PDA

View Full Version : Just want to clear about something on deadlifts

brihead301
12-19-2007, 07:41 AM
So you're supposed to hold your breath during the entire rep of a deadlift? I have been taking a deep breath, holding it, and blowing out my air really hard as I pull the weight up. But is it recommended to hold your breath the whole time?

WillKuenzel
12-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Yes. If you blow out your air before the completion of the lift you're losing stability through the ROM, making it more difficult.

brihead301
12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I didn't know that. I always thought that blowing out my air during the lift was protecting my spine more. I'll try holding my breath from now on.

Chubrock
12-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Holding your breathe increases the pressure in your body and helps increase stability. By blowing out and relaxing you actually end up putting yourself in a worse position as far as supporting the spine.

brihead301
12-19-2007, 08:06 AM
I learn something new everyday!

So would it be suggested to do the same thing for squats too? Hold your breath throughout the entire rep - down and up?

drew
12-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Yes, same for squats.

brihead301
12-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the quick replies fellows.

Sensei
12-19-2007, 08:51 AM
It's ok to let some air out on the exertion, but it needs to be "pressurized" and if you let too much out you will lose intra-abdominal pressure.

brihead301
12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
It's ok to let some air out on the exertion, but it needs to be "pressurized" and if you let too much out you will lose intra-abdominal pressure.

That's kind of what I do for deadlifts. It's kind of like opening up an air valve just a little bit. I still keep my abs as tight as possible throughout the lift, but since everyone else recommends just completely holding your breath, I think I will try that next time I deadlift.

Hatred
12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I need a pressure relief valve in the top of my skull. That'd be neat. Pull and have this little jet of blood hit the ceiling.

RedSpikeyThing
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I think the reason a lot of people say to blow out air as you lift is because if you blow hard it contracts your abs. Compared to breathing normally, this is more intra-abdominal pressure. BUT, with practice, you can keep your core a lot tighter by not blowing out - especially when you use a belt.

I usually do this for squats. I tend to grunt just as I get past my sticking point. I think it's because I can grind out squats a lot better than deads, so I end up holding my breath for a longer period of time.