lean and cut, just avoid cheating and must have self-control in your diet.

I don't agree. If you can manage without cheat meals then by all means, but if cheat meals help keep you clean the rest of the week then have a couple of cheat meals. I also feel that the whole clean eating thing shouldn't get in the way of a couple of nights out a week with your friends.

sharkall2003
12-18-2007, 08:37 AM
What's your definition of a cheat meal? A thousand calorie nutrient void dinner? A cheat meal to me is two Oreo's. A cheat meal could also be a two pound steak loaded with steak sauce and potatoes with butter like I have once a month or so. It just depends what you consider a "cheat" meal. However, if you're going to be eating clean, my opinion is that you should have a cheat meal once every 10-14 days and make it under 500 calories. That's just my preference. It works for me. It satisfies a very small sweet-tooth that I have and it leaves me not feeling guilty.

beachmuscles
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
All my cheat meals are always actual dinner meals...For example Chicken, Steak, Fish...Just usually sloppy. For example:

N.Y. Strip Steak - A 10 oz. U.S.D.A. choice cut of beef served on garlic toast and your choice of two sides. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Two sides:

Black Beans & Rice or Bobs Baked Beans
Veggies

Or something like

Half Pound Black Angus Burger - Cooked to order! Served with lettuce, tomato, pickle and your choice of side

Side:

Potato Salad

I mean I know black beans/rice/veggies sound healthy, but they are definitely all greased up. All my cheats always have a meat source though, I never really cheat on pizza/ice cream/cookies...I just don't really crave it, and I feel bad not having protein ahha

Slim Schaedle
12-19-2007, 05:32 PM
. All my cheats always have a meat source though, I never really cheat on pizza/ice cream/cookies...I just don't really crave it, and I feel bad not having protein ahha

Pizza has alot of protein.

beachmuscles
12-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Pizza has alot of protein.

LOL, Does it really? What just from the cheese?

BBB
12-19-2007, 06:04 PM
What's your definition of a cheat meal? A thousand calorie nutrient void dinner? A cheat meal to me is two Oreo's. A cheat meal could also be a two pound steak loaded with steak sauce and potatoes with butter like I have once a month or so. It just depends what you consider a "cheat" meal. However, if you're going to be eating clean, my opinion is that you should have a cheat meal once every 10-14 days and make it under 500 calories. That's just my preference. It works for me. It satisfies a very small sweet-tooth that I have and it leaves me not feeling guilty.

Not everyone gets a kick out of depriving themselves.

My ex was at his most ripped when he ate a 8oz brownie every day...2 x a week is fine for a cheat meal is fine - especially if it's not a binge.

Slim Schaedle
12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
LOL, Does it really? What just from the cheese?

Yep.

RhodeHouse
12-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Difference between living, and being shredded.

Take steroids - problems solved

RhodeHouse
12-19-2007, 09:16 PM

Dave Tate told Vincent and I, that he was allowed 1 cheat meal per week on his cut. As long as he kept eating, he could eat whatever and as much as he wanted. He said one meal, he had over 6000 calories. When he got full, he lined up raisins on the table and ate them, one at a time, until he got hungry again to eat. It's a cheat meal. That's the point of it. Do what you will.

Songsangnim
12-19-2007, 09:23 PM

As someone else already said, you can have ten cheat meals in a week and still stay lean.

As long as you take in less calories than you burn you will lose fat, regardless of what you eat. If you take in the same amount that you burn you will maintain weight.

It's not cheat meals that will get you fat per se. It's excess calories be they from clean meals or cheat meals.

beachmuscles
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
As someone else already said, you can have ten cheat meals in a week and still stay lean.

As long as you take in less calories than you burn you will lose fat, regardless of what you eat. If you take in the same amount that you burn you will maintain weight.

It's not cheat meals that will get you fat per se. It's excess calories be they from clean meals or cheat meals.

I never really understood what you are telling me...I realize it's calories in vs. calories out. But, where do you draw the line?

