PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroid/diabetic friendly diet?

metroid
12-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I noticed there were members who are hypothyroid. What I'd like to know is if anyone has a safe hypo or even diabetic (usually similar diets) diet plan I could take a look at, it would really help.

My plan would be to be gain weight actually, but I'm curious what you hypo people eat and were safe on.

Our main enemies are lethargy, low body temperature, and bad bacteria in the gut/tongue. A good diet will produce a red tongue (no white stuff on it), solid energy throughout the day, and a warm body temperature.

Right now I'm 6'1" and hovering between 150 and 170, which is bad. I really need to gain weight. The cause for the weight loss I've had since becoming hypo is being hypoadrenal, I barely produce any cortisol. No cortisol == no body fat. I'm fairly strong and have a low body fat % (not a 6 pack yet, but then again I don't do situps).

:lurk:

TopCat
12-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Regarding the hypothyroidism I assume you know yours is low? I ask only because I know that levothyroxine (synthroid) is a safe drug used to raise your thyroid levels. I would be surprised that if your levels were low enough that your doctor wouldn't prescribe you a low dose. Considering I recently had my gland removed, I understand the lethargic aspect of hypothyroidism and have to admit... it sucks.

Holto
12-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Do you mean overactive thyroid ie: Hyper?

Bad bacteria in the gut/tongue.

Easily fixed with acidophilus supps etc. Udo's makes a lozenge that will help at the beginning of the digestive tract.

Right now I'm 6'1" and hovering between 150 and 170, which is bad. I really need to gain weight. The cause for the weight loss I've had since becoming hypo is being hypoadrenal, I barely produce any cortisol. No cortisol == no body fat. I'm fairly strong and have a low body fat % (not a 6 pack yet, but then again I don't do situps).

Step 1: Determine maintenace calories
Step 2: Consume more than maintenance until you reach a desired weight

metroid
12-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Regarding the hypothyroidism I assume you know yours is low? I ask only because I know that levothyroxine (synthroid) is a safe drug used to raise your thyroid levels. I would be surprised that if your levels were low enough that your doctor wouldn't prescribe you a low dose. Considering I recently had my gland removed, I understand the lethargic aspect of hypothyroidism and have to admit... it sucks.

I take Armour, 2 grains and cortef (hydrocortisone) 10mg, daily.

it's fairly effective. still trying to get into the mid to upper range though, it's hard to raise higher without feeling pressure or getting heart palpatations

Do you mean overactive thyroid ie: Hyper?

I'm 100% hypo, underactive. I only lose weight and look cut because I produce low amount of adrenal cortisol.

Easily fixed with acidophilus supps etc. Udo's makes a lozenge that will help at the beginning of the digestive tract.

not helping me, and I've even tried Diflucan for 14 days(while downing tons of acidophilus pills), nada..

I'll try Udo's.

Step 1: Determine maintenace calories
Step 2: Consume more than maintenance until you reach a desired weight

just scared my maintenance is something like 3000 to 5000...