PDA

View Full Version : Fat Sources

KristianT
12-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of a long term clean bulk. I am been trying to formulate a new diet for the next month.

The new diet loads
3900 calories,
347g carbs, 46%
285g protein 38%
115g fat. 15%

From my understanding, the bodies natural steroid hormones such as testosterone are produced from saturated fats. I just don't think that 15% fat is going to cut it in terms of giving me the nutritional support to produce a plentiful supply of these hormones.

The solution may sound simple enough. Just add more fat... However prior to the start of my bulk I was in a very long term cutting cycle. A cut which took about 2 years, shredded 15% of bf and lost about 30 kg. In that time I solidified in my head that foods high in saturated fats are bad.
Now the time has come to bulk and I just can't willingly take in such foods.

In my formulated diet all of my food comes from clean sources. Tuna and other types of fish being large contributors. And of course tuna and most fish are low in saturated fat.

Can you guys recommend any sources of fat which would be appropriate for my situation.

I've heard somewhere (either on this forum or on t-nation) that some people take a sip of olive oil i believe it was (may have been a different kind of oil). Just a tiny sip as if it was a bottle of whiskey. They did this with the aim of providing the fats needed to provide good joint lubrication and of course to produce those much needed hormones.
What are your takes on this?

arnoldsclone
12-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,
I'm in the process of a long term clean bulk. I am been trying to formulate a new diet for the next month.

The new diet loads
3900 calories,
347g carbs, 46%
285g protein 38%
115g fat. 15%

From my understanding, the bodies natural steroid hormones such as testosterone are produced from saturated fats. I just don't think that 15% fat is going to cut it in terms of giving me the nutritional support to produce a plentiful supply of these hormones.

The solution may sound simple enough. Just add more fat... However prior to the start of my bulk I was in a very long term cutting cycle. A cut which took about 2 years, shredded 15% of bf and lost about 30 kg. In that time I solidified in my head that foods high in saturated fats are bad.
Now the time has come to bulk and I just can't willingly take in such foods.

In my formulated diet all of my food comes from clean sources. Tuna and other types of fish being large contributors. And of course tuna and most fish are low in saturated fat.

Can you guys recommend any sources of fat which would be appropriate for my situation.

I've heard somewhere (either on this forum or on t-nation) that some people take a sip of olive oil i believe it was (may have been a different kind of oil). Just a tiny sip as if it was a bottle of whiskey. They did this with the aim of providing the fats needed to provide good joint lubrication and of course to produce those much needed hormones.
What are your takes on this?

egg yolks, have 2-4 daily they are great for hormone production, cook things in olive oil, or addd it to your proetein shakes, just a teaspoon or 2. cheese, whole milk, red meats....

Notorious
12-21-2007, 05:00 PM
You don't need to sip olive oil, just add a couple of spoons to some food or shake. Other good sources of fat are fish oil capsules (although that will only be 10g a day) and peanut butter.

1ManRiot
12-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Foods to eat for omega 3 content -

Flax seeds, flax oil, walnuts, salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, anchovies, pilchards.

Foods to eat for omega 6 content -

Walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, almonds, rape seed, soybeans, olive oil, grapeseed oil, pine nuts, pistachio nuts, borage oil, chestnut oil.

Foods to eat for omega 9 content -

Canola oil, sunflower oil, olives, avocados, almonds, peanuts, sesame oil, pecans, pistachio nuts, cashews, hazlenuts, macadamia nuts.

KristianT
12-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Adding 4 tablespoons of olive oil to my diet would give me.

4400 calories
347 carb 43%
285 protein 36%
169 fat 21%

Its not exactly a great taste to gulp down oil straight off a spoon. Although with nuts being crazily overpriced down here in Australia I may have to stick with this option.
Pumpkin seeds are fairly cheap though, I will look into them.

The 4 tablespoons of olive oil seems to do a good job of fixing up my nutrition statistics. It brings the diet much closer to the standard 40%/40%/20%. However I am going to have to do some research into ideal omega 3:6:9 ratios. I wouldn't want to omega 6 my way into deficiencies in omega 3 and 9.

BFGUITAR
12-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Your thinkin too hard bud.

Built
12-23-2007, 10:39 AM
What do you weigh? If you are carrying more than 230 lbs of lean mass, then 115g of fat won't cut it. If your lean mass is 230 lbs or less, 115g of fat is ample.

Figure out how much lbm you have. Supposing it's 180 lbs. That would mean hit up at least 90g of fat daily, of which about 30g are from each of monounsaturates, saturates, and polyunsaturates (tuck 10 g of fish oil in here). If you go higher in fat than this (which is fine, by the way) - err on the side of monos.

And get away from percentages. You can see how they've led you astray here.

Slim Schaedle
12-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Your thinkin too hard bud.

How?

VikingWarlord
12-23-2007, 10:55 AM
How?

Because it's not the Rhodestown method, dammit!

Slim Schaedle
12-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Because it's not the Rhodestown method, dammit!

lol

I should have known

BFGUITAR
12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Because a 40/40/20 split isnt going to make a bulk any more cleaner lol.

KristianT
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I haven't chosen the 40/40/20 in attempt to clean up the bulk. It is being used as a reference mark to make sure that I'm getting enough protein and fat to support my growth.

Built, I weigh 190 lb. So it looks like the 115g of fat will be enough.

VikingWarlord
12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
There's no compelling reason to use the ratio as a reference point. The reference point should be your protein and fat intake in grams against total calories. Ratios are pretty much useless.

BFGUITAR
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
:withstupi:

KristianT
12-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I see. Its a good thing i posted here then so i could learn a thing or two.

How do I figure out the appropriate amount of grams that i need for carbs protein and fats?

BFGUITAR
12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Heres a general guideline

1-1.5 g of protein for every lb of lean body mass
0.5 g fat for every lb

Fill the remainder of calories with what ever you like... carbs, more protein or fat. Just make sure you get the required amount of fat and protein.

deeder
12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Minimums:

0.5grams of fat per pound of lean body mass
1.5grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.

Edit: Crap... Too slow yet again :(

VikingWarlord
12-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Heres a general guideline

1-1.5 g of protein for every lb of lean body mass
0.5 g fat for every lb

Fill the remainder of calories with what ever you like... carbs, more protein or fat. Just make sure you get the required amount of fat and protein.

The only time a percentage is recommended is when determining fats. Most people suggest about 1/3 of your fat intake be saturated fat. If you eat more than .5g/lb, try to skew toward monounsaturated fats.

It all sounds more complicated than it is.

Slim Schaedle
12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Because a 40/40/20 split isnt going to make a bulk any more cleaner lol.

Agreed.

However, I don't think that paying attention to the makeup up total fat intake(ratios of sat, mono, poly, etc) is overthinking.

BFGUITAR
12-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Never said it was :p

Slim Schaedle
12-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Never said it was :p

I was going off of your initial post which was under the OP's discussing overall ratios, also which included ratios of fat sources and deficiencies.