So if I hit good calories #'s for a cut eating Pizza all day vs. eating grilled chicken/brown rice, am I going to look the same?

I mean anyone can lose fat, my brother is skinny as can be and eats hot pockets all day...does he look good, not at all.

Songsangnim
12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
I never really understood what you are telling me...I realize it's calories in vs. calories out. But, where do you draw the line?

So if I hit good calories #'s for a cut eating Pizza all day vs. eating grilled chicken/brown rice, am I going to look the same?

I mean anyone can lose fat, my brother is skinny as can be and eats hot pockets all day...does he look good, not at all.

Well that's a different kettle of fish altogether. Obviously I'm not recommending anyone just eat pizza and ice cream all day. But a couple of cheat meals (especially under the conditions you described in your first post) per week is not going to make a huge difference if the rest of your meals are pretty clean. That's a very small percentage of your weekly total intake. If you eat say 5 meals a day that's 35 meals a week. 2 less clean ones (which still seem to be pretty high in protein) aren't going to make a noticeable difference...maybe if you were a pro bodybuilder.

As for your brother he probably doesn't train or rest right either...which is why he doesn't look good. As long as the vast majority of your meals are quality, the vast majority of your training is on, and you are getting plenty of rest, a couple of meals a week are not going to make that much difference in the long run. I'd say you can rest easy.

sharkall2003
12-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Dave Tate told Vincent and I, that he was allowed 1 cheat meal per week on his cut. As long as he kept eating, he could eat whatever and as much as he wanted. He said one meal, he had over 6000 calories. When he got full, he lined up raisins on the table and ate them, one at a time, until he got hungry again to eat. It's a cheat meal. That's the point of it. Do what you will.

Yeah, I guess that's what works for him. I'm not a big junk-food eater anyways, so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Not everyone gets a kick out of depriving themselves.

My ex was at his most ripped when he ate a 8oz brownie every day...2 x a week is fine for a cheat meal is fine - especially if it's not a binge.

Some people like to have that everyday. That's not my thing. I just said if he was eating clean. What works for one person, might not work for another. I just said it was my preference.

RhodeHouse
12-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I guess that's what works for him. I'm not a big junk-food eater anyways, so it's not that big of a deal to me.

Some people like to have that everyday. That's not my thing. I just said if he was eating clean. What works for one person, might not work for another. I just said it was my preference.

If you're getting where you want to be, by all means, don't screw with it. The wheel works, no need to re-invent it, right?

sharkall2003
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
If you're getting where you want to be, by all means, don't screw with it. The wheel works, no need to re-invent it, right?

Right. I have friends that eat four or five double cheeseburgers everyday for lunch to gain weight. I don't advocate eating like that, but he's eating just that for lunch and he can barely get past 159 pounds. I say, cheat if you want. My goal is ultimate health. That means perfect blood pressure, standing heart rate below 55, below 10% bodyfat. Everyone has their own goals and once I figure out what works for me I'll maybe cheat a little more here and there. Until then, though, I'm going to do what I have to do to get where I want to be.

Good luck to everyone.

SaintGJR
12-26-2007, 06:57 AM
If you eat 49 meals per week and 1 or 2 of them are 'treats', that doesnt seem bad to me.

ShockBoxer
01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Just be careful about not going overboard with the calories during a cheat meal. I tried to cut back in November-December by eating 1800 calories on weekdays and 2500 on weekend days. I ended up throwing on 5 pounds because my 2500 days sometimes wandered into the realm of 4000+ (one day I ate two packets of instant oatmeal, had two peanut butter sandwiches, went out for chinese and had two meat eggrolls, an entire platter of lemon chicken, then washed it down with an entire box of apple turnovers and a quarter liter of haggan-daas. NOT 2500 calories.)

I'm trying again with 'less than 2000' and 'less than 3000' on the weekend, and tracking a hell of a lot more carefully.

Da Wasian
01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
It shouldnt be a problem.