PDA

View Full Version : Post-Workout Meal, tastes great, but how's it look?

WILLGETNICE
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
So I think I understand what my body needs after a work out, but if I'm missing anything in my post-workout meal let me know, this is what it looks like:

2 scoops ON whey on the ride home...
...2 servings oatmeal with raisins and honey
Egg whites
Fish Oil

I try and get an abundance of carbs in my diet, and I know I need the insulin spike post-workout so I figured since honey is really high on the glycemic index it would take care of that along with the raisins. The oatmeal is slower digesting, the eggs...well I just like to eat egg whites in general and they give me some extra protein. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Will

arnoldsclone
12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
So I think I understand what my body needs after a work out, but if I'm missing anything in my post-workout meal let me know, this is what it looks like:

2 scoops ON whey on the ride home...
...2 servings oatmeal with raisins and honey
Egg whites
Fish Oil

I try and get an abundance of carbs in my diet, and I know I need the insulin spike post-workout so I figured since honey is really high on the glycemic index it would take care of that along with the raisins. The oatmeal is slower digesting, the eggs...well I just like to eat egg whites in general and they give me some extra protein. Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Will

sounds perfect , i wouldn't change a thing.....

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
By the time you combine all that and shovel it in, glycemic ratings don't eally matter too incredibly much.

If you are really looking for a boost in insulin, just go with dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

Ditch the honey and raisins, in that case, and save them for later.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 02:33 PM
...Not to mention both honey and rainsins are dominantly composed of fructose, which does nothing for insulin response even by itself.

Con
12-21-2007, 02:54 PM
...Not to mention both honey and rainsins are dominantly composed of fructose, which does nothing for insulin response even by itself.

I remember lyle commenting something about 10% of carbs coming from fructose would be beneficial. So wouldnt those carbs be well placed, assuming he doesnt get massive amounts of fructose in addition to this?

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I remember lyle commenting something about 10% of carbs coming from fructose would be beneficial. So wouldnt those carbs be well placed, assuming he doesnt get massive amounts of fructose in addition to this?

Yeah, he mentions 50g of carbs coming from fructose in reference to carb loads.

But the OP is talking about something slightly different.

It's not that the fructose will hurt him (even if there was more...depending on rest of diet of course)

But with a goal to spike insulin, combining all that, and having most of the sugar come from fuctose isn't going to get the job done.

Con
12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
It's not that the fructose will hurt him (even if there was more...depending on rest of diet of course)

Thanks, and while I got you talking, this triggered something I was wondering about.

Is there an upper limit to how much fructose a person wants in their diet?

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks, and while I got you talking, this triggered something I was wondering about.

Is there an upper limit to how much fructose a person wants in their diet?

Well, it's like glucose that converts to glycogen in muscle

If not used, we know what will happen.

Apply that to the liver, where frutose converts to glycogen as an end product to be used for energy.

But, then also throw in the fact that more carbs will be coming in (ingested) and those can provide energy to muscle AND liver.

So there are two factors that make it easier for fructose to be converted to fatty acids.

But then we also know that fatty acids are not automatically converted to triglycerides and deposited in the adipocyte (fat cell) unless the dietary state of the individual dictate that.

So, to answer the question, it's anybody's guess.

Or technically, whatever amount prevents over-conversion and storage of fatty acids with respect to overal diet and activity.

But good luck figuring out that exact number :)

(Studies have shown that adults have trouble absorbing up to 60g fructose at a time though)

samadhi_smiles
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I've been reading about this all day.

Here is a consensus I have found for the perfect PWO shake:
40g protein whey hydrosylate (sp?)
30g dextrose
30g maltodextrin

Comments?

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I've been reading about this all day.

Here is a consensus I have found for the perfect PWO shake:
40g protein whey hydrosylate (sp?)
30g dextrose
30g maltodextrin

Comments?

My only comment is that "perfection" is relative.

I would guage carb grams accordingly with respect to session length, and how much glycogen is being depleted, and the person's glucose tolerance.

I have consisnetly had shakes with up to 200grams glucose with no problems.

Many people can't do that.

But yeah, it does look good.