PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating enough to lose weight??

dday
12-18-2007, 12:26 PM
This may be a silly question but something isn't working out for me. I've been trying to drop weight for 6 months and have only lost about 15lbs. I'm currently on the stop eating so damn much diet but maybe I'm eating to little. I've only been tracking my calories for the last couple of weeks and I'm eating about 2200 calories a day but have been eating this way for the entire 6 months. According to the calculators I've found, to maintain I should be eating around 3500 calories to maintain.
I work out for an hour 4 times a week in the mornings but my job requires me to sit for 8hrs a day. How do you know if you aren't eating enough? I don't feel sluggish, think pretty clearly (for the most part) none of the signs of starvation that I know.
Some infor you might want. I'm 6ft 2in 270lbs and got some solid muscle on me. Anything else you might need feel free to ask, I just need to figure it out.

BTW: I'm a nutrition idiot, I've read tons of information on this site but when it comes to some of it my eyes cross, I just don't get it so maybe my diet is flawed. Thanks.

Holto
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Well congrats on counting calories. It moves you out of the dark and into the informed.

I would recommend you continue to count calories and accurately determine your maintenance calories. Do this by maintaining weight for 2-3 weeks. Once you have done that bump this thread and we will help you put together a new nutrition plan.

If you have suppressed your metabolism a few weeks at maintenance will help it recover and get your thyroid functioning again.

dday
12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Holto, I'm using Fitday to keep track as best I can, so I'll be back in a few weeks to see.

bjohnso
12-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Are you sure you're eating 2200 Cals a day? Are you measuring and weighing everything?

dday
12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Are you sure you're eating 2200 Cals a day? Are you measuring and weighing everything?

I've not been anal about it, usually go off the package, like eating a chicken breast and using the weight the butcher priced me at. Or when I eat cereal I eat out of a bowl that has a line that says how many cups, that sort of thing but I have not been pulling out a scale or anything.

Yesterday I eat 2379 calories which is a bit higher than usual but not much.

Holto
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
I've not been anal about it, usually go off the package, like eating a chicken breast and using the weight the butcher priced me at. Or when I eat cereal I eat out of a bowl that has a line that says how many cups, that sort of thing but I have not been pulling out a scale or anything.

Yesterday I eat 2379 calories which is a bit higher than usual but not much.

The scale is nice but the measuring should be adequate. It's also relative. If 2000 cals (the way you measure it) is your maintenance then it will continue to be so.

dday
12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
The scale is nice but the measuring should be adequate. It's also relative. If 2000 cals (the way you measure it) is your maintenance then it will continue to be so.

Thanks again Holto.
I also decided to crank up the work out this week, increased reps, less rest and heavier weights, if this doesn't work I'm going on a major gainer diet and super heavy weight in an effort to get my shoulders and legs wider than my stomach :D

mickyjune26
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm confused. Are your maintenance cals 2200 or 3500?

EDIT 3500 cals

WBBIRL
12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I know that when i tracked I was shocked to find how slow my BMR was.

For as big as I am, I was cutting at 2200-2500 calories. =/

some of us just got shafted with slow metabolisms

bjohnso
12-20-2007, 06:48 AM

I agree, but if he's not measuring everything out he may be eating a lot more than he thinks he is.