PDA

View Full Version : Snatch Squat problem, need help.

Nicca
12-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey, new to this forum and didn't notice another topic on this but...

I do Snatch Squats in my workout routine and I don't feel that I do them correctly because of balance issues.

When I snatch up the barbell I am fine but once I get it over my head and begin to go into my squat I can only go down a little bit because the lift requires me to be able to pull the barbell behind my head as I go down in order to keep balanced. However I can't get my arms back far enough behind my head to allow me to create a proper 90 degree angle at my knees.

I'm looking for a couple of things:

1. I can't find any videos of this lift, if anyone has any available that would be great and would help me see if I can change anything to help my lift.

2. What can I do to increase my arm/shoulder flexability?

3. Are there other lifts that are good for balance that I could replace this lift with?

:bang:

Thanks for the help!

Nicca
12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok, after trying out a few different things and talking to some people I was able to get the squat down to 90 degrees but in order to do this I had to widen my stance significantly. Out past shoulder width by quite a bit. Is this acceptable with this workout? Am I still recieving the benefits of the workout with the wider stance? Its the only way I've been able to get the bar behind my head and get a low squat. :)

JHarris
12-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, after trying out a few different things and talking to some people I was able to get the squat down to 90 degrees but in order to do this I had to widen my stance significantly. Out past shoulder width by quite a bit. Is this acceptable with this workout? Am I still recieving the benefits of the workout with the wider stance? Its the only way I've been able to get the bar behind my head and get a low squat. :)

First off, a squat is hamstrings on calves in Olympic lifting - 90 degrees is a half squat. You should not be widening your feet out a huge amount - it sounds like you have both shoulders and posterior chain flexibility, though I can't say specifically without seeing a video.

The first thing you can do is stretch your posterior chain! Hamstrings, Glutes and lower back - stretch after workouts and do a good job with it. You can also do a stretch for your shoulders called shoulder dislocates: grab a broom stick and grip as wide as you can to be able to put it behind your head and then behind your back. Then try to narrow your hands some. I'd also work on calf flexibility; having very flexible ankles can rescue a lot of other flexibility issues in olympic lifting. Keep in mind you want your knees to go as far out as possible - just make sure you keep your weight on your heels.

This is the first sideview snatch I saw on youtube - not ideal as he jumps back, but then again this guy is world class so I can't complain too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSxxajrTO5w

What I want you to notice is how upright he is in the bottom position. (Also, note how low he is.) Also look at how far out his knees go over his toes - this is completely normal and expected. I'm guessing you are pitching very far forward as you try to squat down - this is where posterior chain/ankle flexibility really come into play. The idea is to stay as upright as possible and sit down, not back.

Rusty
12-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Maybe look into sensei's 'Squat RX' videos. I believe he did a piece on over-head squats.